SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Roster

bincitysioux

Any likely losses known yet due to reasons other than graduation?

Was there ever any closure to the Taylor & Randolph situation?  Hopefully they are gone.

And what is the status of Torrey Hunt and Carter Wilson?

Hoping that Ketteringham is the guy at QB for the next two seasons.  I thought he was impressive at Sac St.

18 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

Fat fingers. Inside and out I think that we will have a tough team next year. Always liked Studs but he just didn't elevate his game this year. Lots of weapons on offense. I like the upside of the QB's next year, still loaded at RB, TE, WR, but the o-line is the biggest question mark.  The young defenders got a lot of experience this year and if we can stay healthy, have a chance to be dangerous 

Still think we need a JUCO or two, maybe a transfer at a few positions.  Unless some guys up their off season workouts.  I think the staff knows they need to improve the roster at some positions with the available scholarships.  

QB is the sexiest position in all of sports, so I'll be interested to see how this transition takes place over the off season heading into spring ball and fall camp.  

IMO it has to come down to Ketteringham vs. Zimmerman.  Boltmann may very well be the future, but I'd much rather see him take over as a sophomore or actually preferably as a junior. 

Defense is our biggest concern/liability heading into next year, but I suspect there will be a lot of drama about who takes over as starting QB.  

I think Ketteringham is a proven commodity.  Zimmerman looks to have a good arm and can make all the throws.  

What is interesting to me though is that Rudolph/Schwiegert seem to want a mobile QB that is smooth on his feet, ala Studsrud.  Both of these guys seem more like drop back, stay in the pocket type passers.

What's funny about that though is that it seemed like Rudolph called more designed run plays for Zimmerman while he was in than he did for Studsrud!  Studsrud was great at improvising when the pocket collapsed.  

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

QB is the sexiest position in all of sports, so I'll be interested to see how this transition takes place over the off season heading into spring ball and fall camp.  

IMO it has to come down to Ketteringham vs. Zimmerman.  Boltmann may very well be the future, but I'd much rather see him take over as a sophomore or actually preferably as a junior. 

Defense is our biggest concern/liability heading into next year, but I suspect there will be a lot of drama about who takes over as starting QB.  

I think Ketteringham is a proven commodity.  Zimmerman looks to have a good arm and can make all the throws.  

What is interesting to me though is that Rudolph/Schwiegert seem to want a mobile QB that is smooth on his feet, ala Studsrud.  Both of these guys seem more like drop back, stay in the pocket type passers.

What's funny about that though is that it seemed like Rudolph called more designed run plays for Zimmerman while he was in than he did for Studsrud!  Studsrud was great at improvising when the pocket collapsed.  

Completely agree about needing qbs to come in as upperclassmen instead of fr. 

I think our most important position is O-line. JUCO drop down or two to solidify the line would be huge or a great off season is really important. We have three backs that all provide a different dimension to give a defense fits. If we can control the clock by keeping the other teams offense off the field and let the QB settle in and pick apart a defense that's stacking the box to stop those three guys, we could be tough to beat. Injuries aside, I think we have a dangerous team!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Parkers Pros said:

I think our most important position is O-line. JUCO drop down or two to solidify the line would be huge or a great off season is really important. We have three backs that all provide a different dimension to give a defense fits. If we can control the clock by keeping the other teams offense off the field and let the QB settle in and pick apart a defense that's stacking the box to stop those three guys, we could be tough to beat. Injuries aside, I think we have a dangerous team!

I agree 100%.

In football, it always comes down to the guys in the trenches.  We had injuries and adversity there this season and guys got alot of minutes in those positions that weren't supposed to.  

I'm trying to look at the silver lining.  A young  O-line in 2017 makes for a more experienced one in 2018...............

31 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

geaux_sioux:

Here as an off-season assignment for you.

I think you are probably the best FB mind on this site.  I'd like your evaluation of the following players:

Jade Lawrence

Tanner Palmborg

Austin Cieslak

Ty Shannon

Hunter Pinke

Tyus Carter

Patrick Rooney

Not sure about the underlined part...

Of all the players listed that played the previous season the only player that made a marked improvement was Palmborg. He got bigger and kept his speed. He was really aggressive all season and made some really nice plays. I love his energy. His closing speed was impressive this year. If he continues to progress I think he could be a first team all-conference type of player. Pretty impressive for a walk-on safety. 

