SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

6 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Are we really going to resort to slamming NDSU’s education ? I don’t think it is really necessary to go there. Just makes our fan board sound like the jealous ex girlfriend. I work with several NDSU grads, they are fine people, intelligent, and good workers. Let’s stick to football

As do I - many are great, intelligent people.

But I still went there because I support UND’s academics before NDSU’s, and, well, because the comparison is considered by many. Only a few dare say their thoughts on the matter, though.  

Oh screw the political correctness. I said what I said. Enjoy

And I didn’t slam NDSU’s education; merely stated UND is superior. Always jumping to conclusions around here.

42 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Aahh Stecker.  Go look at how he handled it on Twitter (correctly).  Plus, UND was on him the whole time, its just NDSU gave him a PJ-like deadline and he obviously didn't want to take it but felt pressured.  This situation is completely different.  

Then I guess Bubba is following the PJ recruiting philosophy. You just had a recent recruit say he wanted to accept the UND offer right away while it was still valid. I wonder if Bubba suggested it may not be there if he waited too long. No, not Bubba. He wouldn’t stoop that low. 

• Downvote 1

10 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

This happens......but only after two weeks??? If you were serious enough to commit, I'd hope that you seriously thought about it and it meant something and if you were to change your mind it'd take more thinking than two weeks.......

Its not surprising. College football is a business and "commitment" is a loosely defined term in the world of college athletics. Coaches are recruiting your replacement before you even set foot on campus and play a single snap. I don't fault the kid who changes his mind before coming to UND. Now, it can go to a kid who is waiting to get the call from Bubba to realize his dream of playing football at UND. He just created an opportunity for someone's dream to come true.

The players on the roster now have a chance to change the narrative regarding which is a better option, UND or NDSU.   Winning matters. If we make the playoffs 2 of the past 3 years, we would fair better in the recruiting wars. Beat Sam Houston, compete against UW, and beat Montana this year. Next year, won't have many kids flipping away from UND.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Yeah, superior education? When your Law School grads start passing the ND Bar at a rate higher than a third of grads from out of state schools then get back to me about the great education at UND. 

But this is a recruiting forum. What about the Stecklet kid that was about to sign as a PWO with NDSU and at the last minute UND offered a scholly?

and by the way, this ain’t the late 90’s or early 2000’s. The playing field has shifted greatly.

Right, because NDSU’s law school is so spectacular? Give me a break. One can’t even the compare the two institutions academically as it’s so lopsided.

22 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Right, because NDSU’s law school is so spectacular? Give me a break. One can’t even the compare the two institutions academically as it’s so lopsided.

Whatever. I work at a company that hires a lot of college graduates. An applicant with a degree from NDSU gets the SAME consideration as an applicant with a degree from UND. The better interviewer will get the job. That is the reality you don’t want to admit to. 

18 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Whatever. I work at a company that hires a lot of college graduates. An applicant with a degree from NDSU gets the SAME consideration as an applicant with a degree from UND. The better interviewer will get the job. That is the reality you don’t want to admit to. 

For milking cows and raising pigs, yes.

Both are admirable professions too by the way.

16 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

For milking cows and raising pigs, yes.

Both are admirable professions too by the way.

http://www.inforum.com/news/education/4476816-complaint-more-negligent-animal-deaths-ndsu-including-6-cows-1-horse

Not so sure I'd give SU the advantage on animal husbandry.  If the job is strictly burying dead animals, then yes, I'd give the SU grads the job based on experience.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

As do I - many are great, intelligent people.

But I still went there because I support UND’s academics before NDSU’s, and, well, because the comparison is considered by many. Only a few dare say their thoughts on the matter, though.  

Oh screw the political correctness. I said what I said. Enjoy

And I didn’t slam NDSU’s education; merely stated UND is superior. Always jumping to conclusions around here.

Damn,  sometimes facts get in the way.

