SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Bulldogs - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

2 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, that Cam guy has done nothing worth mentioning during his tenure at UND...well, outside of backstopping the team to a national championship.

Not where I was going at all. I just want more than one guy.you know depth! I think I mentionedCam makes some amazing saves, but some of his success can be attributed to his defense too. My point was,sometime a change in goal makes your DEF play different. Not saying it is all on the goalie.

11 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

It's the truth. With that said, we have some solid players coming in.

I'm sure we do - we have some solid players here too - we need the next Schmaltz, Boesser, Toews, Oshie, Frattin, Parise - well you get the idea.  Or a couple of them.  We seem to have had a couple year drought on top talent.  Time to up our recruiting game.

1 minute ago, SiouxFanatic said:

You know very well the naysayers will say the defense in front of him that year was the major reason he looked good. 

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed. I like Cam, but we need some competitive goaltending. Cam will make a few spectacular saves, then let in some questionable ones. Not that I think Thome is necessarily better, but sometime the guy in goal changes the mindset of the defense.

Thome is a big sack of potatoes compared to Cam. The day Cam leaves, is the day  UND lacks a competent goaltender.

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, siouxforce19 said:

I can’t be the only one who thinks Bowen hasn’t been the same player since he got back from his injury right?

The slide off of the PK was initially attributed to his absence, but it’s been even worse since he got back. And Gardner’s injury makes things worse there too. 

Agreed.  Definitely lost a step, but couldn’t get his foot in a skate boot for a few weeks it was so bad.  I think it may be a few weeks until he is 100 percent. 

3 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

You know very well the naysayers will say the defense in front of him that year was the major reason he looked good. 

The defense accentuated his talent. I am and always have been a Cam fan. A periodic change in goaltenders also changes the menatality of your defense sometimes. If anything my criticism is the defense needs to limit opportunities.

3 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Yea, that Cam guy has done nothing worth mentioning during his tenure at UND...well, outside of backstopping the team to a national championship.

Posts like this are so frustrating, what are you talking about? Where did he say Cam has done nothing? He was great his Sophomore year, but we aren’t talking about that. He’s been mediocre his last two years, numbers don’t lie. 

Just now, AJS said:

Posts like this are so frustrating, what are you talking about? Where did he say Cam has done nothing? He was great his Sophomore year, but we aren’t talking about that. He’s been mediocre his last two years, numbers don’t lie. 

Last I checked, he's been banged up a bit too.  Still a quality goalie.

2 minutes ago, Sioux90 said:

Thome is a big sack of potatoes compared to Cam. The day Cam leaves, is the day  UND lacks a competent goaltender.

You are missing the point. Cam is not necessarily the issue, BUT sometimes a change in goalie will also change the approach of the defense. That’s not always a bad thing.

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

The defense accentuated his talent. I am and always have been a Cam fan. A periodic change in goaltenders also changes the menatality of your defense sometimes. If anything my criticism is the defense needs to limit opportunities.

My bad @siouxfan512, my post was more of a generalized reply to Mafia’s, not a response to you. I just remember people make comments in the past that Cam was only good that year because of the defense. Especially last season when people were clamoring to see Tomek.

Way to much black and white here. You CAN say that we should have goalies split time (when healthy) WITHOUT it meaning that Cam is a direct problem. He is not. Cam is good. But teams play different in front of different goalies. I think this team get a little to complacent in front of Cam. May splitting some time make them stay on their game?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

My bad @siouxfan512, my post was more of a generalized reply to Mafia’s, not a response to you. I just remember people make comments in the past that Cam was only good that year because of the defense. Especially last season when people were clamoring to see Tomek.

Good point.   When are we gonna see Tomek in the lineup anyways?  He certainly deserves a shot.

• Like 1

Cam is a good goalie and he did help us win a NC, I will forever be thankful to him for that, and sure he gives up some soft goals but we have said that with a lot of our past goalies from J. Parise to Dell and Eidsness and even Zane .06. So don’t be too hard on Cam more chances then not he will make the play.