SiouxSports.com Forum

New York Times has a big sob story on UND dropping womens hockey

SiouxVolley

19 hours ago, petey23 said:

“It was a program we grew up idolizing,” said Lamoureux-Morando, a volunteer assistant who had hoped to be a full-time coach at the university when her playing days are over. “My dad played there. My brothers played there.”.....so we went to Minnesota

You beat me to it.  The hypocrisy is staggering.  Seems like they just all spew the Schlossman talking points.  

• Upvote 1

Girls Fastpitch is a sport that is booming in this area and all across America. I would guess that girls who play have aspirations of playing Division 1 and in North Dakota we have 2 Division 1 programs. Of the 38 girls on the UND and NDSU rosters last season there was 1.....yep, 1 girl from ND made her way onto the NDSU roster, 0 at UND.

Much like Schafer will be forever blamed for the cutting of Music Therapy (Of course no one wants to put the true blame where it lies, the Dean of Arts and Sciences), Kennedy will be forever blamed for the cutting of Women's Hockey and certain fans/alumi will never forgive him, no matter what he does for the University.  

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Much like Schafer will be forever blamed for the cutting of Music Therapy (Of course no one wants to put the true blame where it lies, the Dean of Arts and Sciences), Kennedy will be forever blamed for the cutting of Women's Hockey and certain fans/alumi will never forgive him, no matter what he does for the University.  

You mean all of those fans that consistently forgot to show up for games? I'm not picking on you as I want to shed some light on the convenient backlash that followed this smart business move. This program was a money pit that had very little support. Then it gets cut and all of a sudden all of these "fans" are offended. How convenient.

• Upvote 2

When the University of North Dakota announced last March that it was dropping women’s hockey for budgetary reasons, the move stunned this sprawling state on the northern Great Plains where the sport is a powerful unifying force.

What? Anyone who was stunned had no idea what they are talking about. Once again the NY Times proves to be sensationalized garbage.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDColorado said:

You mean all of those fans that consistently forgot to show up for games? I'm not picking on you as I want to shed some light on the convenient backlash that followed this smart business move. This program was a money pit that had very little support. Then it gets cut and all of a sudden all of these "fans" are offended. How convenient.

I am sure that 200 people that showed up for the home playoff game made the REA looked packed. I swear Facebook has more UND women's hockey fans then those that attended. I guess they forgot if they don't attend the games, the school doesn't make any money. #FacebookWarrior

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I am sure that 200 people that showed up for the home playoff game made the REA looked packed. I swear Facebook has more UND women's hockey fans then those that attended. I guess they forgot if they don't attend the games, the school doesn't make any money. #FacebookWarrior

That's because nobody had to get off their ass to go to Facebook.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

I must have different friends cause I don’t even hear about it much on Facebook anymore.  Literally no one cares with exception of a few that try to be vocal.  

Knowing fully well that very few truly cared about the Women's hockey team and so much of the noise right after was fake outrage, it really didn't have legs to become anything more than the flavor of the week protest. That being said, I'm still surprised how quiet it's been since the Title IX lawsuit failed. I mean, outside of Schlossman making sure everyone stays up on old players, I've heard nothing from anywhere about the program.

47 minutes ago, cberkas said:

So how many girls from North Dakota played for UND?

My daughter was contacted after she committed elsewhere. No way in hell she would of played for Idalski anyways. Not a fan of him myself. He came across as an arrogant ass.