SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Signing Day

F'n Hawks

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

If Okpoko doesn't get the late offer from sdsu, were most here even that excited about him? It seems most here base their entire opinion of a recruit on who else wants him. 

For me personally, I was really pumped about him. I thought the kid had huge upside. Already at a great size,and will only get stronger.

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Actually they were making fun of Kleiman for saying "today was a home run for us", when actualy if UND had just signed the class NDSU did, they would be saying the same thing about the Fighting Hawk class. 

Serious question, how many of those recruits go with Klieman when/ if he goes FBS?

• Upvote 1

We currently have three decent QB's on the roster. We do need to sign one but we got two last year alone. Reports on Boltman are solid. No panic yet. Losing the kid to SDSU sucks but we are fairly deep there at DLine. We got more length and speed at corner and safety. We got better at o-line and Linebacker and added more depth at WR. And let's hope we don't need many of these kids next year. Cause we have a lot coming back next year. Solid class.

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Actually they were making fun of Kleiman for saying "today was a home run for us", when actualy if UND had just signed the class NDSU did, they would be saying the same thing about the Fighting Hawk class. 

What? Is Klieman not NDSU? It was tongue in cheek genius.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Special teams is truly a talent game.  Linebackers that can run are a critical piece to that.......which we were depleted in for 2017.  That is part of the reason kick coverage was pretty average.  The other reason is our kicker was knicked up and he couldn't kick a touchback when he wanted nor get proper hang time.  By all accounts kick return was decent as it's a main reason Santiago is an AA.  (I guess other teams scoring so much on use helps in a weird way for return yards, too)  Punt team is usually as good as the punter.......nothing Kostich can do besides get a better punter.  Same with punt return, put someone back that's dangerous and when the opposing team has a bad punt, make them pay.

And the big thing everyone is pissed about, is the roughing the punter call against Richmond.  I guarantee you, know for a fact, "punt safe' was called.  In a punt safe the only time we should go for a block is if the punter drops the snap.  The player that committed the error is no longer on the team for being a habitual dumbass.  You can't put that on Kostich.

Kostich is a real positive for this program and I'll leave it at that.

This is 100% what I was getting at. Thank you for spelling it out better than I could have. The trickle down effect of the injuries hurts every facet of the game. I know that UND will sometimes use starters on kick coverage (Ratelle was always fun to watch), but at some point, when you don't have any back-ups because the third stringers are starting, you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

I asssumed people just got tired of blaming the OC for everything so special teams was the next logical spot to look.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Special teams is truly a talent game.  Linebackers that can run are a critical piece to that.......which we were depleted in for 2017.  That is part of the reason kick coverage was pretty average.  The other reason is our kicker was knicked up and he couldn't kick a touchback when he wanted nor get proper hang time.  By all accounts kick return was decent as it's a main reason Santiago is an AA.  (I guess other teams scoring so much on use helps in a weird way for return yards, too)  Punt team is usually as good as the punter.......nothing Kostich can do besides get a better punter.  Same with punt return, put someone back that's dangerous and when the opposing team has a bad punt, make them pay.

And the big thing everyone is pissed about, is the roughing the punter call against Richmond.  I guarantee you, know for a fact, "punt safe' was called.  In a punt safe the only time we should go for a block is if the punter drops the snap.  The player that committed the error is no longer on the team for being a habitual dumbass.  You can't put that on Kostich.

Thats fair, and I'll buy into that reasoning.

Rudy should still be gone. 

15 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

This is 100% what I was getting at. Thank you for spelling it out better than I could have. The trickle down effect of the injuries hurts every facet of the game. I know that UND will sometimes use starters on kick coverage (Ratelle was always fun to watch), but at some point, when you don't have any back-ups because the third stringers are starting, you have to make sacrifices somewhere.

I asssumed people just got tired of blaming the OC for everything so special teams was the next logical spot to look.

In 2016, special teams did make a significant contribution to 2 of our 3 losses (Richmond penalty and Stony Brook blocked punt), so I can understand the finger-pointing.  But yes, personnel on the field matter.

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

In 2016, special teams did make a significant contribution to 2 of our 3 losses (Richmond penalty and Stony Brook blocked punt), so I can understand the finger-pointing.  But yes, personnel on the field matter.

Good add - the dreaded SB punt block.  About that game - Stony Brook's defensive pressure, and punt rush, pretty much kicked our butt that entire game.

1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

I assume the FBS dropdown is one of the Gopher LBs. Wonder the the RB prospect is.

If I were to guess:

1st team all state rb in Missouri. 5'9" 170# with a 4.3 40 time at Ohio St camp. Has offers from Idaho and Air Force along with a Nebraska baseball offer. 

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/4061703/59d52aafd45e4a20f8575dd2

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Maybe stop speculating. The Richmond fame on film showed the kicker moved into the rushing und player. K ostrich and the Bubba actually apologized for the reaction after the game. Transfered out to get a new start may be best. Torrey hunt has his first 2 offers as well from Georgia and Mississippi state. Nice looking these talented players? 

4 minutes ago, Great white said:

Maybe stop speculating. The Richmond fame on film showed the kicker moved into the rushing und player. K ostrich and the Bubba actually apologized for the reaction after the game. Transfered out to get a new start may be best. Torrey hunt has his first 2 offers as well from Georgia and Mississippi state. Nice looking these talented players? 

Georgia and Mississippi State....ok. 

Best of luck to the kid.