SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Welcome to the benevolent ambivalence that is the mediocrity of Fighting Hawks hawkey...

denutered and pathetic... right where kennedy and the rest of the athletic department want.....

und will be the equivilent of mayville state 2 in 10 years if they keep getting their way 

Huh?

34 minutes ago, Irish said:

After we won it all less than two years ago and showcased our fans, our program,  and our top line who all went to the NHL I thought the number of Blue Chippers wanting to come here would increase - we had a well deserved reputation as the place to go to get NHL ready.  Now, less than two years later we get this?  What is going on with Berry ? What is his recruiting strategy?  What is the special teams strategy other than milling about?  One of the worst efforts I have seen.  And to think Minnesota Duluth thinks they own us.  I am so frustrated I it will take two more whiskeys before I go to bed.

Most Blue Chippers are committed their sophomore year in high school or sooner. The team has problems to be sure right now, but I would say you have bigger problems to worry about in life!

44 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Welcome to the benevolent ambivalence that is the mediocrity of Fighting Hawks hawkey...

denutered and pathetic... right where kennedy and the rest of the athletic department want.....

und will be the equivilent of mayville state 2 in 10 years if they keep getting their way 

Go to bed.

Here’s my one huge frustration with Berry (and Hakstol before), it’s clear special teams is a complete disaster, I don’t want coach talk or his normal “we just need to get one to go” quotes. Something is wrong, (1) Figure it out (2) Fix it — a little transparency would be nice, explaining what is wrong and how they plan on addressing the issue. Take some accountability.   

Year is far from over, but it needs to get fixed now. 

1 hour ago, siouxforce19 said:

The only current players recruited by Berry off the top of my head are Nick Jones and Jordan Kawaguchi. Jost was also Berry recruit. It’s going to take a couple years before we see Berry’s recruits on campus. A lot of next year’s freshmen are also Hakstol recruits. Hakstol never won the big game, but he got the most out of his players, our 2014 and 2015 teams did not have a lot of high end skill, but they made the Frozen Four. I think in 2 years we’ll know if recruiting has tailed off. 

Someone with some sense. Thank you for enlightening all these whiners. Season isn't over yet either.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

The only current players recruited by Berry off the top of my head are Nick Jones and Jordan Kawaguchi. Jost was also Berry recruit. It’s going to take a couple years before we see Berry’s recruits on campus. A lot of next year’s freshmen are also Hakstol recruits. Hakstol never won the big game, but he got the most out of his players, our 2014 and 2015 teams did not have a lot of high end skill, but they made the Frozen Four. I think in 2 years we’ll know if recruiting has tailed off. 

I’m not here bash berry whatsoever but Hakstol was a very solid coach who pulled in blue chippers consistently.  Berry has locked down some nice recruits but we’ve lost a ton too. Just my two cents.  We aren’t getting the shear number of high Enders like we used to. That’s a fact.  I know we had Boeser come in and jost.  But we used to have a few guys like that each year (maybe not to the level of Boeser, but think Nelson, forbort, etc).  The number of draft picks that come in has plummeted. What do we have 5-6 this year?  We used to have like 12-14.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Oh, come on!  If Hak were coaching this team, you'd be the first one to be lighting up the torches after a night like tonight.  At least Hakstol had his team firing on all cylinders by mid-January.

If Hak were still running this program, 2016 would have ended much differently than it did.

Hak could definitely recruit, no question about it; the team just underachieved when it counted most.

The question here is recruiting and whether it is working properly or not.

I am feeling unsettled about it after this weekend's "performance".

8 hours ago, AJS said:

Here’s my one huge frustration with Berry (and Hakstol before), it’s clear special teams is a complete disaster, I don’t want coach talk or his normal “we just need to get one to go” quotes. Something is wrong, (1) Figure it out (2) Fix it — a little transparency would be nice, explaining what is wrong and how they plan on addressing the issue. Take some accountability.   

Year is far from over, but it needs to get fixed now. 

I am with you on the PK, but our PP has sucked for a long time now (three coaching regimes worth of suckiness). That isn't a new problem.

10 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

It does seem like kids commit much earlier than they used to. A lot of the players on the team now committed when Hakstol was still here. Having said that, I think we better fix whatever is broken and soon.

44 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I love those "if the season ended today..." scenarios.  Except for the fact that it doesn't.  :lol:

Correct.........this sled ride has a ways to go before it finally crashes into the big tree at the bottom of the hill!

Or Berry becomes the next Rube Bjorkman. One flaw I see is he gives big ice time to guys who don’t score 10-26-11, they are a great 4th line but the should not get top six minutes or power play minutes. Yes I know 26 went on a  run before Xmas but when you need a goal is this the line we really need on the ice. Maybe Berry is too much of a players coach, this team might need some tough love. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

I’m not here bash berry whatsoever but Hakstol was a very solid coach who pulled in blue chippers consistently.  Berry has locked down some nice recruits but we’ve lost a ton too. Just my two cents.  We aren’t getting the shear number of high Enders like we used to. That’s a fact.  I know we had Boeser come in and jost.  But we used to have a few guys like that each year (maybe not to the level of Boeser, but think Nelson, forbort, etc).  The number of draft picks that come in has plummeted. What do we have 5-6 this year?  We used to have like 12-14.

The concern I have had with recruiting (based purely on the hype of recruits outside of this board) is the majority of the recruits on the high end side seem to be defensemen.