Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
AZSIOUX

NORTH DAKOTA @/vs Bemidji State

Recommended Posts

Hwy 2 will be busy 

Both teams are 11-6-5

UND 8 pairwise 

BSU 25 pairwise, 6 game winning streak(uaa,Huntsville,lssu) 3 of worst teams in NCAA. 9 games straight without a loss.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

Thome with the start? How can you not? 

I agree, both goalies have a large enough sample size, 13 games for Johnson, 9 for Thome and similar numbers, I'd go with the guy that just got the shutout. If Thome plays well on Friday, give him the start again on Saturday or I wouldn't be against a rotation until one goalie separates themselves. 

It appears defensively they've found the 6 they want to go with, with Johnson being the odd man out. I'd like to see him get a couple games here on out, but like the 6 they have right now. I really like the offensive ability Kierstad has, only 11 games into his freshman year, he'll continue to become more comfortable as the year goes on. 

Now the question is with the forwards group, yes, they won 7-0, but imo that clearly isn't the best group they can put out there, Mismash and Adams need to be on the ice. Kawaguchi has been pretty snake bite from a goal scoring standpoint, he's had his chances, but I've liked what he's brought to the table. Need Bowen out there, JJ played possibly his best game of the year on Saturday. To me, it's clear that the bottom 3 are Olson, Simonson and Yon. At the beginning of the year, Berry did have both Olson / Simonson as healthy scratches, will he do it again? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, AJS said:

I agree, both goalies have a large enough sample size, 13 games for Johnson, 9 for Thome and similar numbers, I'd go with the guy that just got the shutout. If Thome plays well on Friday, give him the start again on Saturday or I wouldn't be against a rotation until one goalie separates themselves. 

It appears defensively they've found the 6 they want to go with, with Johnson being the odd man out. I'd like to see him get a couple games here on out, but like the 6 they have right now. I really like the offensive ability Kierstad has, only 11 games into his freshman year, he'll continue to become more comfortable as the year goes on. 

Now the question is with the forwards group, yes, they won 7-0, but imo that clearly isn't the best group they can put out there, Mismash and Adams need to be on the ice. Kawaguchi has been pretty snake bite from a goal scoring standpoint, he's had his chances, but I've liked what he's brought to the table. Need Bowen out there, JJ played possibly his best game of the year on Saturday. To me, it's clear that the bottom 3 are Olson, Simonson and Yon. At the beginning of the year, Berry did have both Olson / Simonson as healthy scratches, will he do it again? 

Kawaguchi had a nice pass off the wall for JJs goal, but he missed the biggest gaping net possible. He's starting to play better though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Home and homes are pretty rare in college hockey.

Really?  Because another one is starting in Minneapolis in about 15 minutes (St Cloud State) and Michigan and Michigan State do it all the time.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Really?  Because another one is starting in Minneapolis in about 15 minutes (St Cloud State) and Michigan and Michigan State do it all the time.

Think it starts at 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thome made all of about one challenging save last night. Bob would've gotten that shutout as well. Cam starts Friday, and I'm sure he'll be dialed in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MafiaMan said:

Really?  Because another one is starting in Minneapolis in about 15 minutes (St Cloud State) and Michigan and Michigan State do it all the time.

Let me rephrase that. 

 

2 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Home and homes are pretty rare in the little bubble of UND college hockey, other than the more or less annual series against Bemidji.

:p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BSU has one of those hot goalies........:huh:

I say give the net to Thome Friday.  Team seems to play better hockey with him in there.  It’ll be just like 97 when Blais took out Kvelevog (boy I hope I spelled that right) and inserted Freshman Aaron Schweitzer who took the team to a national championship, and later made me do push-ups at a hockey camp in Regina for saying my favorite goalie was Tobey Kvelevog (it was a joke too....)

#THOME4HOBE

#Splittsville

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

BSU has one of those hot goalies........:huh:

I say give the net to Thome Friday.  Team seems to play better hockey with him in there.  It’ll be just like 97 when Blais took out Kvelevog (boy I hope I spelled that right) and inserted Freshman Aaron Schweitzer who took the team to a national championship, and later made me do push-ups at a hockey camp in Regina for saying my favorite goalie was Tobey Kvelevog (it was a joke too....)

#THOME4HOBE

#Splittsville

 

I'm sorry....did you say Regina? :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

Any chance Friday's will be on some sort of TV?

BSU games used to be on TPT/PBS channels in MSP metro area occasionally.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Statistically all this team needs to do is score more than one goal in a game. When they have done that they haven't lost. Problem is if you look at their overall record you get a glimpse at how often they score just one goal because they have lost 6 of those games with one tie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Blackheart said:

BSU games used to be on TPT/PBS channels in MSP metro area occasionally.

Not anymore.  ???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Blackheart said:

I'm sorry....did you say Regina? :D

I did.....am I missing a joke here??? :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Statistically all this team needs to do is score more than one goal in a game. When they have done that they haven't lost. Problem is if you look at their overall record you get a glimpse at how often they score just one goal because they have lost 6 of those games with one tie. 

This is insane. 

0-5-1 when scoring 1.

11-0-3 when scoring more than 1 goal.

Can you get a more simple formula than scoring 2 FREAKING GOALS?

Honestly, this is encouraging, to me. We find some consistency in putting the puck in the net AT LEAST TWICE, we have proven success of being able to win games. Two goals a game is absolutely not hard.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SiouxTupa said:

Thome made all of about one challenging save last night. Bob would've gotten that shutout as well. Cam starts Friday, and I'm sure he'll be dialed in.

I agree.  Sometimes I think the defense gets too confident with Cam behind them, and we some some chances taken that they don't with Pete in net.  Pete is going to be a very good goalie, but he is not our best goalie today.

 

16 hours ago, Wilbur said:

BSU has one of those hot goalies........:huh:

 

Does anyone else feel like Bitzer is in his 6th year as Bemidji's starter?  Or, is it just me?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, siouxforcefans said:

I agree.  Sometimes I think the defense gets too confident with Cam behind them, and we some some chances taken that they don't with Pete in net.  Pete is going to be a very good goalie, but he is not our best goalie today.

 

Does anyone else feel like Bitzer is in his 6th year as Bemidji's starter?  Or, is it just me?

Haha for sure! He has Mike Lee syndrome. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2018 at 1:47 PM, MafiaMan said:

Really?  Because another one is starting in Minneapolis in about 15 minutes (St Cloud State) and Michigan and Michigan State do it all the time.

Yep. If I am not mistaken, they're quite common on the east coast where the schools are closer together. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Goon said:

Yep. If I am not mistaken, they're quite common on the east coast where the schools are closer together. 

Very true. Geography makes it more doable in the east; not so much in the west.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×