SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

On 12/1/2017 at 12:03 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

I agree.

UND needs to do very well at recruiting in North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin in order to be a championship level program. They just won't be able to recruit enough annual talent completely avoiding that.

*Unfortunately, after the Big 10 schools, NDSU is almost always next in line for those local kids. UND wins 1/10 (10%) of those battles, if that*

Bubba and his staff need to stop hoping for local miracles (recruiting kids with no DI offers) and start winning over talent that is highly touted. Of course, they may also need *some* talent out of the area due to NDSU's overwhelming presence, but lately they haven't shown the ability to really even do that. 

The 2017 season really brought forward the recruiting concerns for me. The backups (mostly freshmen) that played may not be instant all-americans or even all-conference types, but they should at least show flashes (AT THE VERY LEAST). Many did not even show that. 

Bubba and his staff need some recruiting hits (success stories) for 2018 or else UND needs a new staff if not simply for just more competent recruiting. 

UND can up their odds by offering local athletes scholarships. I think NDSU try’s getting local talent for free for a year or so. 

On 12/1/2017 at 12:03 PM, UND-FB-FAN said:

The 2017 season really brought forward the recruiting concerns for me. The backups (mostly freshmen) that played may not be instant all-americans or even all-conference types, but they should at least show flashes (AT THE VERY LEAST). Many did not even show that. 

Bubba and his staff need some recruiting hits (success stories) for 2018 or else UND needs a new staff if not simply for just more competent recruiting. 

Only 3 (Adeoti, Blubaugh, Shannon) of the 2017 HS recruits played this year (unless I'm missing someone), and none of them were necessarily regarded as the best recruits of their class.  So I would say that this past season is no indicator of how that class stacks up.  At the time of signing, I feel like many people thought that 2017 was Bubba's best recruiting class thus far.  And as far as the 2016 class, I think you could argue both sides good/bad, but to say that many of them did not even show flashes doesn't seem like an accurate assessment to me.  2015 I would say had a lot more misses, and 2014, well looks bad.  So to me our classes have been getting better and better.  Let's hope it shows in 2018.

• Upvote 2

On 12/1/2017 at 10:14 AM, Oxbow6 said:

IMO no playoffs in 2018 or 2019 Bubba goes..........or another sub .500 record in either year he goes and UND needs to start fresh heading into the MVC.

What if UND makes the playoffs next year and doesn't make it past round 2 but gets beat like a drum by NDSU like last time and doesn't make the playoffs in 2019?  Bubba goes or stays?

We've made the playoffs and went nowhere.  To show improvement we need to step up and win next time.   IMO, no playoff win in '18 Bubba can start packing.   He's had plenty of time to get at least one foot into the Promised Land.

I am only on page 14 trying to catch up on this thread. I obviously don't have the answers, but we have a long way to go before next season and the negativity is getting already getting old. Nobody here is happy about last season yet some one this board need to complain about this every other day. how about instead of blasting the team offer an idea or solution...you know, something to get discussion going. 

For example, i am not the biggest fan of transfers but we could use a couple at LB, safety, and could always uses on a OL. If those transfers hit they could have a big impact. The hole at lb was the biggest issue IMHO because it seemed we rarely had 2nd and 9....it was more like 2nd and 6, which is tough to get off the field when that becomes the norm.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, UNDColorado said:

I am only on page 14 trying to catch up on this thread. I obviously don't have the answers, but we have a long way to go before next season and the negativity is getting already getting old. Nobody here is happy about last season yet some one this board need to complain about this every other day. how about instead of blasting the team offer an idea or solution...you know, something to get discussion going. 

For example, i am not the biggest fan of transfers but we could use a couple at LB, safety, and could always uses on a OL. If those transfers hit they could have a big impact. The hole at lb was the biggest issue IMHO because it seemed we rarely had 2nd and 9....it was more like 2nd and 6, which is tough to get off the field when that becomes the norm.

The defense was definitely the weakest link. It was concerning, though, how the offense couldn't pick up the slack; that unit did not suffer many injuries (at least relative to the defense). Furthermore, the weakest areas of the defense in 2017, corner and inside linebacker, were supposedly coached by the two "leaders" of the program, Schmidt and Bubba, respectively. That is troubling. 

The defense gave up over twice as many rushing yards in 2017 (187.9 ypg) compared to 2016 (91.3 ypg). That independently determined the direction of the 2017 season: downhill (as in bad). UND even gave up far less rushing yards in 2014, Bubba's first season as UND head coach (with Mussman's "train wreck" players). 

I know, injuries. Let's hope the defense gets back to its 2014-2016 form in 2018; that will make a huge difference. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The defense was definitely the weakest link. It was concerning, though, how the offense couldn't pick up the slack; that unit did not suffer many injuries (at least relative to the defense). Furthermore, the weakest areas of the defense in 2017, corner and inside linebacker, were supposedly coached by the two "leaders" of the program, Schmidt and Bubba, respectively. That is troubling. 

The defense gave up over twice as many rushing yards in 2017 (187.9 ypg) compared to 2016 (91.3 ypg). That independently determined the direction of the 2017 season: downhill (as in bad). UND even gave up far less rushing yards in 2014, Bubba's first season as UND head coach (with Mussman's "train wreck" players). 

I know, injuries. Let's hope the defense gets back to its 2014-2016 form in 2018; that will make a huge difference. 

I definitely agree. Going into this season I actually thought the offense would take a step forward, but they actually took a step back. Some help at OL will be huge and I hope the experience the younger guys received will be helpful. I think Ketteringham has what it takes as long as we can protect him and give him some time. Of course it would be helpful if we can get the running game going consistently again. We had far too many 0-2 yard runs this season. 

