SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-5) @ SDSU (8-4) 12/12 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

6 minutes ago, UND1981 said:

He should be playing at Mayville.  We'll see next year if he has D1 talent.  I hope I am wrong.

You could saw that for over half the stiffs currently seeing the floor at UND

• Upvote 1

Biggest difference I see this year is no leadership at the point spot and no defense, whatsoever.  Last year they played defense and got some stops.  

This year it's a wide open parade to the basket anytime the opponent wants it.  This might be Jonesy's worst defensive team ever.  What a statement that is considering the garbage we have seen the last 10+ years.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Never put a coach in a lame duck year (unless you hands are tied by the state). It rarely works long term. 

I think we are seeing the effects of that from Faison's indecision two seasons ago.  

That's a total stretch...............................how do you explain the team's BJ put together prior to that?  Most those team were a mirror image of this one.

11 hours ago, jdub27 said:

I've never said that it anything close to that. If I have issues with someone or something I'm likely not going to air it out here but in the off chance I do, I'm actually going to address the issue and not make continuous posts implying something. 

The fact that you continue to make posts like that and then admit your aren't surprised that someone takes issue with it says a lot. Put your money where your mouth is and provide specifics so people can see what these accusations you keep hinting around actually are. There are plenty of people on here who have enough info to back up your claims or tell you you have no clue what you're talking about. At this point your cryptic messages are just trolling, which you've basically admitted. 

If you're coming to this forum looking for validated reporting, then your source preferences should be questioned more than anything else. You should expect such "air it out" claims regularly here; furthermore, actually spending your time policing such claims is certainly excessive. 

I prefer getting my information "straight from the horse's mouth", but I have no problem "beating around the bushes" on this website as that seems most appropriate given the nature of fan forums. 

Good day. 

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

That's a total stretch...............................how do you explain the team's BJ put together prior to that?  Most those team were a mirror image of this one.

I'd argue from a talent standpoint, minus 14-15, they have enough to overcome these issues some of the time.  Right now they do not outside of their starters.  They might say it grade wise for some, but reality wise the bench is a bunch of freshman.   Brown is the only one who has significant minutes from last year (all 213 of them).

Do I think good decisions have been made with the last two recruiting classes?  Questionable. I'd would have redshirt everybody last year and only have let Tray play from this class. 

Its not too much of a stretch in the world of recruiting.  You don't think that coaches used that against UND that Jones was a lame duck?  

I am in no way giving Jones a pass for this however.  They should have done a better job under the circumstances of at least brining in one "Seales" type player in the last two years.  Someone who made a bit of an impact as a freshman, but could see signs of being a player. Tray is the closest out of all of them but he's wasn't as high regarded as Seales was. It doesn't excuse the staff, but... Faison never should have put Jones in that position.  He either should have extended him short-term or had just let him go after the 15-16 season and not have waited so long to extend him after the season.  

Would this had happen to any other team at UND?  I bet he would have extended Idalski if women's hockey was still around after last year and not even blink. 

Can't do anything now but ride the horses you got.  I go back to what I said last night.  Everyone needs to step up in the UND basketball program, especially with new eyes being looked at it in the future.  

3 hours ago, UND1981 said:

He should be playing at Mayville.  We'll see next year if he has D1 talent.  I hope I am wrong.

I disagree. He's the type of kid who has often ended up at MSU-Moorhead, and the Dragons would have beaten UND in several recent seasons IMO. Moody can score, and his athletic ability is better than several perimeter players who have played significant minutes at UND in the division I era. Even if he doesn't pan out for whatever reason, I have zero problem with Jones giving a ND kid a shot given the incredible numbers Moody put up in high school. I think Jones has made a lot of recruiting mistakes over the years, but I think this was a good decision. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

Never put a coach in a lame duck year (unless you hands are tied by the state). It rarely works long term. 

I think we are seeing the effects of that from Faison's indecision two seasons ago.  

