SiouxSports.com Forum

President Kennedy Comments on HPC Phase II

fightingsioux4life

Saw this piece in today's Heraldo regarding the future renovation of Hyslop into a STEM science facility and the future of HPC Phase II:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4391024-proposal-would-convert-unds-hyslop-stem-facility

The build-out of the second stage is estimated to cost a further $15 million and would include locker space, coaching offices and facilities for sports medicine, academic support and strength and conditioning. The addition would be backed by private fundraising.

"We're planning on there being an HPC two, there's been plans there already," he said. "But we need to answer, are our fundraising efforts realistic, do we have the potential to raise that kind of money? Or do we need to scale it where we can meet fundraising objectives? That's part of what needs to get wrapped up in the master plan."

Well, that was encouraging. (sarcasm) :angry::silly:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Saw this piece in today's Heraldo regarding the future renovation of Hyslop into a STEM science facility and the future of HPC Phase II:

http://www.grandforksherald.com/news/4391024-proposal-would-convert-unds-hyslop-stem-facility

Well, that was encouraging. (sarcasm) :angry::silly:

The build-out of the second stage is estimated to cost a further $15 million and would include locker space, coaching offices and facilities for sports medicine, academic support and strength and conditioning. The addition would be backed by private fundraising.

"We're planning on there being an HPC two, there's been plans there already," he said. "But we need to answer, are our fundraising efforts realistic, do we have the potential to raise that kind of money? Or do we need to scale it where we can meet fundraising objectives? That's part of what needs to get wrapped up in the master plan."

Move forward with a fundraising drive for the original plan, if all funds are not attainable, then scale it. This complete package is a healthy finish for the Athletic Department & the U. 

Sounds like there is a little doubt in our supporting fan base or a reserved willingness of Pres. Kennedy to dive into the support of the whole plan (Phase II). 

46 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kennedy's cuts seemed to strike where there was a strategic opportunity.

Hyslop's open space would make a great UPSON II, which is engineering lab space.

So swimming had to go.

Ray Richards will make way for a new stadium and Hospital.

would they tear down the swimming pool addition?

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Kennedy's cuts seemed to strike where there was a strategic opportunity.

Hyslop's open space would make a great UPSON II, which is engineering lab space.

So swimming had to go.

Ray Richards will make way for a new stadium and Hospital.

1. Cuts more of the same. Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev. We will bury you. #

2. Is that in the plans?

3. To Fargo no West Fargo

4. People miss Ray Richards. New is good progress.

#500million

6 minutes ago, moser53 said:

If Mac Schneider was running the ship, state the last 15 years moser53 wouldn't be posting all this stuff.

All the cuts nickname and the other BS would have not happened. He has  common sense.

No politics. Last informal warning.

• Upvote 2

Interesting:

Flagship U is tearing down old smaller buildings and planning on turning an athletic building into academics?

U showing more interest in HPC phase II, in which it would assume the functions that would be removed from the Hyslop?

Ray Richards golf course (80 acres, less roads and right of way) never went for sale in it's 1st year of vacancy, has staying power, as in long term potential? Will the Alerius (Hawk's Nest) fulfill the U's needs for the next few decades?

At gossip stages:
EERC expansion tees off a double cross swing at the old golf course - fore ... hospital takes it's Mulligan but still whiffs? Power Plant eyes the fairway over the BNSF tracks?  First dormitory since Swanson Hall to be built for under par near the large sand trap? Rail baby, light new rail slicing the BNSF heavy rail to connect the old flag-sticks to the Flagship? Unmanned vehicle landing pad replaces the west green?

Grab a wood, take a swing   ...    Hole in one?   ...    Just Say n.

The latest Herald article on the future of Gamble seems to promise major donations coming to build a new business school facing University Ave.  Those donations may have a part going to athletics.  Donations that are solely athletic in nature tend to yield a lot of criticsm from the faculty and associated snowflakes.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

The latest Herald article on the future of Gamble seems to promise major donations coming to build a new business school facing University Ave.  Those donations may have a part going to athletics.  Donations that are solely athletic in nature tend to yield a lot of criticsm from the faculty and associated snowflakes.

This is the answer needed to grow enrollment at UND!  As much as I loved gamble, a new building is badly needed.  Dumping money into that place is a waste.  Not enough meeting areas or study space.  Thank god for the SMIF room or I never would have studied on campus.  That said, isn't the current plan to renovate gamble, rather than build a new school?  I Know a new building was being floated while I was there about 5 years ago, but I kind of feel like that ship has sailed?

59 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This is the answer needed to grow enrollment at UND!  As much as I loved gamble, a new building is badly needed.  Dumping money into that place is a waste.  Not enough meeting areas or study space.  Thank god for the SMIF room or I never would have studied on campus.  That said, isn't the current plan to renovate gamble, rather than build a new school?  I Know a new building was being floated while I was there about 5 years ago, but I kind of feel like that ship has sailed?

Five years ago they talked about a new business college where Chandler Hall was by the coulee.  A decision was made for University for greater visibity so Strinden Hall and nearby buildings were razed.

The Foundation seems to have learned from the Engelstad situation to announce major athletic gifts with an academic component.

17 hours ago, nodak651 said:

Wind changes often in MN and ND.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

< walking past front yard > 

:whistling:

< flip something into front yard > 

http://blogs.und.edu/und-today/wp-content/uploads/sites/68/2018/01/UND-Campus-Master-Plan-30-Year-Vision.pdf  

:whistling:

< walking away > 

Looks like the plan on tearing down Witmer and adding on to Hyslop.

The Business school would be attached to Merrifield and Montgomery, not across University.

10 hours ago, Cratter said:

Montgomery is demolished. The new biz school in its place attached to the Library and Merrifield.

Actually they wouldn't demolish it. The idea is they would somehow incorporate some of the structure.

"We're going to try to integrate the 'bones' of Montgomery," Light said, "to capture the historical legacy of what Montgomery has meant on campus."