Jade didn't seem to make the same number of big plays as last season. He put on a some needed weight last winter which was nice to see but he's still smallish at OLB. I thought he would have a really nice year and was actually pretty disappointed with his production and play this year. I figured his production would make a huge leap this year but it didn't. Tough to know if the cause was the injury situation or if he is just better as a second string guy where he can come in with fresh legs and make splash plays. He needs to get bigger and stronger to be able to hold up next year and also maintain his speed or preferably get faster.

Cieslak is the prototype for what our DE should be. He's huge. He's also very nimble and at times destroys plays. His conditioning appeared to be an issue this year. He was carrying some bad weight. That's on him. He needs to rededicate himself this winter and drop around 10 lbs. Probably lose 10-20 lbs of fat and gain 5-10 lbs of muscle. His potential is enormous when he's healthy. 

Shannon looked pretty decent at times. I know a poster had commented on his lack of emotion but I wouldn't get too wrapped up in that. Look at Weinike from SDSU, he doesn't react to anything and usually has pretty mopy body language. That's just how he operates.  If it is paired with great production then it's fine.  Tough to judge him when he should have been lifting weights with the fr all season instead of playing. He wasn't physically ready. I'll reserve further judgment on him until after he's been here for a year. He should put on 20 lbs this offseason. 

Tough to judge Pinke off of 3 catches and some blocking duty. He's a big boy. I would like to see all of the TEs work on their running this offseason and come in as fast as possible for next year so that when they get the ball they can make some things happen. Perhaps that will entice Rudy to give them the rock some more. He did a nice job on his TD against Davis. Again, really tough to judge him as a player with such a limited sample size. 

Not sure what happened to Carter. He looked really good at the beginning of last year with the exception of that play against USD where I'm pretty sure he got that season-ending shoulder injury while giving up that TD. I don't know if it's a lack of confidence or what but he doesn't have the same fire he had as a true fr or as a soph. He was pretty brutal for much of this year. Literally registered not a single pass deflection.  Not sure what the deal is with him. I hope he can turn it around and have a productive senior season. 

Rooney seems to be a liability. Can't snap well. Doesn't block well. Doesn't move all that well. I'm not an OL expert at all but he seemed to stand out often this year for the wrong reasons. Maybe he just needs to get stronger? Maybe he just isn't good enough? We'll find out because there are plenty of promising young OL that will take his place. 

Awesome, thanks for the insight. 

I agree on Palmborg and Lawrence.  Palmborg was solid all year.  I feel like Lawrence is a steady and reliable player, but not an every snap guy.  He was probably asked to do too much this year.  Definitely an asset though.

I asked about Cieslak because it honestly seems to me like he'd be better suited to nose tackle than some of the other guys we've had out there other than Tank.  Why is one DE 255 lbs and another is 305?

Pinke is intriguing to me at tight end.  Fiedler can't block, and Cloyd can't catch.  Small sample, yes, but looked like Pinke can do both.  The kid is put together for a freshman too.

6 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Awesome, thanks for the insight. 

6 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

Pinke is intriguing to me at tight end.  Fiedler can't block, and Cloyd can't catch.  Small sample, yes, but looked like Pinke can do both.  The kid is put together for a freshman too.

Apparently pancakes don’t count.  Maybe you need cataract surgery.

6 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

Ahh man, this was such a positive thread.  We almost made it 1 page before a debbie downer showed up.  Seriously, I'm sick of all the complaining.  Go back to the Fire Rudolph thread or coaching regime change thread if you want to rant.  And no, I'm not in the "its ok to be medicore" crowd, but I don't need to read negative comment after negative comment all the time, because guess what, that won't change who our OC is.  Its fun to talk about the players coming back, who could have a breakout year, who will provide depth, etc.  It's ok to be positive even after a 3-8 season.  It really is.  

Amen.  Thank you.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MadScout03 said:

Ahh man, this was such a positive thread.  We almost made it 1 page before a debbie downer showed up.  Seriously, I'm sick of all the complaining.  Go back to the Fire Rudolph thread or coaching regime change thread if you want to rant.  And no, I'm not in the "its ok to be medicore" crowd, but I don't need to read negative comment after negative comment all the time, because guess what, that won't change who our OC is.  Its fun to talk about the players coming back, who could have a breakout year, who will provide depth, etc.  It's ok to be positive even after a 3-8 season.  It really is.  

Watch your comments, the hall monitor is here.

5 hours ago, MadScout03 said:

Thank you. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

RE: Cieslak

When he's fully engaged (mind and body) he is a one-man defense: Put 10 blockers on him and he'll still get to the ball. 

But at times he's invisible. I'm not sure if it's conditioning, concentration, or both. 

He ruined one whole possession for EWU. He just needs to be more consistent, can’t be invisible as much as he is at times