Schools with the Highest 2013 First-Time CPA Exam Pass Rate with an Advanced Degree

1. North Dakota State University 75.0%

One school in North Dakota had first-time candidates for the CPA exam who also had an advanced degree. The national pass rate for all first-time candidates was 54.6% (for candidates with a bachelor’s or advanced degree). You may consider the first-time CPA exam pass rate as a helpful metric for comparing the quality of accounting programs in your area. For a full breakdown of CPA exam statistics, see the 2013 NASBA Uniform CPA Examination Candidate Performance report provided by the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy.

Top Master’s in Accounting Programs in North Dakota

North Dakota State University (Fargo, ND)

North Dakota State University offers a Master of Accountancy program best suited to students with undergraduate degrees in accounting, although students who majored in other subjects may be able to enter the program and supplement their education with further undergraduate study within the master’s program. The non-thesis program is meant to provide students with the skills and knowledge base needed to advance their careers in public, corporate, or government accounting and achieve certification by passing the Uniform CPA exam. An emphasis on interactivity between peers, faculty, and accounting leaders provides learning and networking opportunities. Electives in the 30 credit hour program include Fraud Examination, Management Control Systems, Financial Statement Analysis, and International Management. Graduate assistantships are available on a limited basis to qualified students. The accounting program at North Dakota State is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. US News ranks North Dakota State University #190 in National Universities.

55 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Damn,  sometimes facts get in the way.

Schools with the Highest 2013 First-Time CPA Exam Pass Rate with an Advanced Degree

1. North Dakota State University 75.0%

One school in North Dakota had first-time candidates for the CPA exam who also had an advanced degree. The national pass rate for all first-time candidates was 54.6% (for candidates with a bachelor’s or advanced degree). You may consider the first-time CPA exam pass rate as a helpful metric for comparing the quality of accounting programs in your area. For a full breakdown of CPA exam statistics, see the 2013 NASBA Uniform CPA Examination Candidate Performance report provided by the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy.

Top Master’s in Accounting Programs in North Dakota

North Dakota State University (Fargo, ND)

North Dakota State University offers a Master of Accountancy program best suited to students with undergraduate degrees in accounting, although students who majored in other subjects may be able to enter the program and supplement their education with further undergraduate study within the master’s program. The non-thesis program is meant to provide students with the skills and knowledge base needed to advance their careers in public, corporate, or government accounting and achieve certification by passing the Uniform CPA exam. An emphasis on interactivity between peers, faculty, and accounting leaders provides learning and networking opportunities. Electives in the 30 credit hour program include Fraud Examination, Management Control Systems, Financial Statement Analysis, and International Management. Graduate assistantships are available on a limited basis to qualified students. The accounting program at North Dakota State is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business. US News ranks North Dakota State University #190 in National Universities.

Now we transition from law school to accounting? You really are desperate to find some inkling of academic superiority. 

Since you referenced US News:

#192 ranked national university: UND https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-north-dakota-3005

#198 ranked national university: NDSU https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/north-dakota-state-9265

Certainly room for both universities to improve, but between the two I know where I want my children to attend. 

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Now we transition from law school to accounting? You really are desperate to find some inkling of academic superiority. 

Since you referenced US News:

#192 ranked national university: UND https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/university-of-north-dakota-3005

#198 ranked national university: NDSU https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/north-dakota-state-9265

So, big picture this makes everyone look like noting for arguing about the difference between 192 and 198. Not exactly Harvard vs Yale here.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, siouxfan512 said:

So, big picture this makes everyone look like noting for arguing about the difference between 192 and 198. Not exactly Harvard vs Yale here.

You should perhaps check out the Harvard and Yale fan forums then; let us know what you think. 

This is just a little Sunday fun on a UND fan forum, relax.  

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

I am guessing you mean the best...interviewee...will get the job. I could be wrong if course but my error would beg the question: "what was the point of the interview".

