SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (3-3) vs Presentation 11/28 7 PM

SWSiouxMN

UND dropped a tough one in OT against a solid UVU team.  They look to finish the home stand against Presentation

Like with the Northland thread, I won't dive into too much here.  Just need to do three things

1) Crush the opponent

2) Stay Healthy

3) Work out some kinks before starting the 2nd half of non-conference play

UND 80-50

Sign a bunch of guys with no competing d1 offers...you will get burned...if McCauley has game they might be ok...bench is the big problem right now... Jones is a bit of a gimp...who if his 3 is not dropping should be on the bench..but the bench is full of d2 kids.

21 minutes ago, homer said:

Is it recruiting or style of play?  

There is certainly D 1 talent out there on the floor... they just were not on the same page last night, exhibited lots of selfish play (balling) and bad decision making ( i.e. opting for a contested three over passing inside to Avants for a higher percentage look.)  That and the free throws still aren't dropping, though, PC was equally as brutal from the line.  The score was not indicative of the disparity in the talent level on floor last night. UND looked disinterested for long stretches, while PC steadily kept pushing... similar to how UND plays against bigger programs.  Jones also played a lot of newer faces a lot last night, so there wasn't a whole lot of continuity on the floor. Geno rested for long stretches and Tez sat the whole way after the 10 min. mark of the first half.

The officials were brutal toward UND in the last 10 minutes and T'd up Coach Jones, which helped PC close the gap that much more. Jones was justified in his criticism of the official who seemed to take things way too personal, IMHO.

UND was up by as many as 22 at one point and for the most part held a lead between 15-20 until the last 6 minutes. 

I wouldn't read too much into this game, but I am concerned, as always, with our continued struggles from the line.

18 minutes ago, Teeder11 said:

I wouldn't read too much into this game, but I am concerned, as always, with our continued struggles from the line.

But it's so much more fun to fly off the handle!! Team seemed disinterested in the game and coach was trying multiple different rotations, which is what games like this are for. Seales played a whopping 3 minutes. Hopefully it is out of their system because the next 4 games are the real deal: @Creighton, NDSU, @SDSU, @Gonzaga.

Free throws should regress back to the mean at some point. Hopefully sooner than later.

20 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Sign a bunch of guys with no competing d1 offers..

Geno and Avants* didn't have other D-1 offers either. Nor did guys like Troy Huff, Jamal Webb or Lenny Antwi. 
*Avants did have an Air Force offer but service academies are a whole different animal.

20 minutes ago, hoops44 said:

Jones is a bit of a gimp...who if his 3 is not dropping should be on the bench..but the bench is full of d2 kids.

He's got a lot of rust to knock off but he's been one of the two best rebounders for UND so far. He's also learning a new system on the fly.

1 hour ago, Teeder11 said:

The officials were brutal toward UND in the last 10 minutes and T'd up Coach Jones, which helped PC close the gap that much more. Jones was justified in his criticism of the official who seemed to take things way too personal, IMHO.

I thought the Technical Foul was a very weak call. I've been impressed with many aspects of this team. Their field goal shooting percentage could use some work.

40 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Their tallest played was 6’5” tall. That is all. 

A pasty dude from Ellendale, N.D. LOL!  The best player on the floor last night played for PC and was barely 6-0 wearing shoes. Reminded me of Aaron Anderson.  They played engaged and tenacious on both ends of the court. Again, they played us like we play big P5 programs that swap 7-3 centers for 7-1 centers when they go to the bench.  You know those away games where you hear the obligatory gracious sound byte from the color guy that goes something like this "This Fighting Hawks squad...they've got no quit. They didn't just come here to stand around and watch.... they're a good well-coached program."  All the while, we're at home rolling our eyes upon hearing that.  PC played us that way, with more grit and more pride. The phrase: "it was their Superbowl" comes to mind.

UND has made plenty of P5 fan bases frustrated with their teams over the years, only to later watch their team go far in the Tourney... while we settle for .500 or slightly better and an away trip in the CIT.  PC played the role of us last night.

These are not excuses. I just don't know how much can be read into these games overall. 

• Upvote 3

Well I can read into one thing.

the starting 5, once clicking, will be very solid.

its the bench that sends up the red flag.  Someone needs to step into the 6th man role. Bad

Scoring against PC doesn’t do much for me.  Now do it against our next few opponents consistently then I’ll listen.

this team cannot take a long term injury to one of its starters.