SiouxSports.com Forum

New York Times has a big sob story on UND dropping womens hockey

SiouxVolley

1 hour ago, Hayduke said:

We're a hockey school.  We should have kept the women's hockey program.  You are what you is. 

Dropping the program may have been a financially sound decision, but the fallout over the decision is understandable.  Using cheap political posturing on either side is ridiculous. 

What is this fallout you speak of?

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

You know Oxbow, the gnashing of the teeth, the tears (facebook & real),  the fury of the twitter twins...

Ahhhhhh............yes. I remember Oprah referencing this "fallout" during her infamous Golden Globes speech.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SiouxVolley said:

Guess Fargo and Bismarck have so many sophiscated people that they would outdraw teams in NWPL cities like New York and Boston that have trouble drawing even 1000 fans a game to tiny rinks.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nwhl-hockey-slash-salaries-1.3857931

Put your mony where you mouth is and invest in a Fargo NWHL team.  Fargo would hit the big time finally.

Fargo needs no help. All they do is win championships, grow and it never snows there. GF gets all the snow. NWPL water polo? I guess  I'm pretty much alone in my thinking that the state thinks GF and UND are as P. Trump  says a ship hole place not worthy of growth.

17 minutes ago, moser53 said:

Fargo needs no help. All they do is win championships, grow and it never snows there. GF gets all the snow. NWPL water polo? I guess  I'm pretty much alone in my thinking that the state thinks GF and UND are as P. Trump  says a ship hole place not worthy of growth.

Now....now. Don't be so hard on GF and BTW I had to use my snowblower tonight in Fargo

........and far as s**tholes go I've been to Haiti. The POTUS is spot on. The Haitians are terrific, warm  and caring people but there's a reason they all want to leave Haiti.

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2018 at 2:22 PM, UNDColorado said:

When the University of North Dakota announced last March that it was dropping women’s hockey for budgetary reasons, the move stunned this sprawling state on the northern Great Plains where the sport is a powerful unifying force.

What? Anyone who was stunned had no idea what they are talking about. Once again the NY Times proves to be sensationalized garbage.

Wow.  Talk about sensationalism.  2/3 of the state's residents likely weren't even aware that UND had a women'shockey team.  "A powerful unifying force" throughout the state?  They're outta their damn liberal minds.  

• Upvote 2

On 1/11/2018 at 7:57 AM, Siouxphan27 said:

So because grand forks isn't a high wage city, people couldn't afford to go to the free admission women's hockey games?

Well, throw in a piece of pizza and a bottle of pop and you're in the hole for $30, so, yea...

11 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Wow.  Talk about sensationalism.  2/3 of the state's residents likely weren't even aware that UND had a women'shockey team.  "A powerful unifying force" throughout the state?  They're outta their damn liberal minds.  

Though I cannot be sure because the NYT piece was was so confusing in spots, I think the writer meant that UND Hockey —in general — is the unifying force and not just WH. 

A major fallacy with the story is how it repeatedly conflates UND Hockey in general with UND women’s hockey as an isolated program.  Because, if we’re honest, the vast majority of people locally, statewide, regionally and even nationally, when they think of hockey at UND, are envisioning the men’s squad.  If they are not, then it is qualified appropriately or the contextual setting makes it clear.  

8 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

Though I cannot be sure because the NYT piece was was so confusing in spots, I think the writer meant that UND Hockey —in general — is the unifying force and not just WH. 

A major fallacy with the story is how it repeatedly conflates UND Hockey in general with UND women’s hockey as an isolated program.  Because, if we’re honest, the vast majority of people locally, statewide, regionally and even nationally, when they think of hockey at UND, are envisioning the men’s squad.  If they are not, then it is qualified appropriately or the contextual setting makes it clear.  

Frankly the only "unifying" forces athletically in ND are UND men's hockey and NDSU football. As long as those two still exist you won't see any uproar. Suppose you could argue the basketball teams should be left alone as well. Beyond that...any other sports are gravy.

