Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
streetsahead

Softer ticket resale market?

Recommended Posts

Is it just me or does the resale market seem to be softer this year?  It could just be the combination of opponents and non-student games, but I've struggled to get cost back on seats a lot of weeks that I haven't been able to attend and have seen lots of lower bowl seats in the $25-$30 range.  I imagine we'll see a rebound with Denver and St. Cloud but i'm curious what others have seen.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, streetsahead said:

Is it just me or does the resale market seem to be softer this year?  It could just be the combination of opponents and non-student games, but I've struggled to get cost back on seats a lot of weeks that I haven't been able to attend and have seen lots of lower bowl seats in the $25-$30 range.  I imagine we'll see a rebound with Denver and St. Cloud but i'm curious what others have seen.

Yes, it has been a ridiculously busy season over on the ticket thread. Patience is the key, as prices drop (sometimes drastically) into Friday of each weekend. A lot of forces at play here, but don't rule out ticket face prices (which have gone up) and the economy (which is probably not as strong as it once was).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2018 at 9:30 AM, streetsahead said:

 I imagine we'll see a rebound with Denver and St. Cloud but i'm curious what others have seen.

Maybe not.  Gophers tickets dropped drastically by game day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a generational thing. The age group that grew up with "on demand programming" and streaming and monster TVs in their homes isn't as likely to attend a game in person. And those folks are starting to enter the prior generations' ticket buying ages. Throw in that the last couple home series weekends have been ugly-cold and there's what you're seeing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:30 AM, streetsahead said:

Is it just me or does the resale market seem to be softer this year?  It could just be the combination of opponents and non-student games, but I've struggled to get cost back on seats a lot of weeks that I haven't been able to attend and have seen lots of lower bowl seats in the $25-$30 range.  I imagine we'll see a rebound with Denver and St. Cloud but i'm curious what others have seen.

I have also struggled to sell tickets to the games that I cannot attend.  In the past, the tickets would move much quicker.  This year it seems like there are a ton of tickets up for sale and not many looking to buy.  With that said, I have been able to sell all of the tickets I couldn't use, but it required more work than usual.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's a generational thing. The age group that grew up with "on demand programming" and streaming and monster TVs in their homes isn't as likely to attend a game in person. And those folks are starting to enter the prior generations' ticket buying ages. Throw in that the last couple home series weekends have been ugly-cold and there's what you're seeing. 

Millennials....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

It's a generational thing. The age group that grew up with "on demand programming" and streaming and monster TVs in their homes isn't as likely to attend a game in person. And those folks are starting to enter the prior generations' ticket buying ages. Throw in that the last couple home series weekends have been ugly-cold and there's what you're seeing. 

If my 8 month old daughter can make it the last 2 weekend series, there's a limited amount of people that can use cold as an excuse without getting mocked :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

If my 8 month old daughter can make it the last 2 weekend series, there's a limited amount of people that can use cold as an excuse without getting mocked :D

How many miles round trip are you driving? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, i think team makeup might have something to do with it.  What do we have for entertainment value this season? Our most offensively gifted player is a defenseman.  We don't have any personalities like Steph Pattyn and Ben Blood.  We don't have offensive juggernauts like DOT, Pony Express,  or CBS. Now factor in the prices of what many people ask for retail vs the entertainment value on the ice and i think you have your answer.  Maybe it's just me, but while I still follow and watch every game I can, the thought of paying over $100 a ticket for a team that could lay a goose egg on the weekend makes me second guess my purchase.  This is coming from a guy that would happily spend a grand per weekend driving to Grand Forks and buying tickets right on the glass. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Does it matter?

I'm talking about the cold, not road conditions.

Dude, driving a long round trip in -20F or worse ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Dude, driving a long round trip in -20F or worse ... 

I mean, when I lived in the cities I'd make 5-7 of those roundtrips a year.

You should really install a heater in your car, it's great! :D

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, bigskyvikes said:

Millennials....

It's much more expensive to sit at The Ralph and check social media, than it is to do it at home.  Sometimes I think the players could all stop skating and half the crowd wouldn't notice.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

I mean, when I lived in the cities I'd make 5-7 of those roundtrips a year.

You should really install a heater in your car, it's great! :D

Walking out of Sanford, excited we had a 10 min drive home...and a few Sioux fans go, "Oh great, now we have a 2 hr drive!"

