SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Comments on HPC Phase II

fightingsioux4life

15 hours ago, UNDBIZ said:

Who did the Med School?  Wasn't that JLG?  Mark me down as not a big fan.

Outside is "meh" depending on which part you're looking at, however I have heard nothing but rave reviews from students about the building itself, so at least that is a positive.

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Outside is "meh" depending on which part you're looking at, however I have heard nothing but rave reviews from students about the building itself, so at least that is a positive.

The natural light inside is fantastic.  The outside looks like a corporate office structure, just a big cube.  And whoever picked out the furniture should be shot.

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

In fairness, most med students would rave about a pig sty if it meant they got in.

Med students are already" in" and don't tend to rave about crappy environments.    Med students complain about lots of issues including poor facilities.  The new med school is impressive.  I'm not sure there is anything to complain about. 

28 minutes ago, iramurphy said:

Med students are already" in" and don't tend to rave about crappy environments.    Med students complain about lots of issues including poor facilities.  The new med school is impressive.  I'm not sure there is anything to complain about. 

From a design standpoint, it was an opportunity to make a huge statement about the future of UND and they chose to play it safe and quick with boxes stacked on boxes. I personally would have preferred something more dynamic. JLG did a really good job on Wilkie for example. 

19 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

From a design standpoint, it was an opportunity to make a huge statement about the future of UND and they chose to play it safe and quick with boxes stacked on boxes. I personally would have preferred something more dynamic. JLG did a really good job on Wilkie for example. 

I'm not sure what their options were on the outside but the interior design was done for functionality and they absolutely nailed that part of it. I'd rather have that then a fancy looking building that is a disaster inside, though that doesn't mean they couldn't have done more on the exterior. There were also some funding issues towards the end with appropriated money and I'm guessing some exterior designs were the first thing to go.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

I'm not sure what their options were on the outside but the interior design was done for functionality and they absolutely nailed that part of it. I'd rather have that then a fancy looking building that is a disaster inside, though that doesn't mean they couldn't have done more on the exterior. There were also some funding issues towards the end with appropriated money and I'm guessing some exterior designs were the first thing to go.

The reason you pay architects is so the building functions and looks great as well while meeting the budget. 2/3 isn't good enough for a major project like the med building.  Budgets are a limiting factor on all projects so that is no excuse. It's not necessarily expensive to make a building look great, we aren't in the Baroque period anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

The reason you pay architects is so the building functions and looks great as well while meeting the budget. 2/3 isn't good enough for a major project like the med building.  Budgets are a limiting factor on all projects so that is no excuse. It's not necessarily expensive to make a building look great, we aren't in the Baroque period anymore. 

From my untrained eye, it looks like they incorporated the same brickwork design that is on all the buildings in the entire University Village addition and a ton of windows for natural light. I guess I'm not sure what they could have done differently and still make it flow with the rest of the area but I'd be curious to see what you had in mind. 

I think it definitely looks better than the new med school Ole Miss opened up last year:

The new School of Medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center stands five floors high and has square footage of about 151,000 feet.

2 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7kvfnqNocU

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

From my untrained eye, it looks like they incorporated the same brickwork design that is on all the buildings in the entire University Village addition and a ton of windows for natural light. I guess I'm not sure what they could have done differently and still make it flow with the rest of the area but I'd be curious to see what you had in mind. 

I think it definitely looks better than the new med school Ole Miss opened up last year:

The new School of Medicine at the University of Mississippi Medical Center stands five floors high and has square footage of about 151,000 feet.

If they wanted it to flow with the rest of the buildings on campus why would they choose an entirely rectilinear form? I just don't think the exterior of the building does it justice. 

6 hours ago, iramurphy said:

You're nuts. Students who were a slam dunk (top MCAT, GPA, credentials) likely had their choice of schools. Everyone else is just grateful for a slot ANYWHERE, and for most applicants it's simply not in the cards. Being that MDs only spend two years in classroom teaching, you can't possibly convince me that "facilities" factor one iota into the equation. The condition of the building is known at the time of application and admission. With all the studying, who has time to complain anyway?

5 hours ago, Cratter said:

The med school is the largest public project in North Dakota history.

$124 million.

When I've talked about UND having a bullseye on it's back people point to Med School. In my humble opinion the Med School funding  was to keep the conservatives from jumping ship. In the eyes of many GF not the city to take it to the next level. UND has had the last 100 years time to pass the baton.

On January 30, 2018 at 5:33 PM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

You're nuts. Students who were a slam dunk (top MCAT, GPA, credentials) likely had their choice of schools. Everyone else is just grateful for a slot ANYWHERE, and for most applicants it's simply not in the cards. Being that MDs only spend two years in classroom teaching, you can't possibly convince me that "facilities" factor one iota into the equation. The condition of the building is known at the time of application and admission. With all the studying, who has time to complain anyway?

After having attended Medical School at UND and at Mayo I may not have the same perspective as you.  Where did you attend?  The reference was to medical students not pre-med students.  Medical students will complain about lots of things including facilities and faculty. Medical education is different at different medical schools. Mayo didn't use the traditional 2 yrs of classroom medical science then 2 years of clinical work. UND no longer teaches the way we were taught and the facilities are outstanding. The facilities are what they are and if the facilities are not current and up to the present standards medical students will complain.  Many Pre-med students aren't aware of the facilities unless they apply to the med school where they did their undergrad work. They are anxious to get accepted.  I had time to referee high school and some college FB and BB during med school and often reffed 3-4 games per week.  I also had time to complain if I elected to.  Sorry to disagree.

• Upvote 3

56 minutes ago, UND92 said:

Image result for Und School of MedicineImage result for Und School of MedicineImage result for Und School of Medicine

These pictures show a Pretty Nice building.  I for one am more for functionality and do not think Public Buildings should be built for Looks.  When you are spending public dollars, conservative thought should win out.  I don't think there is anything to be ashamed of with this building.  I drive by it every week and it is pretty impressive.

Drives me crazy with new high schools today.  Spend more money on exterior glass and commons areas than is necessary.  I'm not saying the natural light/urban feel isn't needed but I'd rather have more technology inside the building than drive by and see a flashy exterior.   

14 minutes ago, homer said:

Drives me crazy with new high schools today.  Spend more money on exterior glass and commons areas than is necessary.  I'm not saying the natural light/urban feel isn't needed but I'd rather have more technology inside the building than drive by and see a flashy exterior.   

Design a space to bring people together? That’s a waste. It’s a school not a prison.

• 3 months later...

FYI, UND just requested to start fundraising for Phase 2. 117,000 sqft and $35M.

http://ndus.edu/uploads/resources/8832/summary-und-hpc-phase-ii-fundraising.pdf

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4443710-und-athletics-focus-shifts-second-phase-high-performance-center

Apologies if it's already been posted. Didn't see it after a quick search of the obvious threads.

Found it because NDSU requested the same fundraising authorization for two IPFs. One small one($2M - 11K sqft) just for softball, and a main one($37.2M - 120K sqft) for most everything else but T&F. NDSU's main field will be much smaller than the HPF(85K sqft vs 195K), but NDSU doesn't need the track since they have a separate indoor facility just for that. Never realized how much the track balloons out an IPF until I did the math. The FB field portion of the HPF only works out to 57,600 sqft. The remaining 135K+ sqft is all for T&F space plus a buffer around the perimeter. Don't know for certain if NDSU's will be a 100yd field like SDSU's or a full 120yd field like UND's, but either is mathematically possible at this point.