SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

24 minutes ago, green_sioux said:

So you don't have a point.

My point is your trying to boost a staff based on an 8-3 season that had 3 wins over D2 or lower teams.  

And than another poster, tries to justify the season not by wins, but a quality loss.  

Be happy with the year you guys had but don’t try and make the staff more than what it was.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

People were knit picking the schedule and neglecting the two fbs games. Our schedule sucked because of the Sioux nickname and because of an incredibly low buyout for UCA.

Okay ...

youre missing the point. 

The 2011 squad was nothing special.

It only got people excited for the 2012 season (UND's first Big Sky Conference season), which was one of several disappointing seasons under Mussman's watch. 

31 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Okay ...

youre missing the point. 

The 2011 squad was nothing special.

It only got people excited for the 2012 season (UND's first Big Sky Conference season), which was one of several disappointing seasons under Mussman's watch. 

2011 squad had one of the best run defenses I've ever seen. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bincitysioux said:

On December 23rd, 2013 when Schwiegert was announced as head coach, did you at that point expect that UND would run the table in the Big Sky Conference and earn a playoff seed just three short seasons later?

I sure didn't.  He's moved things along faster than I expected.  I maintain this season was an anomaly and we will see more improvement next season................

I expected him to recognize a crap offensive scheme when it is under his nose and I expected him to have a much better culture.  

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

On December 23rd, 2013 when Schwiegert was announced as head coach, did you at that point expect that UND would run the table in the Big Sky Conference and earn a playoff seed just three short seasons later?

I sure didn't.  He's moved things along faster than I expected.  I maintain this season was an anomaly and we will see more improvement next season................

Yes, I expected it. It's well established that good college football coaches can change the culture and wins in two to three seasons. Poor coaches take far longer and/or never accomplish it.

The fact you expected it to take longer is worrisome - it exhibits the lack of expectations for UND football. People are satisfied with .500 seasons (as long as excuses or specifiers are attached) which is bull$%!# in my opinion. 

11 hours ago, bincitysioux said:

I didn't expect it either after the mess Muss left yet the schedule dictated an opportunity in 2016 without having to play EWU or Montana which Bubba is winless against (0-5). I'm hopeful this season is an anomaly but I'm also with Irish that this offensive scheme doesn't lend itself to repeatable success week in and week out.

• Upvote 3

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 9:38 PM, SlowHand said:

I have said this a few times, but will say it again.  Coaching is not the issue, player skills are not the issue, conditioning is not the issue, CULTURE is the issue.   A few toxic elements were introduced and poisoned the team.  Its not that hard to repair.

I think you are right on...culture FIRST and the rest will follow... I can about imagine the conversations...

August

Bubba: I am a little worried about some issues with some players.

AD:  Let me know

September

Bubba:  These issues are really affecting the team and our ability to play. I would like this dealt with. Could we meet.  (probably in an email or two to CYA)

AD:  no response probably x2

end of September, Bubba's door open, 5 minutes before a team meeting, AD walks by, "What did you want to talk about?"

October

Bubba seriously considers going over the hear of AD because he realizes this is NOT so simple...legal issues, $$$ scholarship issues, media issues, parent issues, donors, recruiting, et al

AD says he knows nothing, no record of issues  he announces retirement (the school did not if I have that right)

November

Bubba has no one above him to help with these complicated issues...he consistently take the high road publicly....thank you Bubba

He goes up the food chain....answer is.....let the new AD handle this....just tread water until then

Sorry guys, I have dealt with VERY sensitive issues professionally....I guarantee you that most hospitals do not have policies for impaired workers....it is almost considered harassment if you ask an employee for a UDS (urine drug screen). You have to probably have TWO people seeing someone doing a line of coke because God help the one employee that sees it and tries to do something (also includes falsifying or changing a medical record). And there is NOT a policy to follow when a nurse comes to you and tells you a co-worker is planning to go home and hang herself on a Saturday night at 9 pm.  These issues  are VERY complicated and require many hours of guidance and protocol from more than a head coach. Bubba did not have any help from what I see. I do not mean to pick on the AD but, that is just the way management is in today's society. I retired at 62; sure could see why he is retiring at 67.

So a good housecleaning of players who are turning the culture into a not so positive image and emphasize positive leadership by coaches.  Not sure if I could comment in anyone being fired....

