SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Agreed.  Definitely lost a step, but couldn’t get his foot in a skate boot for a few weeks it was so bad.  I think it may be a few weeks until he is 100 percent. 

Okay I’m not crazy. I was thinking there was no way he is 100% back to his normal self. 

21 minutes ago, AJS said:

Posts like this are so frustrating, what are you talking about? Where did he say Cam has done nothing? He was great his Sophomore year, but we aren’t talking about that. He’s been mediocre his last two years, numbers don’t lie. 

Look at the defense he had Sophomore year and the offense as well. Team effort.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Cam faced 812 total shots in 2016...he made 817 saves in 2017.  

Numbers don’t always define quality. What type of shots did he face? Again the knock is not all against Cam but how he D plays in front of him. For example there were two goals earlier that were pretty tips that could have been prevented, not necessarily by Cam but by his D playing better and tying up guys in the slot. It seems to be the trade off as we have moved to small speedier, offensive defenseman, we have lost some of the grit in front of our own net.

15 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Cam faced 812 total shots in 2016...he made 817 saves in 2017.  

Yes. Proving my point. He had a solid defense year two, with a great for-checking offense. His numbers were expected to look that good with the team they had. Either way he's a solid goaltender. 

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Numbers don’t always define quality. What type of shots did he face? Again the knock is not all against Cam but how he D plays in front of him. For example there were two goals earlier that were pretty tips that could have been prevented, not necessarily by Cam but by his D playing better and tying up guys in the slot. It seems to be the trade off as we have moved to small speedier, offensive defenseman, we have lost some of the grit in front of our own net.

Agreed. Do people forget who Cam had in front of him. Four of the Six D-men left that year. Ausmas and Wolanin were left. Neither of them were outstanding in 2016. Cam is solid. He had a weak defense last year, and this year is a bit better.

Can’t get terribly mad at a loss to Duluth with all their nice players, but I’m definitely starting to sense a theme with this team.  Consistency is null, their starts are mostly awful, their energy level is poor more than it isn’t, and they’re starting to look worse and worse each week.  At the start of the year I honestly thought they had something.  Don’t really have that feeling anymore.  Hopefully it’s a mid season lull or something.  Get into the tourney and hopefully catch a hot streak.  Not to get too negative however I don’t see how next year gets any better without some serious development out of our freshmen and sophomores.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, DB Cooper said:

here's an outrageous over-reaction after tonight's loss:  when are berry's recruits going to start showing up? at what point does berry start getting questioned..;)

Recruiting used to be spot on - not as much lately.  My theory is that after taking over and winning it all Berry became enamored with the grit of the championship team but forgot that a lot of that grit was on our first line of high-end NHL talent.  We are really stuck without a consistent scoring front liner this year.  That should not happen at a school like ours.

10 minutes ago, Irish said:

Recruiting used to be spot on - not as much lately.  My theory is that after taking over and winning it all Berry became enamored with the grit of the championship team but forgot that a lot of that grit was on our first line of high-end NHL talent.  We are really stuck without a consistent scoring front liner this year.  That should not happen at a school like ours.

Jost’s departure clearly caught them off guard. And the freshmen have been inconsistent as expected. 

6 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

Jost’s departure clearly caught them off guard. And the freshmen have been inconsistent as expected. 

Yep.  Seems like we were a little less prepared for the early departures than in years past.

The easy solution would be to over-recruit like some teams, but then we wouldn't be able to rip on them for it, so.... 

7 hours ago, DB Cooper said:

here's an outrageous over-reaction after tonight's loss:  when are berry's recruits going to start showing up? at what point does berry start getting questioned..;)

Spot on.................cause nothing screams mediocrity than a 4-5-3 record since stealing the opener in Denver.

Schloss predicts a split nearly every week. Maybe he gets it and we don't.......this team just is not as good as most fans think it is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Irish said:

Turnover, turnover, turnover. What killed them last year was Non-NHL players Thompson / Johnson also leaving early. This year, 50 / 50 player Jost. They need to start winning some of those battles (like let’s say Gersich this year). It’s tough having huge freshman classes every year. 

8 hours ago, SiouxFanatic said:

You know very well the naysayers will say the defense in front of him that year was the major reason he looked good. 

You nailed it right there! Cam isn’t a bad goalie but that’s why he’s been the starter for the last 2 seasons. I actually think Dell was the best goalie we’ve had in the last 10 years.

24 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Spot on.................cause nothing screams mediocrity than a 4-5-3 record since stealing the opener in Denver.

Schloss predicts a split nearly every week. Maybe he gets it and we don't.......this team just is not as good as most fans think it is.

Like I said yesterday with Cam, numbers don’t lie. What’s ultimately frustrating this year, is after certain games or weekends (Western for example), I would have never thought this team would be having this much consistency issues. Still time to fix it and this year they look better than last. Need the win tonight, then hope better weekend next. 

59 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

I’m starting to think you’re right.  Lots of these guys haven’t played to their potential (other than wolanin and mismash....and I only bring up mismash because he’s a true frosh). What’s scarier is that other than hain and tychonyk most of our recruits haven’t done much.  Weatherby has been good but he’s an over ager playing in a high scoring league.  Boys need to pick it up.

I think Berry found something in the 3rd with Mismash replacing Gersich on the top line.  No idea where you put Gersich because Gooch was good with the Euros.

Pogo-Jones-Mismash

Gooch-Norway-Finland

Smith-Simo-Olson (Reiger....cough)

Adams-Bowen-Gersich????

Can't touch three of the lines....Bowen isn't 100 percent, but where else do you put Gersich?