SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This seems a bit short sided as a player like Henrik Borgstrom isn't going, either. Personally, I think Wolanin will and should sign. He's a dynamic player.

Gersich isn't NHL ready, but he's pro ready, IMO.

Wha............what????

1 minute ago, stoneySIOUX said:

This seems a bit short sided as a player like Henrik Borgstrom isn't going, either. Personally, I think Wolanin will and should sign. He's a dynamic player.

Gersich isn't NHL ready, but he's pro ready, IMO.

Look at who is on the US Olympic team, Gionta who is retired.

19 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think this team needs more experience playing together and that might extend into next season. With very few early flight risks, we should have almost everyone back next year plus incoming freshmen (some of whom look pretty good). I don't think this is the year we hang #9, but I think next year could be.

I really hope you're right - I think we would need a big increase in our scoring punch for that to happen.

1 minute ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Why "a step back"? You think we are going to lose a bunch of players early? I don't see it.

Well, we're losing Pogo, Cam and I'd assume Wolanin and Gersich, from what I've heard. That's a group of important players. I guess I don't see any others that go.

In regards to sitting players, at what point do you sit people with a letter on their sweater? Part of being ready, and putting forth 60 minutes is on the captains.  Honestly, we have some freshman and sophomores that shouldn't be sitting based strictly on their effort.  If you want competition, no ones playing time should be guaranteed week to week, except for maybe Wolanin. I still think this team has all the parts to hang number 9, they just need to start clicking.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Well, we're losing Pogo, Cam and I'd assume Wolanin and Gersich, from what I've heard. That's a group of important players. I guess I don't see any others that go.

Yeah that's my logic too for next season.  Four important players..some of which aren't producing as much as hoped this year...but still good players that will have to be replaced with freshmen.

4 hours ago, ksl_sioux4ever said:

The yon Bowen gersich line last night in the radio sounded like it was working

Respectfully, no it wasn’t. Bowen still looks very rusty.

we had some nice lines at the beginning of the year.  Definitely need to go back to those.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Didn’t say no one else was inconsistent. I pointed out the freshmen because it coincides with Jost’s surprise departure. People expected a lot out of this freshmen class to help replace Jost’s production, but failed to realize how inconsistent most freshmen are. 

I got it.  But what about the sophomores or the juniors or seniors 

3 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Gersich has been the biggest disappointment forward wise this season. I think Berry tries Gooch and Gersich together tonight. If he doesn't keep Mismash with 8 and 14........well? Peski is better than he plays last night plus he is better than Casey. With as inconsistent as most of these guys play Rieger is getting screwed IMO.

I agree.  I just don’t see how he could leave after this year.  His numbers are terrible.

1. Penalty kill was not very good last night IMHO.  Got caught out there way too long and weren't as aggressive as usual, except the one time when we gathered like a bunch of mites along the boards and left the guy wide open in front of the net.  Maybe the Bulldog PP is just that good.  They certainly moved the puck around and got us chasing and when we couldn't get a clear we ran out of gas resulting in their PP goals.

2. As others have noted, we just don't have many guys who take it to the net this year.  A lot of shots from the outside but still not alot of tip opportunities.  UMD did that very well a few times last night. 

3.  As usual we come out of the box in the first period like we are recovering from the flu, or a hangover.  Better as the game goes along.

4. I can't fault Cam as much as others have for last night.

• Upvote 1

We need to get back to executing the basics and outworking the opponent. My suggestion for a basics 101 course this week...executing odd man rushes. As far as the definition of executing; I would be happy with a shot on goal. Bonus points for a quality shot on goal. 

2 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Thome is ready to step in at goal. The other players you mentioned haven't exactly set the world on fire this year. Still don't get the whole "step back" theory.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, crb1 said:

Let’s be honest here. Early departures have hurt us. If no one had left early the last couple years can you imagine the players on the roster. 

Agreed - also to be honest though, we didn't have much firepower waiting in the wings.  We seriously need to reload.

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Thome is ready to step in at goal. The other players you mentioned haven't exactly set the world on fire this year. Still don't get the whole "step back" theory.

I don't disagree, but our juniors other than Gersich, Jones and Wooly, haven't really been great contributors. Same can be said for the Sophs. Freshies have shown more than the other two classes, IMO, particularly at forward.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Who do you think really steps up next year to provide scoring for this team?
No one has been consistent this year, and then you take away Wolanin, Pogo, and Gersich from that equation.  Not to mention our starting goalie.