I can not even think how tough it is being a head coach and having to stomach all of this....in todays' society is it keep your mouth shut, do not report anything, and make sure everyone feels good about the job he/she does even if it is sub-standard. Bubba coached some of the players from the D2 Championship team, I wonder what the comparison would be to today's culture on the team....

THANKS BUBBA FOR STICKING THIS OUT AND GOOD LUCK IN 2018

"Tackled by a host of Fighting Sioux players."  Go Sioux!

• Like 1

Recruiting needs to improve. Maybe the 2017 UND team performed appropriately based on the attrition and injuries, but the program has underperformed based on the depth and recruiting situation. Too many freshmen playing and not enough sophomores and juniors.

Who wins the games? The players. 

Who recruits the players? The coaches.

The coaches need to get their sh*t together and get this roster right. It was not put together the way it should've been for 2017 and I'm sticking to that. I expect UND to be over .500 every season; anyone justifying less is a problem within the fan base. The injuries were horrible, but it never ever should've dropped UND to a pathetic 3 wins. 

If this staff doesn't figure out how to recruit and next season goes poorly also, people need to be shown the door. 

30 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Recruiting needs to improve. Maybe the 2017 UND team performed appropriately based on the attrition and injuries, but the program has underperformed based on the depth and recruiting situation. Too many freshmen playing and not enough sophomores and juniors.

Who wins the games? The players. 

Who recruits the players? The coaches.

The coaches need to get their sh*t together and get this roster right. It was not put together the way it should've been for 2017 and I'm sticking to that. I expect UND to be over .500 every season; anyone justifying less is a problem within the fan base. The injuries were horrible, but it never ever should've dropped UND to a pathetic 3 wins. 

If this staff doesn't figure out how to recruit and next season goes poorly also, people need to be shown the door. 

I still have that $100 if you can find that donut.

9 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I sure wish you could find a way to say:

• that you think that Bubba and his staff are below par and you expect more
  • that those of us who don't agree with you are accepting mediocrity and .500 seasons. 
  • that losing 15 starters shouldn't have a big impact on the season.

And if you could state and restate that over and over and over again would be great too.

And over and over and over and over.  oh and over and over and over.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I sure wish you could find a way to say:

• that you think that Bubba and his staff are below par and you expect more
  • that those of us who don't agree with you are accepting mediocrity and .500 seasons. 
  • that losing 15 starters shouldn't have a big impact on the season.

And if you could state and restate that over and over and over again would be great too.

No doubt.....we already know how he feels the first 50 times he said it, it's like he feels if he says the same thing with different wording 10 times a week it will somehow help things.  It's seriously getting old.  Oh well, I guess as long as he limits it to this thread I guess that is fine.  I think I am done reading this thread for a while, the dead horse has been beaten enough for a while  IMO.  I've moved on to next year.  Although I guess some people somewhat fuel his fire because they make a comment on here, then he has to make another post to repeat what he has already said a billion times.   Maybe he is one of those who constantly posts political crap on FB thinking he is actually going to change other peoples minds.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

I think you are right on...culture FIRST and the rest will follow... I can about imagine the conversations...

August
Bubba: I am a little worried about some issues with some players.
AD:  Let me know

September
Bubba:  These issues are really affecting the team and our ability to play. I would like this dealt with. Could we meet.  (probably in an email or two to CYA)
AD:  no response probably x2

end of September, Bubba's door open, 5 minutes before a team meeting, AD walks by, "What did you want to talk about?"

October
Bubba seriously considers going over the hear of AD because he realizes this is NOT so simple...legal issues, $$$ scholarship issues, media issues, parent issues, donors, recruiting, et al
AD says he knows nothing, no record of issues  he announces retirement (the school did not if I have that right)

November
Bubba has no one above him to help with these complicated issues...he consistently take the high road publicly....thank you Bubba
He goes up the food chain....answer is.....let the new AD handle this....just tread water until then

This is a pretty serious accusation and for the record, far from anything I've heard. If Bubba had serious concerns about players on the team, he doesn't need to go to the AD to handle them. I also don't see a scenario where they are "treading water" for another 2 months until a new AD is hired. He's responsible for his locker room. 

4 minutes ago, shep said:

Bama lost yesterday and may be out of the football playoff (though it should be 8 not 4 teams) and part of their lack of dominance on D this year is that 4 of their top LB's have been injured.

Just saying....injuries suck

They got back to one they lost in the FSU game for the game last night.