SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

On 5/11/2018 at 9:00 PM, SiouxFan100 said:

Lots of offers.  What’s the guess of how many kids we have offered so far actually accept. And of those who accepted, actually graduate from UND?  I say 2 and 1.

So if about 30 accept you are guessing that only 2 graduate, those are SEC numbers.

Two offerees have made their decisions:

DE Jake Karchinski, 6'5", 245, De Pere (West), WI  (2 Star - 247)  **Verbal to Iowa**
LB Chamaar Smith, 6'2", 210, Indianapolis (Decatur Central), IN  (2 Star - 247 & Scout)  **Verbal to NIU**

• 2 weeks later...

New offers:

S Darius Luff, 6'1“, 180, Lincoln (Lincoln), NE  (excellent hurdler)

Ath Samuel-Salih Fort, 5'11“, 180, Blue Ridge (Blue Ridge), VA Has offers from Norfolk St, Hampton & SDSU

OT Tyler Cooper, 6'5", 295, Saint Croix Falls (Saint Croix Falls),  WI  (3 Star - 247)  Has offers from EMU, NIU, NM, USD, WY & SDSU

On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 9:23 PM, UND Fan said:

More so than in the past, it appears we are going head-to-head with other FCS programs for some really talented kids.  The latest:

LB Luke Wertz, 6'2", 230, 4.8, Batavia (Batavia), IL  Has offers from IN St, SIU, UNI, NDSU, E KY, Ball St & Cornell

LB Luke Dwyer, 6'2", 200, 4.8, Lake Zurich (Lake Zurich), IL  Has offers from W IL, NDSU, SIU, IN St & E KY

Weertz will be a Bison - and probably a very good one!!!

4 hours ago, UND Fan said:

Weertz will be a Bison - and probably a very good one!!!

Yea, so we've heard.   It looks like Weertz received a lot more offers since he got the Hawk offer in March.   It's being reported he got 17 offers including Kansas State and Air Force.   I know it's only one player, but how does anyone at this level compete against a team like NDSU when they can out recruit high level teams like K State?    We keep talking about closing the gap with NDSU but really they are pulling away from us and fast.   There is no use kidding ourselves about being out recruited.   Obviously they are out recruiting a lot of teams and not just us.

There are no easy answers though, if there were, everyone would be doing it.    The reality is that they are getting monster recruits for 2019 and Bubba is still bringing in players for this year trying to plug some holes.   Just take this for what it's worth, 1 man's opinion and nothing more.    Carry on.

• Upvote 1

"High level teams like K State" is questionable. I understand they are the better of the 2 Kansas teams, but "high level" seems a bit much. Yes they are in a big conference, but I don't see the shine on that team.

The rest is true. But we need to get some guys who slip through the cracks and do what we did in the 90's.

22 minutes ago, shep said:

"High level teams like K State" is questionable. I understand they are the better of the 2 Kansas teams, but "high level" seems a bit much. Yes they are in a big conference, but I don't see the shine on that team.

The rest is true. But we need to get some guys who slip through the cracks and do what we did in the 90's.

Call K State whatever you like, but they are a P5 school.   That IS the highest level, is it not?

1 hour ago, TRex said:

Yea, so we've heard.   It looks like Weertz received a lot more offers since he got the Hawk offer in March.   It's being reported he got 17 offers including Kansas State and Air Force.   I know it's only one player, but how does anyone at this level compete against a team like NDSU when they can out recruit high level teams like K State?    We keep talking about closing the gap with NDSU but really they are pulling away from us and fast.   There is no use kidding ourselves about being out recruited.   Obviously they are out recruiting a lot of teams and not just us.

There are no easy answers though, if there were, everyone would be doing it.    The reality is that they are getting monster recruits for 2019 and Bubba is still bringing in players for this year trying to plug some holes.   Just take this for what it's worth, 1 man's opinion and nothing more.    Carry on.

All fair points.

Being out recruited definitely sucks. The current men on the roster are a driving factor for the future of the program and it's ability to get recruits. My hopes are guys like Deion Harris can shine and gain national exposure throughout the season and draft and have UND's name out there like it has been with Moo-U. 

---- Winnings solves everything.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Siouxp said:

Being out recruited definitely sucks. The current men on the roster are a driving factor for the future of the program and it's ability to get recruits. My hopes are guys like Deion Harris can shine and gain national exposure throughout the season and draft and have UND's name out there like it has been with Moo-U. 

---- Winnings solves everything.

Agree with this - this year is very important.  In my opinion, in order to play smash-face Bubba Ball, you need to do several things:  1.  Win some recruiting battles for stud hogs, 2.  Keep the studs you have recruited, 3.  Have a great development program for young hogs, and 4.  Have a sensible and efficient scheme for blocking.  5.  Have an offensive philosophy that keeps defenses off balance so they can't just dig in.  Judge for yourself how many of these things we have going for us.  Otherwise, the face getting smashed is ours.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, Irish said:

Agree with this - this year is very important.  In my opinion, in order to play smash-face Bubba Ball, you need to do several things:  1.  Win some recruiting battles for stud hogs, 2.  Keep the studs you have recruited, 3.  Have a great development program for young hogs, and 4.  Have a sensible and efficient scheme for blocking.  5.  Have an offensive philosophy that keeps defenses off balance so they can't just dig in.  Judge for yourself how many of these things we have going for us.  Otherwise, the face getting smashed is ours.  

0/5

42 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

We’ve won some recruiting battles on hogs. Then they didn’t last or had an injury derail their career.

Agreed we've had some injuries - but this Bubba's 5th year.  How is he doing with hogs overall?

8 minutes ago, Irish said:

Agreed we've had some injuries - but this Bubba's 5th year.  How is he doing with hogs overall?

The last hog who signed with us over other Dakota schools was Helgren. Overall I haven’t been impressed with the hogs under Bubba so far.

25 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

The last hog who signed with us over other Dakota schools was Helgren. Overall I haven’t been impressed with the hogs under Bubba so far.

Bubba sure needs to do something about his overall recruiting and soon.   His big problem is a chicken and egg scenario.    He can't get outstanding recruits without winning and he can''t win without outstanding recruits.    It really does feel like back in the Muss days I'm sorry to say.

5 minutes ago, TRex said:

Bubba sure needs to do something about his overall recruiting and soon.   His big problem is a chicken and egg scenario.    He can't get outstanding recruits without winning and he can''t win without outstanding recruits.    It really does feel like back in the Muss days I'm sorry to say.

At the very least they aren't recruiting 5'7" guys from CA anymore.  So we got that going for us.

• UNDBIZ featured and unfeatured this topic