SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

3 minutes ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

The style of football Bubba wants to play, the most important positions are OL and ILB.  Last year was not good at either position.  Run and stop the run.

Lots and lots of work to do at those positions before UND will be competitive in the MVC trying to play that style of FB. You have a little more slack at those positions in the BSC due to weaker defenses and the more pass happy offenses.

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Doesn't mean we can count on it though. I see too many people talking about how NDSU won't be this good forever. Instead, we should try and knock them off the top of the mountain by building an even better program. It's not impossible.

I totally agree with you - UND can't sit around and hope that NDSU won't be good forever.  That's like Wake Forest and Georgia Tech basketball brass sitting around thinking that the jig is about to be up on hoops in North Carolina and Duke.  :lol:

1 hour ago, MafiaMan said:

You know, fs4l, you're very right on this.  Hardly anyone under the age of about 30 would remember a time when Alabama football was a job no one wanted.  Mike DuBose was fired in 2000 after covering up an affair with his secretary.  Dennis Franchione had a less-than-stellar record there following him.  Mike Price was hired and then canned before ever coaching a game in 2003 (after the "Roll Tide" scandal with a stripper) and Mike Schula was not the second coming of his dad, Don.  The program was a mess.  So, yea, anything's possible...

BTW......you had fs4l and the green arrow up vote at "stripper"!

59 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Lots and lots of work to do at those positions before UND will be competitive in the MVC trying to play that style of FB. You have a little more slack at those positions in the BSC due to weaker defenses and the more pass happy offenses.

You would get no argument for me that the overall talent level in the MVFC is better than in the BSC.

However, the idea that the BSC is the more pass happy conference isn't true: 

BSC teams threw the ball 55.5% of the time this year. MVFC teams threw it 55.4% of the time.

BSC teams averaged 30.0 points per game. MVFC teams averaged 30.1 ppg.

BSC teams averaged 7.64 yards per pass attempt. MVFC teams averaged 7.75 yards per pass attempt.

Only 4 of the 13 BSC teams averaged more than 6 yards per play. 5 of the 10 MVFC teams averaged more than 6 yards per play.

The only other major difference is that BSC teams average about 6 more plays per game than MVFC teams, which means the BSC is actually the less efficient league from an offensive standpoint.

It is a misconception that the BSC is arena ball compared to the MVFC.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Doesn't we can count on it though. I see too many people talking about how NDSU won't be this good forever. Instead, we should try and knock them off the top of the mountain by building an even better program. It's not impossible.

^^^^^^^^^ This.

Programs dont get better waiting for other to fail so they can move up.

• Upvote 1

I'd be much more tolerant and understanding about this train-wreck of a season and Bubba if Bubba hadn't sat for 4 years and watched the worst O coordinator in all of D1 football ply his trade.   And it is not because of the run first philosophy.  Like I said before, the beauty of a run first offense is that if the D overcommits with 8 or 9 in the box you should have a whole package of plays set to exploit their over-playing.  Bubba's decision to keep Rudolph is frustrating and means in my mind that the inability to use our 3 stud running backs effectively, the lack of tight end involvement, no screen passes  and terrible play calling is now on him.  I would be much more forgiving of 3-8 if the offense actually tried to expand and find a way to open things up.  What we saw this year was pure coaching malpractice on the offensive side.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND and USD started the DI transition the same time. They were both in the Great West. They both became playoff eligible the same time. They both moved to their current conferences at the same time (MVFC -SD, BSC - UND).

As long as you are all about "facts"..................

Since moving to Division I.................

North Dakota has an overall record of 55-56, has won two conference titles, and appeared in the post season once.

South Dakota is 46-66, has zero conference titles, and appeared in the post season once.

UND currently isn't where I want them to be, but USD is certainly not light years ahead as you suggest.  USD had a nice year.  That's what they do every 10 seasons or so......................

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

It'll be good for us. Instead of pretending we're good all regular season and then getting exposed in the playoffs we'll know when we're actually good.

Part of my agreeing with Oxbow6 was in regard to this coaching regime being successful in the MVFC.  With the undying allegiance to Rudolph, I don't see it happening.

I would rather have a Montana type situation, where a packed stadium of rabid fans know they have an excellent chance of making the playoffs every year.  And as we all know once you're in, anything can happen.   I'd rather have a fired up fan base pouring money towards football that sometimes thinks we're better than we are.

I fear a few .500 seasons in the MVFC will lead to football apathy in Grand Forks.    

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Siouxphan27 said:

Part of my agreeing with Oxbow6 was in regard to this coaching regime being successful in the MVFC.  With the undying allegiance to Rudolph, I don't see it happening.

I would rather have a Montana type situation, where a packed stadium of rabid fans know they have an excellent chance of making the playoffs every year.  And as we all know once you're in, anything can happen.   I'd rather have a fired up fan base pouring money towards football that sometimes thinks we're better than we are.

I fear a few .500 seasons in the MVFC will lead to football apathy in Grand Forks.    

.500 ain’t gonna happen. Maybe at first or maybe every so often. But that will not be the norm.

I honestly think that what und needs to do in the near future, is to try to get just outside the ndsu, SDSU, uni, and usd recruiting foootprint. Say the Illinois, Missouri, Colorado areas.  Looking at the wiki list of offers, one glaring problem is a LOT of kids without any other fcs offers.  I know a lot of people on here are going to say but but but Santiago, he is a great player but you can’t build a team hoping to have players that everyone else missed on, odds are stacked against that type of recruiting.  I honestly feel if und doesn’t have a .500 or better season in their first year in mvfc play it is going to be extremely tough recruiting the uni, ndsu, SDSU hotbed for years to come.

28 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

.500 ain’t gonna happen. Maybe at first or maybe every so often. But that will not be the norm.

Will have to wait and see but what I do know is UND will be playing all 3 Dakota schools every year starting in 2020. That's a tough draw year in and year out. Playing NDSU in 2019 will be a decent barometer as to where this program is as it heads into the MVC the following season.

3 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Will have to wait and see but what I do know is UND will be playing all 3 Dakota schools every year starting in 2020. That's a tough draw year in and year out.

In time we should be the tough game on their schedules. If that’s with Bubba at the helm that’s great. If not, too bad.

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

In time we should be the tough game on their schedules. If that’s with Bubba at the helm that’s great. If not, too bad.

How? The class that you are bringing in this year is going to have an awful lot of players starting or playing serious backup roles in 2019 and 2020.  If you are comfortable with these players compared to what the other 3 dakota schools and uni are bringing in then I have to question your football knowledge a little bit.  Case in point, a few posts up, your moderator was excited to post a tweet about your backup quarterbacks little brother coming for a visit.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

More wishful thinking. At this point there's no reason to think UND will do better in the MVFC than it has in the GW and BSC. Until it proves otherwise, UND is a .500 team that occasionally does better. 

2 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

How? The class that you are bringing in this year is going to have an awful lot of players starting or playing serious backup roles in 2019 and 2020.  If you are comfortable with these players compared to what the other 3 dakota schools and uni are bringing in then I have to question your football knowledge a little bit.  Case in point, a few posts up, your moderator was excited to post a tweet about your backup quarterbacks little brother coming for a visit.

Not sure what you’re getting at with your last sentence.