Never put a coach is a lame duck year is 100% correct....jones had a solid year in 16 and everyone back for 17....so the extension should have happened in 16....or can him in 16.  Faison was really stupid on the jones deal . Jones has not been recruiting all that well anyways...striking out a lot and ending up with too  many kids no other D1 schools wanted....that being said this team is not playing up to their talent level....and that is on the coaching staff.... look at drake every one picks them last they are smaller than UND but the new coaching staff has them playing smart and tough small ball... Coach Jones will get a pass contractually speaking for the next couple years ...but the next AD will not stupid enough to have a lame duck coach in order to save a 1 year buyout.   Jones may well have to run a player or 2 off the team and work the D1 transfer route to get some pop in his lineup and save his job down the road... Was expecting coach Davidson to use his Australian connections to help with recruiting  but that appears to have been a dead end

2 hours ago, bounce said:

Never put a coach is a lame duck year is 100% correct....jones had a solid year in 16 and everyone back for 17....so the extension should have happened in 16....or can him in 16.  Faison was really stupid on the jones deal . Jones has not been recruiting all that well anyways...striking out a lot and ending up with too  many kids no other D1 schools wanted....that being said this team is not playing up to their talent level....and that is on the coaching staff.... look at drake every one picks them last they are smaller than UND but the new coaching staff has them playing smart and tough small ball... Coach Jones will get a pass contractually speaking for the next couple years ...but the next AD will not stupid enough to have a lame duck coach in order to save a 1 year buyout.   Jones may well have to run a player or 2 off the team and work the D1 transfer route to get some pop in his lineup and save his job down the road... Was expecting coach Davidson to use his Australian connections to help with recruiting  but that appears to have been a dead end

Jones would have been let go had it not been for the budget challenges.  It would have been a political nightmare for the administration to spend $100K+ in buy-out $ when we were cutting sports and other programs within the university.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

100k for d1 basketball.  Is peanuts....geno needs 25 shots a game...let Stewart bring the ball up....geno trying to set up stiffs who cannot shoot is not working out....

Either way, UND's defense remains bad.

Until the defense improves, UND will struggle mightily against quality opponents.

The Big Sky Conference remains mediocre at best, though, so the conference slate will probably make UND look somewhat competent again. 

• Upvote 1

McCauley is out indefinitely with an undisclosed injury.... sounds fishy , I guess if he does not play In the next  couple weeks he will be taking an injury redshirt...has not played in a month so must have suffered a serious injury in Hawaii ..but not serious enough to disclose...maybe Jones is going to bank him this season....

8 hours ago, UND92,96 said:

I disagree. He's the type of kid who has often ended up at MSU-Moorhead, and the Dragons would have beaten UND in several recent seasons IMO. Moody can score, and his athletic ability is better than several perimeter players who have played significant minutes at UND in the division I era. Even if he doesn't pan out for whatever reason, I have zero problem with Jones giving a ND kid a shot given the incredible numbers Moody put up in high school. I think Jones has made a lot of recruiting mistakes over the years, but I think this was a good decision. 

I agree the kid has talent and can play at this level. He has a Way more talented than the Dickinson kid at NDSU. With that being said, i can't see Moody playing for Richman. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

I agree the kid has talent and can play at this level. He has a Way more talented than the Dickinson kid at NDSU. With that being said, i can't see Moody playing for Richman. 

Apparently there are alot of kids that can't play for Richman.

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:10 PM, nd1sufan said:

The reason he didn't have any other D1 offers is he had a lot of growing up to do and made some mistakes as a younger kid.  From everything I have heard from past coaches he has done that.  I think he will play at this level and will succeed at this level.  Honestly, as was the case with some freshmen years past a redshirt year will likely do him good.  Not a lot of kids are physically ready to play right out of high school and the amount of minutes he would have got this season would have been peanuts compared to what he will likely be playing 4 years from now. 

Kid at NDSU is the same way.  Redshirt him.  Let him focus on getting more mature physically and see what he grows into.