SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors 2017-2018

Wilbur

1 hour ago, 90siouxfan said:

I hope the outdoor game is moved inside due to weather, zero love for the outdoor games.

I rather they play the game and it ends up being a terrible game that they will never do and outdoor game again. If the game gets moved indoors the next time the WJC is in the US they will try it again in Buffalo.

The outdoor game nostalgia is in a word: hogwash. 

Most of these kids grew up playing on artificial ice under fluorescent lighting at 0500 or 2200 hours. And I'm becoming more and more right every day as more kids are coming out of non-traditional hockey regions (see: CA, MO, AZ). 

But it's an "event" and television loves the scenery of a large stadium, bundled up fans, and the Charlie Brown snowflakes drifting in the air. 

And it'll continue until one day, one sunny day, on poor ice conditions, a superstar loses an edge and goes into the boards hard and career-ending. I wish that upon no one; however, I fear I'll see it. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Most of these kids grew up playing on artificial ice under fluorescent lighting at 0500 or 2200 hours. And I'm becoming more and more right every day as more kids are coming out of non-traditional hockey regions (see: CA, MO, AZ). 

But it's an "event" and television loves the scenery of a large stadium, bundled up fans, and the Charlie Brown snowflakes drifting in the air. 

And it'll continue until one day, one sunny day, on poor ice conditions, a superstar loses an edge and goes into the boards hard and career-ending. I wish that upon no one; however, I fear I'll see it. 

I agree with the injury reference, just didn't want the pox upon my soul for predicting it...

I think this tourney is Team USA's to lose, will Motzko be headed to the NHL?

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

You know what's funny, is that this whole "nostalgia" came about when Edmonton played Montreal outdoors in 2003.  The NHL thought this was a "gimmick," then changed their minds when they saw how wildly successful it was.  It didn't take long to nuke the fridge with this fiasco.  The fact that team USA and Canada will play a meaningful World Junior Tournament game outdoors in sub-zero weather and heavy snowfall is a joke.  And don't even get me started on shuffling the usual pool play seedings just to make this joke of a game happen.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

How is it that the Czech Republic is good at hockey and that Slovakia isn’t as good as the Czech Republic?

44 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

How is it that ND, MN, WI, IL are good at hockey and SD+IA are pretty much hockey non-existent? 

latest?cb=20150822174323

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

How is it that the Czech Republic is good at hockey and that Slovakia isn’t as good as the Czech Republic?

Almost all of the facilities under the communist regime centered around Prague, in what is now the Czech Republic.  When the country split into two, the rinks and resourses were left to the Czechs.  Slovakia was left with the scraps and has essentially had to build its program from scratch.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

Almost all of the facilities under the communist regime centered around Prague, in what is now the Czech Republic.  When the country split into two, the rinks and resourses were left to the Czechs.  Slovakia was left with the scraps and has essentially had to build its program from scratch.

Also Czechia has roughly double the population of Slovensko.

11 minutes ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

Also Czechia has roughly double the population of Slovensko.

The hockey association even placed restrictions on the number of Slovaks placed on the national teams.  Contrary to what the communists wanted you to believe, there was little harmony amongst the two halves of the country.