SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA @ Huskies - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Boys will need a lot more energy tomorrow.  Overall a decent game though St. Cloud seemed to want it a bit more, but cam was huge. Jones hasn’t been quite the plater he was earlier.  Hopefully he comes back strong tomorrow.  Hopefully Hoff is back as well. 

8 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

Not possible, the refs will find a way to put us there!

I know we certainly deserve most of the penalties we get but tonight I saw a UND player get checked from behind or at the very least boarding or charging right in front of the ref and he did nothing. Did anyone else catch that?

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Boys will need a lot more energy tomorrow.  Overall a decent game though St. Cloud seemed to want it a bit more, but cam was huge. Jones hasn’t been quite the plater he was earlier.  Hopefully he comes back strong tomorrow.  Hopefully Hoff is back as well. 

How much energy could we possibly have tonight with all the guys playing PK? Radio was saying Mismash and Adams (as examples)? hardly played 2nd period because of all the penalties. 

This team, when healthy, is built to play 5x5 hockey. The line with Simo Smith _____ has been better than our other lines most games. Good to see Olson back but the big ice isn't kind to him. Rieger might be a great 4 year find. Love that kid.

Micheletti seemed to go out of his way to praise UND for much of the night, and not backhanded compliments either.  I hated the guy when he was on the ice (he was yippy and could score like crazy) but he seemed very fair tonight.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, crb1 said:

I know we certainly deserve most of the penalties we get but tonight I saw a UND player get checked from behind or at the very least boarding or charging right in front of the ref and he did nothing. Did anyone else catch that?

Yea I saw it and commented on it earlier. I said St. Cloud smooshed Poganski into the boards and didn’t get called, I guess we can do that now

4 minutes ago, jk said:

Micheletti seemed to go out of his way to praise UND for much of the night, and not backhanded compliments either.  I hated the guy when he was on the ice (he was yippy and could score like crazy) but he seemed very fair tonight.

After the Gophers were eliminated from the 2016 NCAA tournament, Pat refused to discuss college hockey on the show.  ZERO mention of the Frozen Four after its conclusion, too.  

I’ve noticed a trend of refs swallowing their whistles in the 3rd (nothing new) but then calling a weak penalty in OT this year. I’m in the “a penalty in the first is a penalty in the 3rd camp” but if you don’t call legitimate penalties in the 3rd it should take something significant in OT. 

11 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

This team, when healthy, is built to play 5x5 hockey. The line with Simo Smith _____ has been better than our other lines most games. Good to see Olson back but the big ice isn't kind to him. Rieger might be a great 4 year find. Love that kid.

How nice it would have been to have a Dixon Bowen on that ice surface.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Jim Rich has got to look over the player’s names and try and get them right.  It would be nice if UND had some kind of media guide with name pronunciations for him to look at....;)

I thought the announcers were fine....It was nice to see the game in HD

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GDPritch said:

Yah, how the hell is our PP coach keeping his job.....

Look, we don’t recruit power play guys. We recruit 2-way players. Look at our roster. How many of those guys do you think are specifically built for the PP type guys? Kawaguchi? Adams? This team is built for even strength. 

St Cloud recruits to their Olympic sheet. They recruit power play guys. That’s why they always have a good power play. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jk said:

Every broadcast I've watched where Mic is the color man, he's been fair.  In fact I've rather enjoyed his take on things.  And the times I do catch Beyond The Pond on KFAN I enjoy listening to him.  Much more than that crybaby Nate Miller.  But make no mistake:  He's a gopher guy to the bone.  But I think he can appreciates a certain style of play when it's mixed with a certain level of play.  And we usually play that style.  

8 hours ago, siouxforce19 said:

How much energy could we possibly have tonight with all the guys playing PK? Radio was saying Mismash and Adams (as examples)? hardly played 2nd period because of all the penalties. 

Some of those penalties were bogus but some were real too.  I’ve played hockey my whole life and I’ve learned one thing as far as officiating goes. When you control possession, more likely than not, you’ll get the pp’s.  When you’re chasing the game, you’ll be on the pk a lot.  The reffing wasn’t good whatsoever, but besides several minutes in the first, we were chasing that game.

Boys probably got gassed during the second, that’s understandable. And you’re right, guys like mismash, kawaguchi, Adams, etc didn’t even play.  Either way, the boys need to relax a bit and come out buzzing tonight.

9 hours ago, crb1 said:

Yeah, I saw that.  I believe it was lazotte.  Same player also had an interference that wasn't called

1 hour ago, burd said:

Where do you go for those stats, goon?

(Here)

Penalty Kill: Totals SHF PCT
  1 Ohio State               59/ 64      0      92.2
  2 New Hampshire            64/ 70      0      91.4
  3 Bemidji State            47/ 52      1      90.4
  4 North Dakota             73/ 83      0      88.0
  5 Niagara                  65/ 74      5      87.8
  6 Notre Dame               56/ 64      2      87.5
  7 Clarkson                 71/ 82      1      86.6
  8 Providence               70/ 81      0      86.4
  9 Army West Point          60/ 70      0      85.7
10 Omaha                    57/ 67      0      85.1
    Vermont                  57/ 67      2      85.1

31 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yeah,but our pp needs serious work.  We score from time to time.  But it’s very clunky and not in synch.  It’s been that way for a while now.

Yep, it's ranked 28th in the nation.