SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. WMU

AZSIOUX

UND (8-4-4) lost and tied to Union while WMU (9-5-1) split vs Colgate in Kalamazoo. This is the 2nd to last series before the holiday break. UND closes out the first half at SCSU

WMU is 5th in nation in goals per game 3.65

UND leading scorer is a D wolanin, 13 points in 16 games. Wolanin also tied (jones, gersich) for team lead with 5 goals 

2 of top 4 in scoring for UND are d men.

Poolman is 4th in scoring with 10 points

UND has four players in double digit scoring through 16 games 

shaw, peski, rieger and olson only four without a goal. Simonson is only player without an assist

2 hours ago, AZSIOUX said:

UND (8-4-4) lost and tied to Union while WMU (9-5-1) split vs Colgate in Kalamazoo. This is the 2nd to last series before the holiday break. UND closes out the first half at SCSU

WMU is 5th in nation in goals per game 3.65

UND leading scorer is a D wolanin, 13 points in 16 games. Wolanin also tied (jones, gersich) for team lead with 5 goals 

2 of top 4 in scoring for UND are d men.

Poolman is 4th in scoring with 10 points

UND has four players in double digit scoring through 16 games 

shaw, peski, rieger and olson only four without a goal. Simonson is only player without an assist

Simonson a forwar and doesn't have even 1 assist in well over 1/3 of the season? Yoy.  And one o four top 3 goal scorers is a a d-man, Wolanin.  I'm no great hockey mind but could UND afford to move Wolanin up to forward to increase his scoring production or would that short us on the back end?  Just curious if something to consider in light of lack of production of many of our forwards.

2 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Agree although will be tough against a good W Mich team but hey, we're at home.  We keep splitting (not sweeping) these series' and we will slowly slide in the PW.

Well, we're already doing that...better strap the helmets on tight and put on the big boy pants because Western is big, physical, and can put the puck in the net.  Not a good combo for a team trying to put a solid 60 minutes together.  Let's go boys!  Let's see that DU intensity!

3 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

Kupsky didn't have to stop many grade-As all weekend due to Union's F and D packing it in so tight. I bet WMU would play a similar game in front of their own net. 

I agree with you, but Tom Miller took up the Schlossman Rule banner on Sunday, so I had to throw that last comment in.

We better figure out something or every team is going to do the same thing (some more than others).

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you, but Tom Miller took up the Schlossman Rule banner on Sunday, so I had to throw that last comment in.

We better figure out something or every team is going to do the same thing (some more than others).

Yep, I saw that article and thought the same thing. Bennett pointed out that their goalies are getting a lot more help than they were to start the season. I was optimistic with the way our D were able to get shots on net at such high percentages early on. But our forwards have not shown the tenacity to go after rebounds and bury chances with any consistency. I guess it makes sense with the makeup of the team. They'll be fine in March, but it can be tough to watch in the learning stages.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, SiouxTupa said:

Yep, I saw that article and thought the same thing. Bennett pointed out that their goalies are getting a lot more help than they were to start the season. I was optimistic with the way our D were able to get shots on net at such high percentages early on. But our forwards have not shown the tenacity to go after rebounds and bury chances with any consistency. I guess it makes sense with the makeup of the team. They'll be fine in March, but it can be tough to watch in the learning stages.

Yeah, especially since this team is not getting the leadership from its upperclassmen that it needs. That makes for some tough early-season games.

13 hours ago, GDPritch said:

Simonson a forwar and doesn't have even 1 assist in well over 1/3 of the season? Yoy.  And one o four top 3 goal scorers is a a d-man, Wolanin.  I'm no great hockey mind but could UND afford to move Wolanin up to forward to increase his scoring production or would that short us on the back end?  Just curious if something to consider in light of lack of production of many of our forwards.

I'm no great hockey mind by any means, never played the game at any level, but i would say no.  Wolanin is clearly our best defenseman, so that would leave a skill hole on the blue line.  While he's clearly gifted offensively as well, I think he'd be easier to shut down as a forward, where teams can match against him.  His skill set creates mismatch problems on the defensive end because it's like having 4 forwards on the ice, while not giving up a defensive liability.  Bottom line, the guy is a dude.  Leave him where he is, and hopefully these forwards figure it out sooner, rather than later.  They figure it out, this team will be dangerous come March, and hopefully April. 

5 hours ago, TrueSioux2000 said:

According to the latest USCHO poll, Clarkson is #3.  My "sister-in-law" attends Clarkson.  I can't have that no-name, upstate NY school outperform UND.  Just have to do better this weekend boys.  I hope they will! The Broncs can only stay hot for so long.

-432553682.gif

26 minutes ago, gsiouxo said:

Cam and Joel J. back for this weekend series .....sat behind bench Friday night vs Union and Berry was pissed after TV interview after game... be interesting who is sits this weekend..

Big step forward! Need Cam, big time.

Any word on Olson?

Berger made a good point on Twitter... does Reiger get a shot at wing this weekend? I was absolutely impressed with how he played.

12 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Big step forward! Need Cam, big time.

Any word on Olson?

Berger made a good point on Twitter... does Reiger get a shot at wing this weekend? I was absolutely impressed with how he played.

My vote is "yes". Totally agree........he looked very good up front.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Oxbow6 said:

Not having Bowen available hurts this team IMO.

Agree, he is a spark plug.  When someone goes out and works that hard shift in and shift out, the others better be working too, or it stands out all the more.