One of my big worries is at the offensive line. There has been little to no improvement over the past two years really. Our best linemen 3 years ago were a grad transfer and a physical freak (in a good way). I have to think that the o-line coach is very much on the hot seat this season since we all know there are no coaching staff changes taking place before it begins. If the offensive line is not appreciably better, then a new o-line coach is very much necessary. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

From his twitter bio:

#CFBRecruiting#NFLCombinePrep Coach•Proud Buff & 6yr #NFL OL/DL"

any chance we are looking at this guy for OL Coach or at least as an addition to the staff??

He has posts with other coaches as well. Basically an advertisement for his business showing that he has connections. 

• Upvote 2

On 12/4/2017 at 4:16 PM, UNDColorado said:

I definitely agree. Going into this season I actually thought the offense would take a step forward, but they actually took a step back. Some help at OL will be huge and I hope the experience the younger guys received will be helpful. I think Ketteringham has what it takes as long as we can protect him and give him some time. Of course it would be helpful if we can get the running game going consistently again. We had far too many 0-2 yard runs this season. 

Both the defense and the offense need to improve. Most concerning, the defense took the greatest step backwards from 2016 to 2017 (rushing yards allowed per game: 91.3 ypg in 2016; 187.9 ypg in 2017). Considering the head coach's background and/or forte, the defense should never regress like that. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Both the defense and the offense need to improve. Most concerning, the defense took the greatest step backwards from 2016 to 2017 (rushing yards allowed per game: 91.3 ypg in 2016; 187.9 ypg in 2017). Considering the head coach's background and/or forte, the defense should never regress like that. 

Donuts

On 12/5/2017 at 4:09 PM, SkoHawks said:

From his twitter bio:

#CFBRecruiting#NFLCombinePrep Coach•Proud Buff & 6yr #NFL OL/DL"

any chance we are looking at this guy for OL Coach or at least as an addition to the staff??

I live in the Denver area and Matt is a great guy. He has a great business because he does the right things to help get high school kids ready for college ball. Great passion to help kids get better. And get scholarships!

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

IMO this was largely due to some poor recruiting, attrition and injuries at the Ilb position.  Lost O'Brien, Poole, Rodgers and Larson and then even Disterhaupt for a few games and did not get Hunt back til half the season was over.  Those 5 would have made a world of difference in that category.   Hard to beat anyone when you cant stop the run right at you.  The rest of the ILB's on roster were not ready or will never be ready.

1 hour ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

IMO this was largely due to some poor recruiting, attrition and injuries at the Ilb position.  Lost O'Brien, Poole, Rodgers and Larson and then even Disterhaupt for a few games and did not get Hunt back til half the season was over.  Those 5 would have made a world of difference in that category.   Hard to beat anyone when you cant stop the run right at you.  The rest of the ILB's on roster were not ready or will never be ready.

O'Brien and Poole weren't even on the roster by the start of 2017 and Larson was a true freshman. Man, you have to give your team a better chance than that - no room for error at all and it showed.

Pretty sure Bubba and Schmidt are out searching for at least a couple inside linebackers that can improve the run defense and depth. The inside linebacker position was horrid in 2017.

On 12/7/2017 at 7:12 PM, SWSiouxMN said:

Honestly, if they were adding to this staff, it better be a QB coach.  Or a WR coach and move Danny back to QB. 

New QB coach and offensive coordinator would't hurt. Bubba's teams have never lit up the scoreboard offensively (4 year sample size), so changing something up there would be reasonable. His defenses have been solid in the past so I guess wait and see, but in 2017 it was horrible. 

All in all, UND needs better players. 

Either new coaches/recruiting tactics or new University attractions for recruits - ya'll pick which one. The major new attraction to consider would be HPC phase II. If you want to stick with Bubba and have his staff succeed at UND, we will need to see the High Performance Center completed so that UND has locker rooms, coaching offices, meeting rooms, etc. that are up to contemporary standards.

NDSU's Fargodome facilities blow Memorial Stadium's out of the water (cold hard truth, sorry).

Watch if you dare:

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

New QB coach and offensive coordinator would't hurt. Bubba's teams have never lit up the scoreboard offensively (4 year sample size), so changing something up there would be reasonable. His defenses have been solid in the past so I guess wait and see, but in 2017 it was horrible. 

All in all, UND needs better players. 

Either new coaches/recruiting tactics or new University attractions for recruits - ya'll pick which one. The major new attraction to consider would be HPC phase II. If you want to stick with Bubba and have his staff succeed at UND, we will need to see the High Performance Center completed so that UND has locker rooms, coaching offices, meeting rooms, etc. that are up to contemporary standards.

NDSU's Fargodome facilities blow Memorial Stadium's out of the water (cold hard truth, sorry).

Watch if you dare:

Their new locker room isn’t very impressive for being brand new.

24 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Their new locker room isn’t very impressive for being brand new.

Pretty average, huh?

I'm curious what your relative thoughts would be on UND's Memorial Stadium and Alerus Center locker rooms then ... 

No bias, right? 

When recruiting kids that are receiving competitive regional offers from NDSU and other regional schools (Montana, Montana State, South Dakota State, etc.), this all is factored in. 

14 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Pretty average, huh?

I'm curious what your relative thoughts would be on UND's Memorial Stadium and Alerus Center locker rooms then ... 

No bias, right? 

When recruiting kids that are receiving competitive regional offers from NDSU and other regional schools (Montana, Montana State, South Dakota State, etc.), this all is factored in. 

I was expecting more out of them for a new locker room that was hyped up. Not sure where I said average either. Your salt intake is getting dangerously high.

• Upvote 3