SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-3) @ Creighton (5-2) 12/5 7PM

SWSiouxMN

UND beat Presentation.  There, not too much to talk about that one.  Now UND moves back to reality as they head down I-29 to Omaha, to take on the Bluejays of Creighton out of the Big East.

This is once again a talented Creighton squad lead by Greg McDermott.  Picked to be a middle of the pack team in the rugged Big East It was expected to be a bit of a rebuilding year.  Not so much so far.  Notching big non-conference wins at Northwestern and beating UCLA at home suddenly makes Creighton a little more of a threat in the conference and potentially to get back to the NCAA tournament.

Their up-tempo style is led by a solid guard duo of Kyrhi Thomas and Marcus Foster.  Both guards are shooting at a high percentage from the field and from beyond the arc. It should be a great battle between them and Geno/Stewart.  They also have Martin Krampelj, a big man from Slovenia who, after two years of minimum time, is making a major impact.  He had a big night at Northwestern, scoring 17 points and pulling down 5 boards.  Avants will have to play, no pun intented, big in this one. 

Creighton is averaging nearly 90 points per game so far, so expect a lot of points in this one

Speaking of points, Geno is sitting at 948 career points.  It is possible with a pretty decent game, he could have an outside shot of surpassing 1,000 career points against the rival on the 9th. 

This will be the 12th time these two teams have played one another, as the Bluejays hold a 9-2 advantage, although UND won the last meeting all the way back in 1975.  This is the first D-1 meeting.  Jones is 0-3 all time against McDermott in the games from his UNI/ISU days. 

The game will be on FS2

How UND can do the unthinkable:

1) Gotta get hot:  You cannot shot 26% from 3 and expect to win, that needs to change going forward.  This needs to be the starting point of that.  People need to start heating up.  

2) Turn them over:  UND right now is a top 20 team in steals in the nation with around 9.5 steals per game.  They are going to need that and a few more to have a shot.  

3) If 2 happens, they have to cash in.  Extra possessions need to be scored upon, period.  

4) Rebound, rebound, rebound.  A decent effort was shown against Utah Valley, now build on that.  

The call:

UND will need every little thing to go right in this one to even have a chance.  The longer they can hang around, the better their chances.  Right now, I'll settle for a complete performance to build off of for the next two matchups.  Time is running out, there is only 3.5 weeks until conference play starts.  I expect a good performance and a high-scoring affair.  But the Bluejays will be too much.  Perhaps Tray can build off his bench performance and Stewart has a nice showing against his old team. 

Creighton 95-80

18 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

UND beat Presentation.  There, not too much to talk about that one.  Now UND moves back to reality as they head down I-29 to Omaha, to take on the Bluejays of Creighton out of the Big East.

This is once again a talented Creighton squad lead by Greg McDermott.  Picked to be a middle of the pack team in the rugged Big East It was expected to be a bit of a rebuilding year.  Not so much so far.  Notching big non-conference wins at Northwestern and beating UCLA at home suddenly makes Creighton a little more of a threat in the conference and potentially to get back to the NCAA tournament.

Their up-tempo style is led by a solid guard duo of Kyrhi Thomas and Marcus Foster.  Both guards are shooting at a high percentage from the field and from beyond the arc. It should be a great battle between them and Geno/Stewart.  They also have Martin Krampelj, a big man from Slovenia who, after two years of minimum time, is making a major impact.  He had a big night at Northwestern, scoring 17 points and pulling down 5 boards.  Avants will have to play, no pun intented, big in this one. 

Creighton is averaging nearly 90 points per game so far, so expect a lot of points in this one

Speaking of points, Geno is sitting at 948 career points.  It is possible with a pretty decent game, he could have an outside shot of surpassing 1,000 career points against the rival on the 9th. 

This will be the 12th time these two teams have played one another, as the Bluejays hold a 9-2 advantage, although UND won the last meeting all the way back in 1975.  This is the first D-1 meeting.  Jones is 0-3 all time against McDermott in the games from his UNI/ISU days. 

The game will be on FS2

How UND can do the unthinkable:

1) Gotta get hot:  You cannot shot 26% from 3 and expect to win, that needs to change going forward.  This needs to be the starting point of that.  People need to start heating up.  

2) Turn them over:  UND right now is a top 20 team in steals in the nation with around 9.5 steals per game.  They are going to need that and a few more to have a shot.  

3) If 2 happens, they have to cash in.  Extra possessions need to be scored upon, period.  

4) Rebound, rebound, rebound.  A decent effort was shown against Utah Valley, now build on that.  

The call:

UND will need every little thing to go right in this one to even have a chance.  The longer they can hang around, the better their chances.  Right now, I'll settle for a complete performance to build off of for the next two matchups.  Time is running out, there is only 3.5 weeks until conference play starts.  I expect a good performance and a high-scoring affair.  But the Bluejays will be too much.  Perhaps Tray can build off his bench performance and Stewart has a nice showing against his old team. 

Creighton 95-80

Is FS2 offered by MIDCO? It was listed in the Herald, but I can't find it on the channel guide.

2 hours ago, Sodbuster said:

Is FS2 offered by MIDCO? It was listed in the Herald, but I can't find it on the channel guide.

339, 639 shown wednesday at 2am. Live on foxsportsgo

Edit: Not live on foxsportsgo since midco doesn't have fs2. Only tape delayed on 339, 639, or foxsportsgo

Live on satellite tv, 149 on dish

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Given that NDSU isn't all that good either, I think beating them is very possible.

Plus it’s at home unlike the next two at SDSU who is playing #6 Witchita St tough and of course at Gonzaga which could be an ugly final.

I like our players on the offensive end,  we can create shots and score.  However, the defense is pretty poor.  Too many back doors and players getting beat off the dribble.  In order to compete in the Summit the defense needs to get better.