That's our usual, around 8 times a season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, snova4 said:

Personally, i think team makeup might have something to do with it.  What do we have for entertainment value this season? Our most offensively gifted player is a defenseman.  We don't have any personalities like Steph Pattyn and Ben Blood.  We don't have offensive juggernauts like DOT, Pony Express,  or CBS. Now factor in the prices of what many people ask for retail vs the entertainment value on the ice and i think you have your answer.  Maybe it's just me, but while I still follow and watch every game I can, the thought of paying over $100 a ticket for a team that could lay a goose egg on the weekend makes me second guess my purchase.  This is coming from a guy that would happily spend a grand per weekend driving to Grand Forks and buying tickets right on the glass. 

This is so true. I go to basically every game but this team right now doesnt draw me in as much as some of the recent past have. Maybe that will change but right now there just isnt a face of the team or top line that everyone loves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, snova4 said:

Personally, i think team makeup might have something to do with it.  What do we have for entertainment value this season? Our most offensively gifted player is a defenseman.  We don't have any personalities like Steph Pattyn and Ben Blood.  We don't have offensive juggernauts like DOT, Pony Express,  or CBS. Now factor in the prices of what many people ask for retail vs the entertainment value on the ice and i think you have your answer.  Maybe it's just me, but while I still follow and watch every game I can, the thought of paying over $100 a ticket for a team that could lay a goose egg on the weekend makes me second guess my purchase.  This is coming from a guy that would happily spend a grand per weekend driving to Grand Forks and buying tickets right on the glass. 

I think this has a lot to do with it too.  But I've struggled to even get face for tickets.  I'm usually not trying to gouge people on prices.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For various reasons have not gone to too many home games this season and cold weather was the excuse one weekend. Have tried to sell 6 tickets most nights so far, only weekend did well was MN series. Didn't get close to face value on the rest, where other years usually got face value (I don't add in the Champs Club part). Probably going to attend the rest. Have no stats to back this up, but also seems to me there's been a lot more tickets for resale this season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had to sell two pairs of tickets this season when family couldn't attend.  I was able to get face value for the first, non-conference, pair early in the season, but had to do a two-for-one to get anything back for the Omaha game.  The number available, and the depressed prices, have surprised me.  I wish it had been so cheap/easy back when I didn't have season tickets!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/18/2018 at 5:21 AM, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

For various reasons have not gone to too many home games this season and cold weather was the excuse one weekend. Have tried to sell 6 tickets most nights so far, only weekend did well was MN series. Didn't get close to face value on the rest, where other years usually got face value (I don't add in the Champs Club part). Probably going to attend the rest. Have no stats to back this up, but also seems to me there's been a lot more tickets for resale this season.

This should be of some concern to the Athletic Department, because it shows at least a small degree of apathy that is prevalent in many college hockey venues, and college sports as a whole.  It isn’t that far removed from those out of towners that can’t make it every weekend deciding whether not breaking even on tickets is worth the season ticket expense, especially when cheap tickets are available on the secondary market.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It appears that this weekend, which should be the biggest non-Gopher weekend of the year, is more of the same.  Saturated market, depressed prices.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, streetsahead said:

It appears that this weekend, which should be the biggest non-Gopher weekend of the year, is more of the same.  Saturated market, depressed prices.  

When you see upper deck saturday DU tickets for $25 and they are available for a while, it's a strange year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Softer market in part because softer team.  However, maybe UND finally found the tipping point for what the market will bear (Donation level, ticket cost, concession prices....etc)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This could end up being a double-barreled problem for UND.  Less demand for season tickets = fewer donations and less ticket revenue up front.  Less demand for single game tickets (i.e., greater availability of season tix second-hand) = fewer advance purchases and less ticket revenue.  Who's going to pay full prices AND TM's outrageous fees at the on-sale date if they can reliably get as good or better tickets for less as each game nears?

Hockey is definitely the golden goose, and it has been riding an incredible wave of success that has sustained high demand and probably justified somewhat modest price increases (Minnesota aside).  I don't see price slashing any time soon, but it does kind of make you wonder...at its current level of budgeting and operations, how will UND fare financially during a hockey performance slump?  Can it absorb a loss in ticket revenue, and will it eventually consider lowering prices as a means to win back casual or leery fans?

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×