SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

2 hours ago, Irish said:

He has some things to learn about keeping and developing his recruits also - I understand the competition but frankly thought we'd be much further along by now.  And We don't need TRex to out recruit these teams, we need Bubba to do it.  That's what he sold us when he was hired.  

How would we be further along with a different coach? Players bolted when Muss was fired, and coming off a 3 win season Bubba had to start in the hole.

• Downvote 1

6 hours ago, darell1976 said:

How would we be further along with a different coach? Players bolted when Muss was fired, and coming off a 3 win season Bubba had to start in the hole.

Those excuses are over.  Time to recruit and retain with success.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

Whoever the first commit is, can we even get excited?

2014 - Ferguson (gone after 1 year)

2015 - Grady (gone after 1 year)

2016 - Secrest (never made it)

2017 - Larson (PLEASE STAY)

2018 - Slater (never made it)

Yikes!

8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I'm a Bubba guy but the 3 win season is a killer.  We needed to build off the the 2016 season with the playoff game and 3 wins last year killed that.  

we are starting in a hole.

3 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

I'm a Bubba guy but the 3 win season is a killer.  We needed to build off the the 2016 season with the playoff game and 3 wins last year killed that.  

we are starting in a hole.

I wouldn't say we are starting in a whole.  Last year was down year mostly caused by a freakish amount of injuries.  This team can still build off of 2016.  They know that they have the potential to have a season like that again.  Not like it was 10 years ago.  Many of the players from that Big Sky Championship team are playing this year.  this team has the potential to be a playoff team this year (and every year for that matter).  No need to let one season make them think otherwise.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Darrell, don't act so oblivious. 

How could UND be further along? Obviously recruit better players in years 1, 2, and 3 and not lose so many of them to attrition. Why don't you take a look at what Jay Hill has been doing down at Weber State (he took over a team that went 2-10 in the same conference as UND). Handicapping UND by continually proclaiming "Muss put them in a hole, blah, blah, blah" only feeds into the hysteria that NDSU will always be way ahead of UND. NDSU doesn't ask for excuses like that, so neither should UND and Bubba. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

When reality sinks in ...

ouch

5 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I wouldn't say we are starting in a whole.  Last year was down year mostly caused by a freakish amount of injuries.  This team can still build off of 2016.  They know that they have the potential to have a season like that again.  Not like it was 10 years ago.  Many of the players from that Big Sky Championship team are playing this year.  this team has the potential to be a playoff team this year (and every year for that matter).  No need to let one season make them think otherwise.

This would be the very optimistic way of looking at it. We'll see come August. 

1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

All really good looking players too.....

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Darrell, don't act so oblivious. 

How could UND be further along? Obviously recruit better players in years 1, 2, and 3 and not lose so many of them to attrition. Why don't you take a look at what Jay Hill has been doing down at Weber State (he took over a team that went 2-10 in the same conference as UND). Handicapping UND by continually proclaiming "Muss put them in a hole, blah, blah, blah" only feeds into the hysteria that NDSU will always be way ahead of UND. NDSU doesn't ask for excuses like that, so neither should UND and Bubba. 

Year one Bubba improves team to 5-7 with Muss’s players.

Year two Bubba improves team to 7-4 (got screwed out of a playoff berth), gives UND their first winning record since 2011.

Year three Bubba improves team to a share of the conference title.

Year four, injuries injuries injuries. 

Year five....coming in August.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

I agree with the current players but was talking about recruiting.  

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Year two Bubba improves team to 7-4 (got screwed out of a playoff berth), gives UND their first winning record since 2011.

Year four happened because there was no depth; poor recruiting and developing by Bubba and staff during year 1, 2, and 3.

Many of Bubba's best players have been "Muss's players": Will Ratelle, Cole Reyes, Deion Harris, Brandon Anderson, AJ Stockwell, Sean Meehan, etc. 

Let's wait and see on year 5; I'm not expecting any bounce back miracles, unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, darell1976 said:

I still think that 7-4 team was our best of the D1 era. Unreal LB corpse and the rest of the team was rolling at the end of the year. 

15 hours ago, darell1976 said:

IIRC NDSU started their playoff run and ultimately their title streak coming off a 3-8 season 9 or 10 years ago.    A bad season or even a few of them shouldn't sink a program.   However a bad coach or a series of bad coaches sure can do it.   

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, TRex said:

IIRC NDSU started their playoff run and ultimately their title streak coming off a 3-8 season 9 or 10 years ago.    A bad season or even a few of them shouldn't sink a program.   However a bad coach or a series of bad coaches sure can do it.   

They blamed that season on injuries and a bunch of “close” losses which counts as wins to them. I hope last season was a glitch due to injuries but if we can’t get at least 7 wins then it may be time to shake up the coaching staff. 

On ‎3‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 12:13 AM, Hambone said:

UND has offered 6'2" CB Tanner Moore out of Kansas.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5506096/Tanner-Moore

UND has also offered Matt Cavanagh out of Edina.  Could play RB or defense - not sure what we are looking at him for.

https://www.hudl.com/profile/4639850/Matt-Cavanagh

Cavanaugh will attend Harvard.

8 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I still think that 7-4 team was our best of the D1 era. Unreal LB corpse and the rest of the team was rolling at the end of the year. 

I hope you meant corps and not corpse.    I'm pretty sure none of them are dead.   After all, the 2016 team wasn't riddled with injuries.

• UNDBIZ featured and unfeatured this topic