Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
Stack

Refs like Denver

Recommended Posts

Remember that game when UND had 7 penalties in a row at Denver and  for the game UND had 8 penalties for 27 minutes and Denver had one penalty for 2 minutes on Saturday Nov. 18? .As a UND fan I was dumbstruck on how bad the refs favored Denver in that game.   I also lost all respect for Jim Montgomery the Denver coach as he screamed at the refs the entire game and complained even though every call went Denver's way.  Well Denver played Air Force recently and the reffing was all for Denver. Here is a story and a clip where the Air Force coach states similar feelings that I had when UND got homered so badly by the refs in that previous game:

http://scoutingtherefs.com/2018/01/20422/ncaa-coach-rants-refs-6-0-loss/

 

Thoughts?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're lucky that DU doesn't host any post-season games after the first round. 
They won't get all the calls once away from Magness arena.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no doubt that DU plays at a higher caliber than AF, heck all of our NCHC teams probably do.  That being said, the at home favoring of penalties has got to be noticed by and taken care of by the NCAA and now that it's been called out more than once in half of a season they will more than likely be monitoring it a little more closely.  I side with AF and UND on this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Stack said:

Remember that game when UND had 7 penalties in a row at Denver and  for the game UND had 8 penalties for 27 minutes and Denver had one penalty for 2 minutes on Saturday Nov. 18? .As a UND fan I was dumbstruck on how bad the refs favored Denver in that game.   I also lost all respect for Jim Montgomery the Denver coach as he screamed at the refs the entire game and complained even though every call went Denver's way.  Well Denver played Air Force recently and the reffing was all for Denver. Here is a story and a clip where the Air Force coach states similar feelings that I had when UND got homered so badly by the refs in that previous game:

http://scoutingtherefs.com/2018/01/20422/ncaa-coach-rants-refs-6-0-loss/

 

Thoughts?

I thought Frank Serratore absolutely nailed it with his comments. He did not act like a whiner or sore loser, he made the point that his team got hosed. AF is not as skilled or speedy as DU and many fans who have not experienced the reffing advantage that DU has received this year will think that Frank had to have his boys clutch, grab and poke more than normal just to try to keep pace. I too lost every once of respect I had for Monty on the weekend UND played there in November. It is hard to like opposing players or coaches, but Monty WAS one I actually liked. All coaches should stand up for their bench, some do it with dignity like Serratore, Blais or Berry and then their is Montgomery. That series and the series DU had vs the Clowns a week previous put Motzko way ahead of Monty in the most likely opposing NCHC coach to succeed category. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mattim said:

I thought Frank Serratore absolutely nailed it with his comments. He did not act like a whiner or sore loser, he made the point that his team got hosed. AF is not as skilled or speedy as DU and many fans who have not experienced the reffing advantage that DU has received this year will think that Frank had to have his boys clutch, grab and poke more than normal just to try to keep pace. I too lost every once of respect I had for Monty on the weekend UND played there in November. It is hard to like opposing players or coaches, but Monty WAS one I actually liked. All coaches should stand up for their bench, some do it with dignity like Serratore, Blais or Berry and then their is Montgomery. That series and the series DU had vs the Clowns a week previous put Motzko way ahead of Monty in the most likely opposing NCHC coach to succeed category. 

I'm with you here! I've never seen a coach whine about everything and totally intimidate the officials into getting literally every call on Saturday night and he didn't stop whining even after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, UNDSioux23 said:

There's no doubt that DU plays at a higher caliber than AF, heck all of our NCHC teams probably do.  That being said, the at home favoring of penalties has got to be noticed by and taken care of by the NCAA and now that it's been called out more than once in half of a season they will more than likely be monitoring it a little more closely.  I side with AF and UND on this one.

You really think anything is going to be said or done, it won’t, it’ll get swept under the rug and opposing teams are going to have to say they need to play more disciplined

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 This is on Don Adam...(surprise).  You've got at least three teams now with officiating issues when they are in Denver.

And nothing will be done... (surprise).

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mattim said:

I thought Frank Serratore absolutely nailed it with his comments. He did not act like a whiner or sore loser, he made the point that his team got hosed. AF is not as skilled or speedy as DU and many fans who have not experienced the reffing advantage that DU has received this year will think that Frank had to have his boys clutch, grab and poke more than normal just to try to keep pace. I too lost every once of respect I had for Monty on the weekend UND played there in November. It is hard to like opposing players or coaches, but Monty WAS one I actually liked. All coaches should stand up for their bench, some do it with dignity like Serratore, Blais or Berry and then their is Montgomery. That series and the series DU had vs the Clowns a week previous put Motzko way ahead of Monty in the most likely opposing NCHC coach to succeed category. 

Me too!  I thought Monty was a class act when he congratulated UND on their NC.  Then, he went to class-less with his screaming at the refs after the Friday UND@DU game.  With what I've seen from the SCSU situation and now AF, this guy has become a complete joke.

With the speed and skill on the DU team it isn't that farfetched that they are going to get more PPs than their opponents but the disparity has been, in a word, newsworthy.  The NCHC should look into this but, as stated above, it will likely not be addressed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hearing this, well, I just couldn't resist going to the numbers:

Special Teams Overall Conference Only
Power Play Penalty Kill Combined PPC/G Power Play Penalty Kill Combined PPC/G
Denver 26/105 .248 59/ 71 .831 85/176 .483 4.8 12/ 58 .207 35/ 41 .854 47/ 99 .475 4.8
Opponents 12/ 71 .169 79/105 .752 91/176 .517 3.2 6/ 41 .146 46/ 58 .793 52/ 99 .525 3.4

So, DU has played 22 games overall, 12 in the NCHC, at these stats. 

Basically, overall DU gets 1.5 more power plays per game; and they get about 1.4 more power plays per conference game. 

Where do I sign up to get 3 extra power plays per weekend? 

Stats courtesy: http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/teamstats/nchc 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game against AF falls solely on the shoulders of new NCHC ref Nathan Weiler. He called all but one of the penalties on AF.

The conference is very aware and Din Adam apologized to Frank.  

FYI, no part of the NCHC has been housed on any school's campus. It has always been off site in Colorado Springs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hearing this, well, I just couldn't resist going to the numbers:

Special Teams Overall Conference Only
Power Play Penalty Kill Combined PPC/G Power Play Penalty Kill Combined PPC/G
Denver 26/105 .248 59/ 71 .831 85/176 .483 4.8 12/ 58 .207 35/ 41 .854 47/ 99 .475 4.8
Opponents 12/ 71 .169 79/105 .752 91/176 .517 3.2 6/ 41 .146 46/ 58 .793 52/ 99 .525 3.4

So, DU has played 22 games overall, 12 in the NCHC, at these stats. 

Basically, overall DU gets 1.5 more power plays per game; and they get about 1.4 more power plays per conference game. 

Where do I sign up to get 3 extra power plays per weekend? 

Stats courtesy: http://collegehockeystats.net/1718/teamstats/nchc 

What is the difference between how many they get called in favor at home vs on the road?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×