SiouxSports.com Forum

NORTH DAKOTA vs. Union - SATURDAY Gameday

AZSIOUX

Pointing out inconsistencies in officiating while recognizing our own team's faults don't need to be mutually exclusive. Union was very good at getting little grabs & subtle stick work to affect our guys just enough. I can't remember who it was but a guy had a slap shot right in the slot this weekend and literally had his stick stopped halfway down which made him fall over. The Union player did it so quickly and subtly that the refs didn't see but if the guy stops his stick halfway down on a slap shot and turns the player, that's a hold all day.  Kudos to Union for playing the game they needed to play.  Also, they were phenomenal at getting in lanes then clearing the pucks all weekend. 

45 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I'm sorry but until our PP and forwards decide to start being productive, the refs calling the game tighter is going to change !@#$.

I realize the PP is a point of contention here, but if we could score AT ALL on a consistent basis, no one here would care how crappy it is. It wasn’t good with our title team either. 

We’ve never been a team that lives and dies by the PP and we’re not going to become one anytime soon... 

2 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

I realize the PP is a point of contention here, but if we could score AT ALL on a consistent basis, no one here would care how crappy it is. It wasn’t good with our title team either. 

We’ve never been a team that lives and dies by the PP and we’re not going to become one anytime soon... 

Agree.........but UND could at least get set up on the PP on occasion to somewhat disguise the fact that it is completely inept!

Can we please find one forward that can make a move with the puck and generate some space without coughing it to the other team?  See Colton Poolman’s simple fake, walk in, snipe as an example of how simple it can be to execute. Sadly Poolman/Bast/Wolanin are the three most likely to pull it off these days. 

Everything has pretty well been said in this thread, so I won't rehash. 

On a side note; I never realized how much I'd miss the band.  Not having the students there is always an energy let-down, but the band not playing between plays was really odd for some reason.  Haven't we usually gotten a scaled down band, even during breaks?  The fan energy was completely absent, and I'm sure the boys felt it.  Union definitely did, as there was no awe factor we usually get when an east cost team comes in.  It was so quiet in that arena that I think I overhead a Mary Kay sales presentation going on in the media deck...  

1 hour ago, siouxforcefans said:

Everything has pretty well been said in this thread, so I won't rehash. 

On a side note; I never realized how much I'd miss the band.  Not having the students there is always an energy let-down, but the band not playing between plays was really odd for some reason.  Haven't we usually gotten a scaled down band, even during breaks?  The fan energy was completely absent, and I'm sure the boys felt it.  Union definitely did, as there was no awe factor we usually get when an east cost team comes in.  It was so quiet in that arena that I think I overhead a Mary Kay sales presentation going on in the media deck...  

Rob and Tammy try to find alumni who might be home for holidays but it doesn’t always work. 

Maybe I was at the wrong game but I thought the crowd was pretty solid for a thanksgiving series. The only section open was that corner one on the NW side of the rink in the upper bowl.  Makes me think we should take another student section away in the upper bowl because most of those sections were more full than they were against Miami. The crowd also tried to will the team back into the game with some chants despite them only scoring 3 goals on the weekend. Obviously having the band quiets it down some between plays but I thought it was a pretty good turnout <shrugs>

1 hour ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Maybe I was at the wrong game but I thought the crowd was pretty solid for a thanksgiving series. The only section open was that corner one on the NW side of the rink in the upper bowl.  Makes me think we should take another student section away in the upper bowl because most of those sections were more full than they were against Miami. The crowd also tried to will the team back into the game with some chants despite them only scoring 3 goals on the weekend. Obviously having the band quiets it down some between plays but I thought it was a pretty good turnout <shrugs>

I thought the crowd was good too. Remember though that tickets could be had at affordable prices. With the subway discount adult tickets were $15 each and youth tickets were $10.

9 minutes ago, Redneksioux said:

I thought the crowd was good too. Remember though that tickets could be had at affordable prices. With the subway discount adult tickets were $15 each and youth tickets were $10.

Yeah that's a fair point, helps when tickets are that cheap.  Good move on the REA to drop those prices to fill the arena.

Our lack of a “go-to” scorer is extremely evident, Gersich has been a tad disappointing so far, PoGo needs to remember he has a C on his sweater, shuffling these lines is showing in the on ice chemistry(or lack there of) … if Union keeps this up they will be in the NC$$ tournament … rant over….carry on

9 minutes ago, yelo09 said:

Our lack of a “go-to” scorer is extremely evident, Gersich has been a tad disappointing so far, PoGo needs to remember he has a C on his sweater, shuffling these lines is showing in the on ice chemistry(or lack there of) … if Union keeps this up they will be in the NC$$ tournament … rant over….carry on

Both of Pogo’s goals were scored when he was on a line with Jones and Janatuinen. He scored in 2 straight games. Then they switched that around. Then Bowen got injured and the line shuffling got worse. 

1 hour ago, yelo09 said:

Yeah I thought Union was extremely bothersome - not sure that means good but time will tell

How long has it been that we have not had a above average to great scorer or 2  ? & / or is this why the PP is so innimic ? 

4 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Yeah I thought Union was extremely bothersome - not sure that means good but time will tell

How long has it been that we have not had a above average to great scorer or 2  ? & / or is this why the PP is so innimic ? 

Our powerplay is not as terrible as people make it out to be. UND is not known for a lights out powerplay even when we've had good teams.

Currently, our PP is 26th in the country at 20%.  For comparison, the 2016 champs clipped along at 19.1%.

8 minutes ago, Fetch said:

Two different problems - we don't have any scorers up front which makes this a tough season - and although it factors in to the power play misery, we have not put together a decent power play even when we had a first line of absolute studs.  Not sure why, but it sure is frustrating.  

9 minutes ago, Fetch said:

You don’t remember the 2013-14 and 2014-15 Frozen Four teams?  Those were pretty offensively challenged.  

But we had great D and goaltending. 

Our D is OK, our goaltending is OK … and both should get better…however without a line that can consistently put goals in the net the next couple weeks will be tough … Western and Clown are not Union…I think the inconsistency with the lines is showing lots of missed passes and centering attempts, seems like the overall chemistry is a bit off … don’t get me wrong we have a solid team when we play 60 mins … these next two weeks there will be a lot of growing up taking place and could really lay the foundation for a great season