On 1/12/2018 at 9:22 AM, JohnboyND7 said:

Frankly the only "unifying" forces athletically in ND are UND men's hockey and NDSU football. As long as those two still exist you won't see any uproar. Suppose you could argue the basketball teams should be left alone as well. Beyond that...any other sports are gravy mandated by arcane NCAA rules

FYP. ;) 

• Upvote 1

I think amongst the W Hockey community as a whole is still this fear of this becoming a trend and the thinking of "Well UND did it, why can't we?"

Here is the thing:  Yes, UND did cut it but it took several circumstances to do it and if you had change one thing... I think we are having a different conversation right now.   

4 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

I think amongst the W Hockey community as a whole is still this fear of this becoming a trend and the thinking of "Well UND did it, why can't we?"

Here is the thing:  Yes, UND did cut it but it took several circumstances to do it and if you had change one thing... I think we are having a different conversation right now.   

I think you hit the nail on the head regarding the fear.   

But it seems like all athletic departments lose money.  I could see a scenario play out where a lot of schools get rid of their most expensive non revenue sports, and womens hockey will be ranked near the top.        

5 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

The Minnesota head coach did say he thought they were getting cut until a donor came along.

With all the talk of ND girls not having an opportunity to play women's hockey, I think some blame should be had on NDSU.  They chose to use the 3rd prong of title 9.  Based on the newspaper articles that we have all read, there is clearly demand for womens ncaa ice hockey in ND, right?

As stated in the 1996 Clarification and as discussed in the Dear Colleague letter, OCR considers a multitude of indicators in the context of evaluating the following three questions to determine whether an institution is in compliance with Part Three. 

(1) Is there unmet interest in a particular sport?
(2) Is there sufficient ability to sustain a team in the sport? 
(3) Is there a reasonable expectation of competition for the team? 

If the answer to all three questions is “Yes,” OCR will find that an institution is not fully and effectively accommodating the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex and therefore is not in compliance with Part Three.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

With all the talk of ND girls not having an opportunity to play women's hockey, I think some blame should be had on NDSU.  They chose to use the 3rd prong of title 9.  Based on the newspaper articles that we have all read, there is clearly demand for womens ncaa ice hockey in ND, right?

As stated in the 1996 Clarification and as discussed in the Dear Colleague letter, OCR considers a multitude of indicators in the context of evaluating the following three questions to determine whether an institution is in compliance with Part Three. 

(1) Is there unmet interest in a particular sport?
(2) Is there sufficient ability to sustain a team in the sport? 
(3) Is there a reasonable expectation of competition for the team? 

If the answer to all three questions is “Yes,” OCR will find that an institution is not fully and effectively accommodating the interests and abilities of the underrepresented sex and therefore is not in compliance with Part Three.

The better question to ask is how many girls from North Dakota have played at UND?

I wouldn’t put any blame on NDSU not having a women’s D1 hockey program. I put girls from North Dakota not having the opportunity to play college hockey in North Dakota/UND on Idalski. As it has been said on here by people who have had their daughters recruited by him. He tells them they have to leave the state to play for him or at a D1 school.

UND’s Women’s coaches cared more about having Olympians then having players come here to win Conference and National Titles.

• Upvote 2

Idalski's notion to hire a Swedish assistant to recruit Nordic Olympian Euros seems to have badly backfired. They didn't deliver.

In retrospect, it's very easy to speculate he'd have been better off mining MN Section 8, ND, and the North American prep schools for players. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Idalski's notion to hire a Swedish assistant to recruit Nordic Olympian Euros seems to have badly backfired. They didn't deliver.

In retrospect, it's very easy to speculate he'd have been better off mining MN Section 8, ND, and the North American prep schools for players. 

I think after he lost Britta Curl to the Badgers, the higher ups just thought, "we're screwed, we might as well just save the money."  :)   

Are we to the point yet where there is more discussion in the media about the program being retired than when they were actually still playing?  Simple question...#gobc...They didn't seem to get much of the Heraldo's attention until they were actually cut.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1