SiouxSports.com Forum

Message Board Topic Titles - Can they be improved?

nodak651

A few years ago I posted here asking for a dedicated volleyball thread.  I appreciate your guys effort in making that happen, and I think you making this happen has been very successful and good for the program.

Today I have a new suggestion, as I think there can be some confusion and lack of awareness of topics posted that pertain to the general happenings of UND in academics and athletics.

UND academic topics are currently posted in "Community".  I think renaming the topic by adding something pertaining to UND Academics or creating a new topic that separates discussion of general happenings at UND from topics relating to Grand Forks and the State of North Dakota would be beneficial.  I don't have any evidence to back this up, but I believe having a separate topic for UND academics, faculty, and facilities would increase participation and awareness in these areas.  There are many UND news articles that are published in the Herald and never discussed on this website.    

SiouxSports is also lacking a logical place to post general Athletic Department happenings, such as department-wide apperal deals, media deals, conference affiliation matters, and general AD staffing topics.  These topics are typically discussed in topics related to specific sports, when they are often relevant to all sports at UND.  IMO, I think that this causes the threads posted about some of the issues in these categories to be missed or under-discussed by users who do not venture into non hockey or football or basketball threads, even though some of the issues posted under these topics are relevant to the sports that they care about.  Perhaps there is a better way to categorize department-wide  athletics topics?  Maybe it would be lumped in with with General UND Discussion for academics/athletics, and there could be a separate topic for Grand Forks/State of North Dakota issues.  General UND AD issues could potentially be included with "NCAA News", too.

Also, I think this is the best run college athletics message board, and appreciate those who moderate and manage/own siouxsports.com.  I am just wondering if you guys think that there is room for improvement.  I know that too many topics can also be a bad thing if they aren't used enough. 

What do you think guys think?

• Upvote 1

Basically I think it would be helpful if UND Academics and UND Athletics (overall AD issues) were somehow included in the titles of "Community" and "NCAA News", or if they had a dedicated topic.

Edit: General AD issues are also discussed in "other sports", but logically, other sports means sports that don't have dedicated topics, such as track and field and softball.  Maybe it could be "Other Sports and Athletic Department" or something.  There isn't a logical place to put this stuff right now.

1 hour ago, nodak651 said:

Basically I think it would be helpful if UND Academics and UND Athletics (overall AD issues) were somehow included in the titles of "Community" and "NCAA News", or if they had a dedicated topic.

Edit: General AD issues are also discussed in "other sports", but logically, other sports means sports that don't have dedicated topics, such as track and field and softball.  Maybe it could be "Other Sports and Athletic Department" or something.  There isn't a logical place to put this stuff right now.

I've brought up a very similar idea earlier this fall. I've been posting for only two years but have been reading this message board for many years. Just my observation, there is much more posting going on now, than way back when, about Sports and Academics; and a lot less about UND's logo/name. Ironic, I just brought back a old topic in track and field dated "2013" about a couple of recruits I know that are coming to UND, just before I read this.

There is no genereal Category to go to, to start threads that pertain to atheletics in general, like you mentioned "Other Sport" would mean other sports and not things that would be a discussion about all sports. Or things that pertain to the UND Athelectic Department that are not sport specific.

A "UND Athletic Department" forum would be obvious and easy enough. Is there really enough traffic to justify it, would it be better to rebrand "Other Sports" as "Athletic Department and Other Sports", or do you think this is a situation where the creation of the forum will drive additional discussion on those topics?

I'm less sure about the other. The basic idea is to separate UND-related news from other (Grand Forks, North Dakota, and regional) news?

16 hours ago, jimdahl said:

A "UND Athletic Department" forum would be obvious and easy enough. Is there really enough traffic to justify it, would it be better to rebrand "Other Sports" as "Athletic Department and Other Sports", or do you think this is a situation where the creation of the forum will drive additional discussion on those topics?

I'm less sure about the other. The basic idea is to separate UND-related news from other (Grand Forks, North Dakota, and regional) news?

UND Athletic Department would be a good start, especially if it's easy enough.

Do you have numbers on total traffic, not posts, say last two years and this YTD, and if so, would you be comfortable in releasing them? 

Adding "Tickets Wanted / for sale" Forum was a good addition. Buyers now know right were to go instead of going through threads. Has had to improve the success of tickets sales on this sight also and therefore more tickets holders will use this sight to close the deal. Great suggestion by whoever that was?

KEEPING THE TICKETS IN THE FAMILY

If one does take a look at "Other Sports," the majority of it seems to be "UND News." 

If there's a topic of "NCAA News," one would surely think there must be a place to put "UND News."

......"Other Sports & News*"...boom....The bill will be in the mail.

* (Its already under the subheading of "UND Sports" so its obvious posts in this category should be about UND Sport News).

• 3 months later...