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Yet if it were reversed and the Weerts kid flipped to UND you would be praising the kid for seeing the light and praising Bubba for being persistent in his recruitment...

Wrong.  I am anti-flip 1st, above all else.  I don't get FCS to FCS flips, FBS flips to FBS.  If I were the NCAA I would take 10% scholarship $$ off the table for flippers, each flip.  There was a guy I think 2 years ago that committed each visit, flipped 3-4 times with UND and a few MVC teams.

However, I do understand a kid committing to DII and then taking an FCS offer, or an FCS to FBS flip.  That's a different ball game.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Wrong.  I am anti-flip 1st, above all else.  I don't get FCS to FCS flips, FBS flips to FBS.  If I were the NCAA I would take 10% scholarship $$ off the table for flippers, each flip.  There was a guy I think 2 years ago that committed each visit, flipped 3-4 times with UND and a few MVC teams.

However, I do understand a kid committing to DII and then taking an FCS offer, or an FCS to FBS flip.  That's a different ball game.

I would rather nobody flip either. We agree.  So to be clear, you think Steckler should be a Bison? 

7 hours ago, SiouxFan100 said:

Both su and UND are great institutions. North Dakotans should be proud of both - from a life long ND resident and UND graduate 

I agree as an NDSU grad. It is a chunk of UND fans that like to bash NDSU's quality of education being far inferior to UND's when they can't believe a kid would pick NDSU over UND. The difference in education quality is negligible or non-existent. 

11 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

I don’t like to see flips like this either. I wish a kid would stick with his commitment. But UND hockey just flipped the Randklev kid from Moorhead from ASU to UND. I don’t think there was talk about the entire process going in the tank then.

I billited the last 2 years for the Force.  In all reality, hockey commitments are very solid.  When our player this past season verballed I asked him how many times the other schools that he narrowed it down to called or will call.  He said no calls and they won't, that's how hockey is.  Most changes in commitment are unusual or changing circumstances.  Like a change in coaches, style of play, a loaded roster at a position, etc.  These USHL guys all have advisors, which become their paid agents if they make it to that level.  As someone said, some of these guys commit at ages 13-15.....too early.

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

I billited the last 2 years for the Force.  In all reality, hockey commitments are very solid.  When our player this past season verballed I asked him how many times the other schools that he narrowed it down to called or will call.  He said no calls and they won't, that's how hockey is.  Most changes in commitment are unusual or changing circumstances.  Like a change in coaches, style of play, a loaded roster at a position, etc.  These USHL guys all have advisors, which become their paid agents if they make it to that level.  As someone said, some of these guys commit at ages 13-15.....too early.

Does the NCAA allow that in hockey? Advisors that will become paid agents? I thought that kind of thing has gotten some P5 football players in trouble, Not implying UND or other schools are doing anything wrong. It just doesn't seem that the NCAA would allow an future financial agreement like that. 

4 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Does the NCAA allow that in hockey? Advisors that will become paid agents? I thought that kind of thing has gotten some P5 football players in trouble, Not implying UND or other schools are doing anything wrong. It just doesn't seem that the NCAA would allow an future financial agreement like that. 

For sure!!

Nearly all USHL guys have these non paid advisors.  All on a hand shake these advisors will become paid agents, assuming a player makes it.  From the football world to hockey world recruiting, commitments, advisors, way different.  I learned a lot and to be frank, prefer the hockey way of doing things.

2 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

For sure!!

Nearly all USHL guys have these non paid advisors.  All on a hand shake these advisors will become paid agents, assuming a player makes it.  From the football world to hockey world recruiting, commitments, advisors, way different.  I learned a lot and to be frank, prefer the hockey way of doing things.

I see no problem with it, just surprised the NCAA would allow it. 

29 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

I would rather nobody flip either. We agree.  So to be clear, you think Steckler should be a Bison? 

Did Steckler put his name on a committmemt letter and post it?  If so, it would be my opinion he should stick with that.