SiouxSports.com Forum

Would You Rather

geaux_sioux

Slip or Surpass?  

72 members have voted

1. 1. Would You Rather NDSU Slip Back Down To The Pack Or UND Surpass Their Current Level?

• NDSU slips
    • UND surpasses

First post on the football side of things here on ss. I was wondering if there is any talk of ndsu moving to a different conference? I watched the game last night and it was terrible for a playoff game. They should up the level of competition a bit don't you think? Big fish in a small pool thing going on.

40 minutes ago, Mhockey said:

First post on the football side of things here on ss. I was wondering if there is any talk of ndsu moving to a different conference? I watched the game last night and it was terrible for a playoff game. They should up the level of competition a bit don't you think? Big fish in a small pool thing going on.

They currently play in the top conference in FCS and have many close games every year. We are moving to that conference in a couple of years. The other conferences are far weaker which causes the regular season to be more difficult than the playoffs for Missouri Valley teams.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Do you feel better saying all this negative stupid sh*t?  

I dont like the negativity either but in this case ir was justified. Sam Houston would have demolished this year's UND team and easily scored 50 on us with our depleted secondary and no true ILB'S.  They scored 40 on SDSU in the first half, probably would have on us too this year. Looking forward to next year' game, hopefully Harris will be healthy and ready to go. 

3 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

I dont like the negativity either but in this case ir was justified. Sam Houston would have demolished this year's UND team and easily scored 50 on us with our depleted secondary and no true ILB'S.  They scored 40 on SDSU in the first half, probably would have on us too this year. Looking forward to next year' game, hopefully Harris will be healthy and ready to go. 

*USD

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

We have OL recruits that come in and digress. Stockwell had an offer from NDSU. Had he gone there he would have had better coaching and would have been closer to reaching his potential. Saying that is like passing a Goddamn kidney stone for me but it’s the sad truth.

I was thinking last night.....UND's OL coach should be taking notes while watching NDSU's line. If the young guys that had to end up playing this year don' take a nice step forward, the OL coach has to go. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, homer said:

They had two guys run for close to 200 yards and ran for over 400 as a team.  

Threw for 160. 

Actually it was right out of Rudolph’s playcalling.  Good chunk of their runs were A gap power.  

Their o line/te/fb group was dominate.  

You think our run scheme is close to SU?  It isn't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gothmog said:

"Looked" terrible is exactly the point. NDSU is the reason they looked terrible. Despite the way they looked last night, Sam is a good FCS team. They likely would have hung a big number on this year's UND squad.

Sam H. stomps us next year, no doubts about that.

5 hours ago, homer said:

No !@#$......

Amazing how much more physically ready a position like OL/TE can be when you start 3 Sr., 2 Jrs and only one So.  and half of those guys are backed up by Sr.  Who would have thought right?

Makes me wonder how the sophomore heavy Bison team won the Natty a few years back, according to some only Jr. or Sr. can be productive.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

You think our run scheme is close to SU?  It isn't.

You think Sam Houston would have stopped NDSU if they would have run straight FB lead up the A gap last night?  

They run more power but most of their success last night was A/B gap stuff.  SHSU wasn’t stopping it.  

24 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Makes me wonder how the sophomore heavy Bison team won the Natty a few years back, according to some only Jr. or Sr. can be productive.

Well, I’ve never argued their off season program is way ahead of ours (and most others).  

We are talking OL/TE/FB.  So they started 4 So/FR in one season?  What year was that?  

39 minutes ago, homer said:

You think Sam Houston would have stopped NDSU if they would have run straight FB lead up the A gap last night?  

They run more power but most of their success last night was A/B gap stuff.  SHSU wasn’t stopping it.  

Complete exaggeration. No one on NDSU would run straight FB lead all night. Rudolph on the other hand might have tried. Don't oversimplify NDSU's offense; they do a lot with pre-snap shifts and spreading the ball around.

UND doesn't spread the ball around nearly as much which directly comes back to offensive game planning. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, homer said:

Well, I’ve never argued their off season program is way ahead of ours (and most others).  

We are talking OL/TE/FB.  So they started 4 So/FR in one season?  What year was that?  

SU was heavy underclassmen B. Jenson's sophomore year, then 2 years later as a Senior heavy team they beat a K State team that was wet behind the ears, 17 new starters. (going off memory)

3 hours ago, homer said:

SU tosses everything at you plus the kitchen sink, often multiple lineman pulling while we mostly straight ahead block on run plays. (in general)

Sam H. was exposed in a lot of ways, SU had the horses to do it.  I thought SU won the coaching battle, and that part wasn't even close.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, gundy1124 said:

SU tosses everything at you plus the kitchen sink, often multiple lineman pulling while we mostly straight ahead block on run plays. (in general)

Sam H. was exposed in a lot of ways, SU had the horses to do it.  I thought SU won the coaching battle, and that part wasn't even close.

SHSU had no idea what to do on offense and defense.  

Two best teams playing in Frisco in a few weeks.  

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

SU was heavy underclassmen B. Jenson's sophomore year, then 2 years later as a Senior heavy team they beat a K State team that was wet behind the ears, 17 new starters. (going off memory)

Skill guys maybe but I believe they had McNorton and Holloway along with a young but talented Ojuri   Defensively they had very experienced LBs that year and some DL that played a lot of games in their rotation   

In my posts above I was only referring to the OL/TE/FB spots.  They develop them better than most teams and don’t ask a lot of Fr and So to play unless they are really legit.  That year they were still Sr and Jr dominate upfront.  In their offense (and eventually ours) that makes a difference.  

Our young hogs were just physically not ready this year.  None of them were a Grady but even he would have had a difficult time his one season if surrounded by 3 other guys his age as well.  That’s all I was saying.  OL development/coaching needs to get way, way better.  

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Complete exaggeration. No one on NDSU would run straight FB lead all night. Rudolph on the other hand might have tried. Don't oversimplify NDSU's offense; they do a lot with pre-snap shifts and spreading the ball around.

UND doesn't spread the ball around nearly as much which directly comes back to offensive game planning. 

I’m well aware what NDSU does on offense.