SiouxSports.com Forum

Early Signing Day

F'n Hawks

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

For me it's the bad year on the field.  It's hard to hype back up to previous levels after going from projected 1st to almost worst.  Some feel regardless of the players we won't use their talent anyway.  The staff has some proving to do, and credibility has to be earned back on the field of play.  

Well said. 

It's hard to hype up much after a bad season, and while there are some exciting ones, the are others that leave something to be desired.

We are the only D1 offer for some of these kids. Yes, I've heard the John Santiago reasoning; but I think we can agree Santiago is the exception, not the rule. I'm sure the coaches see something in these kids, but kids with multiple offers clearly have something that is visible as well. Are we afraid we will lose the recruiting battles on them?

Im also turned off to some of these safety converted linebackers. Yes Palmborg is playing well, but I think some of these undersized guys have struggled and it showed this year. If we continue with that type of undersized LB we will certainly get exposed in the MVFC.

so altogether ... yes, Bubba and crew have done some nice things. No, I'm not calling for his head like some. Yes, I think he does need to show some serious improvement on the field and in recruiting over the next year or two if he wants to continue coaching at this level.

Bubbas biggest fail to this point is keeping my Rudy and Kostich. He could have changed those up this offseason and didn't, he now owns responsibility for the success/failure of those spots going forward. Had never heard Rudy talk before the signing show today, and I wasn't overly impressed.

Can somebody post what UND360 Tweeted.....I don't have Twitter nor do I want to.    Losing Okpoko really sucks, I think if we landed him that may have made people feel better overall about the class.  As for the less hype this year I think it is because of the early signing period and time of the year.  I was so busy today I kind of forgot what day it was and didn't even check in until now.   I haven't seen the film on Maag so not sure if he is a stud or not.  Would be nice to get a stud at WR....as in the type of guy that Montana or EWU would have recruited.  However NDSU has shown you can still be successful without elite WR's.  Hoping Rain and these new hogs will help us plow the way when we get into the MVFC. 

We are just going to have to make the best of what we get and keep working to fill the holes by the spring signing date.    Can't get a better team until we get better recruits and can't get better recruits until we get a better team.    This just seems to be an endless cycle of tail chasing.    I really question Bubba when it comes to recruiting though.    Something just isn't clicking and it sounds like that team up stream from us got a few good ones today.

No QB signed today is disheartening to be sure.

7 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Can somebody post what UND360 Tweeted.....I don't have Twitter nor do I want to.    Losing Okpoko really sucks, I think if we landed him that may have made people feel better overall about the class.  As for the less hype this year I think it is because of the early signing period and time of the year.  I was so busy today I kind of forgot what day it was and didn't even check in until now.   I haven't seen the film on Maag so not sure if he is a stud or not.  Would be nice to get a stud at WR....as in the type of guy that Montana or EWU would have recruited.  However NDSU has shown you can still be successful without elite WR's.  Hoping Rain and these new hogs will help us plow the way when we get into the MVFC. 

Agreed on the hogs.OL is the key to success, and I think that is where NDSU has really dominated. 

Thlack of hype has to be a combo, bad season, timing, lack of really exciting players. Yeah, Okpoko had me bummed.

truth is, who cares about the hype of today, if UND comes out strong next season a lot of this perspective will change.

im looking forward to never seeing a season of injuries like that again. I'm hoping the OL can open some more room to run. I'm on board with Ketteringham; just my opinion he will start. Give him time and he has Wanzek, Toivenen, Izzy, Griebel, McKinney (and tight ends ... ahem, Rudy)

our defensive run game was awful due to no LB core, that should be cleaned up and deeper this year.

Praying Harris will be back 100% my biggest question mark on defense is Safety.

Need to absolutely stomp Miss Valley to start the season and would love to see the upset of Sam Houston. They will have a new QB but NDSU just showed a pretty good method to beating them. 

IF UND is healthy, that could be a very fun game and a good measuring stick. Statement game and something that could carry some meaning come playoff time.

wow that was a lot of rambling. I guess I'm more pumped for UND football than I thought after such a disappoint 2017.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TRex said:

We are just going to have to make the best of what we get and keep working to fill the holes by the spring signing date.    Can't get a better team until we get better recruits and can't get better recruits until we get a better team.    This just seems to be an endless cycle of tail chasing.    I really question Bubba when it comes to recruiting though.    Something just isn't clicking and it sounds like that team up stream from us got a few good ones today.

Do we even have a QB we are after? And I mean a D1 QB? Not a Bolinske or Heidelbaugh.

13 minutes ago, TRex said:

5 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Do we even have a QB we are after? And I mean a D1 QB? Not a Bolinske or Heidelbaugh.

5a3b1ed113bef_NegativityMeme.png.0bc3ac67d837e2ce4ffe58fff83d88ae.png

53 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Bubbas biggest fail to this point is keeping my Rudy and Kostich. He could have changed those up this offseason and didn't, he now owns responsibility for the success/failure of those spots going forward. Had never heard Rudy talk before the signing show today, and I wasn't overly impressed.

I won't get into the hate on Rudolph, no one is going to change their minds but I don't get the hate on Kostich at all. I've heard nothing but good things from players and people connected to the program about him. 

I get the angst on the QB thing but I guess at this point the alternative was to sign someone they aren't sold on and UND would be their only offer, so no one would be happy. If they are going to do that, there's no reason they can't just do it in February. At least now they have more time to find someone they like. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

image.png.212e120cd74089ffdd88607c655a0ca7.png

Positives on today's signings:

1.  Rain-  massive!   the gem of the class imo.  Plays football the way it's supposed to be played.....aggressive 

2.  Siegel-  looks legit and fluid.  

3. Bruner-  great get by the coaches ...has a nice twitch.  

4. Kadon-  I really like his film.  Nice size. 

Negatives

1.  No qb !?    Outside of Brock, the coaches seem to not invest interest in the qb. This is the most important position in football ... they need to "up" their recruiting effort. 

2.  Would like to see a couple more OL and ILB.  

3.  Rudolph is still here 

4 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

This is exactly what they are referencing.

Actually they were making fun of Kleiman for saying "today was a home run for us", when actualy if UND had just signed the class NDSU did, they would be saying the same thing about the Fighting Hawk class. 

12 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

If Okpoko doesn't get the late offer from sdsu, were most here even that excited about him? It seems most here base their entire opinion of a recruit on who else wants him. 

I was thinking the same thing, same can be said with the other player who decided on a PWO to Wisconsin earlier this year. Only two examples, but it was mentioned before, that just because some (most) of the recruits didn't have a lot of offers, doesn't mean there wasn't interest after they committed, especially the earlier ones. Those two decided to go elsewhere, I'm sure there were some that signed today that obviously decided to keep their commitment.