SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Broncos - FRIDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

7 minutes ago, sprig said:

Since he didn't feel anything, he had to guess at what the referees might have thought they had seen,  so had to feign injury to every body part.  His writhing on the ice made it look like serious internal injury occured. These referees have to look closely at the tape postgame and target these morons in future games. The WMU bench didn't look concerned,  they must have known what was up

They sure did.  Murray got in Joe’s head and he knew that taking dives wasn’t going to hurt so he got his best diver to go for gold on the 1 meter spring board and got a perfect 10. 

I'm surprised how wide open that game was. WMU used to play a lot tighter, more like we saw last week. It was fun to watch, but there were a lot of dangerous hits on both sides. Since Western was so passive in the kill early, UND was able to setup some pretty sweet looking plays. 

Adams reminds me a bit of Caggiula. Not the same motor, but an elite shot, and clutch scoring. As with a couple other freshmen this year, he could be a great four-year college player. Kawaguchi appears to be catching up to the game as well. 

• Upvote 1

On a positive note (remember, we did win the game!), when this team skates and moves their feet, they are very dangerous. When they stand around and watch, they are putrid. Union did a lot of obstructing and WMU did as well. The difference between last week and this week is that our guys are using their speed to attack the net and force Western Michigan to try and keep up. Last week, we looked like we were on sedatives (Tryptophan?).

I don't just want to win and sweep tonight. I want to bury these punks. This could be the beginning of an intense rivalry.

• Upvote 1

Lost in the frantic shuffle of the final seconds was a critical face off win by Simonson.   Kudos to him.

On the minus side, there's two coachable moments in the last 3 minutes.  Those are the penalties on Wolanin and Shaw.  Each guy took his hand off the stick and reached out, which led to the calls.  (Yeah the one on Wolanin was a dive but he can't do that ...)   AND importantly, both penalties occurred in non-threatening places - "unnecessary" to say the least.   I'd be surprised if either guy does that again.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Vegas_Sioux said:

They sure did.  Murray got in Joe’s head and he knew that taking dives wasn’t going to hurt so he got his best diver to go for gold on the 1 meter spring board and got a perfect 10. 

I meant they didn't look concerned with what they knew to be a non-injury

22 minutes ago, sprig said:

Since he didn't feel anything, he had to guess at what the referees might have thought they had seen,  so had to feign injury to every body part.  His writhing on the ice made it look like serious internal injury occured. These referees have to look closely at the tape postgame and target these morons in future games. The WMU bench didn't look concerned,  they must have known what was up

We’ve all been saying that for years now, It’ll never happen!

1 minute ago, Emerald joker said:

We’ve all been saying that for years now, It’ll never happen!

The emphasis on eliminating diving has greatly improved the acting,  obviously. Coaches need to eliminate it,  or add another review to the already too many reviews.

22 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

It wasn’t even anything major, it was a shoulder elbow hit you would do walking by someone you don’t like.

The biggest problem I have with it is that Pogo took a hit 10 times worse on the blue line around the 9 min mark in the 1st and no call. The inconsistency of the reffing these last couple of games is getting more pathetic each week. 

• Upvote 3

48 minutes ago, Emerald joker said:

It wasn’t even anything major, it was a shoulder elbow hit you would do walking by someone you don’t like.

Or multiple times in the Ralph concourse,  by someone you don't know. 

57 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Until league gives game suspensions for obvious dives it won't stop.

Game suspension, and multiple games for Earl or Cepis like consistency.  

The league is never going to give out suspensions for diving.... We all know this.

1 hour ago, sprig said:

These referees have to look closely at the tape postgame and target these morons in future games.

And someone made that point earlier.   It's a fast moving game, and refs do not have the benefit of slo mo or replay when they make their calls, so they are often difficult to make.  Divers make refs look bad, something that I'm sure pisses them off.  They will remember the divers next time they are on the ice with them, just as I'm sure they remember the dirty players.   What DiPietro did may have helped his team last night, but now that the crew has had the chance to review the play, I suspect he is much more apt to draw a 2 the next time he tries it with these refs. 

Is there any sort of formal review of on ice officials?   .. cause it seems like a good ol' boys club to me.    I assume the officials are paid, is it a lucrative job, is there a shortage of officials.  How can the league up their game?  Who puts heat on the head of officials?  or does the league love all the controversy, referring to old adage that their is no such thing as bad publicity?

The refs last night really weren't that bad. Goal overturn was the right call. Shaw penalty was soft but certainly call-worthy and we were on the power play at the time. Wolanin penalty was obvious. Gardner penalty looked legit while watching live and they didn't fall for the acting to bump it up to a 5.

Just a series of late game unfortunate events plus good salesmanship by wmu.

• Upvote 4

54 minutes ago, burd said:

And someone made that point earlier.   It's a fast moving game, and refs do not have the benefit of slo mo or replay when they make their calls, so they are often difficult to make.  Divers make refs look bad, something that I'm sure pisses them off.  They will remember the divers next time they are on the ice with them, just as I'm sure they remember the dirty players.   What DiPietro did may have helped his team last night, but now that the crew has had the chance to review the play, I suspect he is much more apt to draw a 2 the next time he tries it with these refs. 

If that was the way it was things would change with certain players but they never seem too

3 hours ago, Siouxhawkey said:

Just watched it, I apologize it was all shoulder, no leg contact. Undhawks4life, learn the game, watch the replay

This is so funny... double trolls? Or.... 1 troll?... Yeah, you and that other dude joined the same day. Sorry guy. 

2 hours ago, fightingsioux4life said:

On a positive note (remember, we did win the game!), when this team skates and moves their feet, they are very dangerous. When they stand around and watch, they are putrid. Union did a lot of obstructing and WMU did as well. The difference between last week and this week is that our guys are using their speed to attack the net and force Western Michigan to try and keep up. Last week, we looked like we were on sedatives (Tryptophan?).

I don't just want to win and sweep tonight. I want to bury these punks. This could be the beginning of an intense rivalry.

Western turned into a goon show last night. I want to blow them away tonight 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

I'm embarrassed to be a hawks fan after that dirty Gardner play. He would be suspended in the NFL for that garbage. Unreal.

Watching the game on NCHC it looked like a trip to me. After all the debate I'll have to track down a replay tp sanity check myself 

That being said, this is a complete overreaction to Gardner. It was a very minor penalty that barely had any contact (if any according to some other posters). I don't know what universe you watch the NHL in, but in this reality players would never get suspended for that.

15 hours ago, UNDHawks4life said:

I'm embarrassed to be a hawks fan after that dirty Gardner play. He would be suspended in the NFL for that garbage. Unreal.

After thinking about this original post I have to agree. Gardner would be suspended in the NFL. You can't wear skates and carry a stick in the NFL.

• Upvote 2

• UNDBIZ locked this topic