SiouxSports.com Forum

World Juniors 2017-2018

Wilbur

The US badly needs a W (regulation or OT), or yes, they'll likely be the 4A seed. 

And they won't know who they'll be playing until late as SWE and RUS play the last game of pool play. There's an outside chance it could even be the Czechs*. 

Who's laughing through all this? The team who "lost" on Friday. They've already locked the 1A seed and have today and tomorrow off to get ready for quarters on Jan 2. 

So, to Mafia's point, breaking the standard bracketing seems to have helped last year's silver more than last year's gold. 

*That might be a lie as I'm not 100% up to date on my IIHF pool play tie-breakers for seeding. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Sorry, UNDBIZ, you're missing the whole point.  

No I get being upset about the brackets. But USA isn't looking at a possible 4 seed because of Canada being in its bracket. In the case of being the 4 seed, we would have lost to Slovakia and Finland.  

Also, the changing of the bracket to make Canada play USA wasn't  really doing Canada (the silver medal team) any favors either.

The fact that the bracket was modified to put the USA and Canada on the same side should be concerning for more than just this year.  I can only presume that the IIHF is licking their chops at doing it again next year as the tournament is being held where again?

Oh yea.  Canada.

Just now, iluvdebbies said:

https://www.tsn.ca/buffalo-to-host-2018-world-juniors-include-outdoor-game-1.404378

Looks like USA Hockey requested the move back in 2015 if Canada and the U.S. qualified in different pools.

No pity for self-inflicted wounds. But I do laugh at them.