SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors 2017-2018

Wilbur

1 hour ago, runaroundsioux said:

You're right. Maybe next year they could play on a rink of jell-o. That would be intense and a lot of fun for all involved. Never mind these kids have dreamt about playing in this tournament for years. Or that they could get seriously injured. It would be a blast!

They could get seriously injured playing on a rink made of jello?

1 hour ago, Siouxperior said:

Bunch of debbie downers around here. It's a good game,  fine venue, both teams get to enjoy the weather equally.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Exactly. Lots of intensity and a lot of fun for all involved. 

So you two are all in favor of losing pool integrity so we can watch USA vs Canada outdoor preliminary games every year? 

8 minutes ago, Siouxperior said:

I can't keep track of all things that are supposed to piss me off.

pool integrity

I don't care about all the other issues you listed...the fact that pool integrity was sacrificed to make this game happen is an effing travesty of justice to the team that won the gold medal last year.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I don't care about all the other issues you listed...the fact that pool integrity was sacrificed to make this game happen is an effing travesty of justice to the team that won the gold medal last year.  

Shouldn’t Belarus have been in the same pool as the US?

18 minutes ago, cberkas said:

Shouldn’t Belarus have been in the same pool as the US?

I was told there would be no math, but my calculations tell me that Sweden would have replaced Canada in Pool A had the IIHF not deviated from the script.  

2017 standings:  

1.  USA

2.  Canada

3.  Russia

4.  Sweden

5.  Denmark

6.  Czech Republic

7.  Switzerland

8.  Slovakia

9.  Finland

10.  Latvia (replaced by Belarus in 2018)

Normal Pool A would be the previous year #1, 4, 5, 8, and 9 teams.  

Normal Pool B would be the previous year #2, 3, 6, 7, and 10 teams.  

22 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

I was told there would be no math, but my calculations tell me that Sweden would have replaced Canada in Pool A had the IIHF not deviated from the script.  

2017 standings:  

1.  USA

2.  Canada

3.  Russia

4.  Sweden

5.  Denmark

6.  Czech Republic

7.  Switzerland

8.  Slovakia

9.  Finland

10.  Latvia (replaced by Belarus in 2018)

Normal Pool A would be the previous year #1, 4, 5, 8, and 9 teams.  

Normal Pool B would be the previous year #2, 3, 6, 7, and 10 teams.  

I say the 1and 10 seeds should be in the same pool. 

So Canada will win the group tomorrow.  That means that Sunday's game between the US and the Finns likely decides second place unless Slovakia rolls the table, which would give them 2nd.

Just have to avoid Russia in the quarters.  Never know which Russia will show up.

On 12/29/2017 at 12:40 AM, Frozen4sioux said:

Mittelstad has great skill, and hands like crazy... easy to score on kids tho....

he is going to get murdered in the NHL trying those second and third deke moves..... that is a kid that needs needs another year or two to gaim strength and learm how to use it.  he wont get it tho....

i see him takimg a very jost like path....

leace early to play in the NHL on a !@#$ team.... get creamed consistently..... imjured ..... not produce and get stuck in a 4th line roll cause they cant send the "first rounder" down to the AHL like he needs

From what I’ve seen he’s better than jost. He could play in the NHL right now. Sure he could play another year in college but it depends if he wants to make money.  I thought jost should have stayed one more year, but he playing NHL so I guess that’s all that matters.

15 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Unwatchable. 
It's a disservice to hockey to "showcase" these players' skills in this manner. 

If I wanted to see guys fighting snow covered ice I can go watch any number of outdoor rinks in ND. 

It was embarrassing they had to play that game outdoors.  Greed wins I guess.  Hopefully they get rid of those games in the future. Good thing the boys got the W though.  Middelstadt, is the real deal.  I watched him as recently as last year against Edina, blown away at how his game translates as he moves up levels.  He’s thinking the game at a much higher level than most.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

It was embarrassing they had to play that game outdoors.  Greed wins I guess.  Hopefully they get rid of those games in the future. Good thing the boys got the W though.  Middelstadt, is the real deal.  I watched him as recently as last year against Edina, blown away at how his game translates as he moves up levels.  He’s thinking the game at a much higher level than most.

Yep, but he still needs to find the weight room or he's going to get creamed. Needs to put some muscle on his frame. But you're right, he's an amazing talent. Not a lot of grit though.

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

From what I’ve seen he’s better than jost. He could play in the NHL right now. Sure he could play another year in college but it depends if he wants to make money.  I thought jost should have stayed one more year, but he playing NHL so I guess that’s all that matters.

Agreed, and Buffalo will want him with Eichel ASAP.  There are a ton of guys in the NHL that aren't great away from the puck (Eichel), but when Middelstadt has the puck he's already at a world class level.

Buffalo fans probably want him with the Sabres in January.

2 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

Mittelstadt would get killed in the NHL right now. Boy needs to put on lots of muscle and weight before he’s ready for the big boys. 

3 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

He hasn’t exactly been ripping up college hockey at this point.  There have been many games I’ve seen where he wasn’t that noticeable, except if they had a power play.  He might be able to hold his own on the offensive end, but you better be able to play at the other end as well, as Edmonton has shown so often over the past decade.  That said, I imagine Mittelstadt will put up a lot better numbers the second half with the confidence he has coming off of the World Juniors.

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Um, when did I say that?

It's reallly quite simple.  The #1 and #2 teams from the previous year are placed in Pool A and Pool B, respectively.  This was completely blown up this year so that a gimmick outdoor game could be played in the preliminary rounds.  Period. 

So what do we do when Russia and Belarus end up in what would be opposite pools and the tournament scheduled to be played in Moscow?  How about Sweden and Finland in an outdoor game in Helsinki?  Brackets be damned, let's help the IIHF make some more money off of the backs of teenage kids! 

And don't even get me started about the obvious pandering to Buffalo Bills football fans with the money-grab "hockey" jersey worn yesterday.  What a disgrace.  I can't wait for an outdoor game in LA and the opportunity for Team USA to don some Laker blue and gold jerseys!  Or maybe have a game in Fenway Park and the American kids can bust out some Celtic colors!  Imagine the possibilities to make some more money!    

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

It's reallly quite simple.  The #1 and #2 teams from the previous year are placed in Pool A and Pool B, respectively.  This was completely blown up this year so that a gimmick outdoor game could be played in the preliminary rounds.  Period. 

So what do we do when Russia and Belarus end up in what would be opposite pools and the tournament scheduled to be played in Moscow?  How about Sweden and Finland in an outdoor game in Helsinki?  Brackets be damned, let's help the IIHF make some more money off of the backs of teenage kids! 

And don't even get me started about the obvious pandering to Buffalo Bills football fans with the money-grab "hockey" jersey worn yesterday.  What a disgrace.  I can't wait for an outdoor game in LA and the opportunity for Team USA to don some Laker blue and gold jerseys!  Or maybe have a game in Fenway Park and the American kids can bust out some Celtic colors!  Imagine the possibilities to make some more money!    

Maybe the super bowl could be played on a hockey rink?  Possibilities eh???

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

Yep, but he still needs to find the weight room or he's going to get creamed. Needs to put some muscle on his frame. But you're right, he's an amazing talent. Not a lot of grit though.

I guess he’s already much stronger.  Saw him at the beauty league this past summer, he’s not a small kid.