SiouxSports.com Forum

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

fightingsioux4life

14 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

The pessimist in me thinks that LAST YEAR might have been the fluke.  You know, when everything that could fall into place and go RIGHT did.  

Two years prior to this UND was 7-4 and a boarderline playoff team followed by a fluke year of 8-3.  

• Upvote 1

This is the first season since Bubba has been here that he has not moved the program in the right direction.  Until proven otherwise I'm going to assume Bubba is the right man for the job.  Bring back the either coach staff was Bubba's decision and if the Offence and Special Teams fail again next year that is on him. As will as if we are not in the playoffs again next year.  If we have another season next year like this year is is time to look for a replacement.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, homer said:

Two years prior to this UND was 7-4 and a boarderline playoff team followed by a fluke year of 8-3.  

"Borderline" or almost doesn't cut it. UND wasn't in the playoffs in 2015 and they choked (at home) under the pressure in the 2016 playoffs. I am concerned with the leadership. We all recently saw what happened in 2017.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

"Borderline" or almost doesn't cut it. UND wasn't in the playoffs in 2015 and they choked (at home) under the pressure in the 2016 playoffs. I am concerned with the leadership. We all recently saw what happened in 2017.

Even Bison fans thought we belonged in the playoffs in 2015. The committee screwed us over that year. That's a fact.

And being a "borderline" playoff team in 2015 was just two years removed from Mussman's final season trainwreck (3-8). So I think that is one heck of a turnaround.

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

Bottom line is the FB program is a complete dumpster fire right now. This reclamation project that is UND FB is all on Bubba from here on out.

As is evident by the multiple apologists that chime in here.

I agree, especially when I hear "we will be on top as the pendulum swings back"....   that is a giant load of bunk, we may never get the success level of NDSU (5 titles in a row is a BIG mountain)....   but we may become competitive.    I think Bubba has an uphill battle.  Does anyone think there is a football player with 500 miles that would chose UND over NDSU.  Is perhaps the FCS talent pool not deep enough to give us the players to be competitive?  if you were a prospect where would you hope to play of the 4 Dakota programs?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

So 7-4 is closer to 3-8 than it is to 8-3?  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, 90siouxfan said:

I agree, especially when I hear "we will be on top as the pendulum swings back"....   that is a giant load of bunk, we may never get the success level of NDSU (5 titles in a row is a BIG mountain)....   but we may become competitive.    I think Bubba has an uphill battle.  Does anyone think there is a football player with 500 miles that would chose UND over NDSU.  Is perhaps the FCS talent pool not deep enough to give us the players to be competitive?  if you were a prospect where would you hope to play of the 4 Dakota programs?

Based on this attitude, maybe we should drop FB? :silly:

You don't just give up because the job is difficult and the goals tough to achieve. MH would never have become what it has become if we had adopted this attitude. We didn't always have a $104 million arena or all our home games on television. We got there with hard work and a positive attitude. If you have those, then good things will happen (not always as quickly as some people would like).

NDSU will not be great forever. Don't fall for the propaganda coming out of Fargo. SDSU smoked them in Brookings this year. They lost to JMU in the semis at home last year; they are NOT invincible.

Sports are cyclical. NDSU is not immune to that.

Either we shoot for the stars or we stop investing time and money into the FB program. Period. #daybyday

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

NDSU will not be great forever. Don't fall for the propaganda coming out of Fargo. SDSU smoked them in Brookings this year. They lost to JMU in the semis at home last year; they are NOT invincible.

Sports are cyclical. NDSU is not immune to that.

Either we shoot for the stars or we stop investing time and money into the FB program. Period. #daybyday

You know, fs4l, you're very right on this.  Hardly anyone under the age of about 30 would remember a time when Alabama football was a job no one wanted.  Mike DuBose was fired in 2000 after covering up an affair with his secretary.  Dennis Franchione had a less-than-stellar record there following him.  Mike Price was hired and then canned before ever coaching a game in 2003 (after the "Roll Tide" scandal with a stripper) and Mike Schula was not the second coming of his dad, Don.  The program was a mess.  So, yea, anything's possible...

• Upvote 2

After 4 years of Bubba, whether there was overachieving or underachieving of a team in any given season, I'm of the opinion that Bubba and his staff could have some success more often than not if UND were to continue in the BSC moving forward. I am not of the opinion that this current coaching staff, top to bottom, will cut it in the MVC year in and year out......if they are around going into 2020.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Oxbow6 said:

After 4 years of Bubba, whether there was overachieving or underachieving of a team in any given season, I'm of the opinion that Bubba and his staff could have some success more often than not if UND were to continue in the BSC moving forward. I am not of the opinion that this current coaching staff, top to bottom, will cut it in the MVC year in and year out......if they are around going into 2020.

I agree.  in the long run leaving the Big Sky could very well end up saving UND nothing. 

3 hours ago, homer said:

One coach took over for a guy who was fired and one took over for one who retired.   Think there may be a difference in what was inherited?  UND football was pretty !@#!$ when Miss was fired, can we agree on that? 

Or you could look at it as Bubba this year took over a team than won the Big Sky and made the FCS playoffs last year....:whistling:

Just now, geaux_sioux said:

It'll be good for us. Instead of pretending we're good all regular season and then getting exposed in the playoffs we'll know when we're actually good.

How often will that be? 

5 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It'll be good for us. Instead of pretending we're good all regular season and then getting exposed in the playoffs we'll know when we're actually good.

I completely agree with this.

The MVFC move was a tremendous move for UND. Congrats to Kennedy and Bubba (and whoever else) for making that happen.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

22 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Or you could look at it as Bubba this year took over a team than won the Big Sky and made the FCS playoffs last year....:whistling:

Huh?  

This was Bubbas team.  Lots of things factored into 3-8.  I’m willing to put blame on him for 3-8 but also will give him credit for 8-3 and 7-4 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

We went 9-3 in 2016, not 8-3.

So you are counting the win against Montana? (should we have actually played them in 2016)  I know many on this site marked that one down as a win.

I'm joking......relax everyone.

15 minutes ago, homer said:

Huh?  

This was Bubbas team.  Lots of things factored into 3-8.  I’m willing to put blame on him for 3-8 but also will give him credit for 8-3 and 7-4 

That's great...But it's time to stop using the long ago 3-8 team as any type of excuse.

As you said that was a 7-4 and 8-3 seasons ago. A coach needs to keep improving on those seasons. Just like the USD coach is doing for his team. 

Lots of factors played a role into 3-8. Next year will be a key year.

Two good and two bad seasons ain't going to cut it. 

Are we going to compares next years team to the 3-8 bubba team or the 8-3 bubba team?

Because now Bubba next year has to coach a team that had the exact same record as the guys teams before him who was fired when he was hired.