SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

37 minutes ago, shep said:

I don't think anyone here "blindly trust the coaches" but it's clear the coaches can do NOTHING right in your opinion. You doubt the recruiting process this year as they didn't have the depth to fill in for the catastrophic injuries last year and I suspect you never will. 

Yet you seem sensitive that some have tired of your pessimism.

Let me help you. Your interpretation of my views could not be more incorrect.

I don't think anyone here "blindly trust the coaches"  ...  oh, there are some.

"The coaches can do NOTHING right in your opinion" ... a faulty generalization; of course the coaching staff has done some things right. Have you selectively forgotten how Mussman's staff operated? Bubba took UND to their first FCS playoffs in 2016. I do not believe they can do "NOTHING" right; wow, give me a break. The fact of the matter is coaching falls on a spectrum; unfortunately, many on here oversimplify and assess UND football with a splitting approach (either all good or all bad; nothing in between). 

"You doubt the recruiting process this year"  I am skeptical. I certainly hope and do believe that several of these prospects will work out. Like every season, though, the proportion of the class that "works out" will influence whether UND is successful or not. All comes down to development versus attrition. 

"I suspect you never will"  - step back and look at the overall situation. You're the one being narrow-minded here, not me. I have been optimistic when appropriate in the past and that will happen again when I see improvement ON THE ACTUAL FIELD. 

Lastly, my pessimism is weighed with the previous results; not conjecture that any armchair quarterback on this site can stir up and write on here. When the actual results (which are independent of most folks on here) are improved, then my outlook will be improved.

I will not apologize for being results based; that is the very nature of collegiate football. 

47 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Everyone please stay on the topic of 2019 recruits in this thread and let's try to keep it relatively clean. There are plenty of other threads to complain about coaches and each other. 

Understood. I'll just emphasize this statement then:

"You doubt the recruiting process this year"  I am skeptical. I certainly hope and do believe that several of these prospects will work out. Like every season, though, the proportion of the class that "works out" will influence whether UND is successful or not. All comes down to development versus attrition. 

So far, on paper, this class is shaping up nicely. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Very good. I'm hopeful too.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well said..... but still lookin’ good!

10 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Well, umm, maybe my previous post or two? It doesn't take long to find my posts that contain fair optimism and praise; don't be so damn narrow-minded. I just don't state my opinions for the sake of pure optimism. UND went 3-8 last season; there shouldn't be a bunch of roses and rainbows after that !@#$. 

"Recruiting should be all positive (???) because these players could all potentially be great at UND but you even make recruiting negative" ...recruiting is dependent on the coaching. Sorry if you can't somehow understand that. If a player can't be developed and put in position to succeed, then that is lost potential, not gain. 

Your rhetoric that we should all "shut up" and "blindly trust the coaches" (same ones who just led a 3-8 season) is quite ignorant. Ever heard of constructive criticism? I deathly fear the future prospects of any program that goes without it. Just because you have limited insight and understanding doesn't mean others should settle for that level also. I will support UND like I always have, but I don't have to be happy with every decision nor that UND went 3-8 last season. I am utterly disappointed by that and I hope the coaching staff and players are using the poor showing of 2017 as motivation. If they think like some on here ("it was just the injuries; 2018 could never possibly be as bad"), then 2018 will again be riddled with loses and excuses. 

Why don't you continue to bash high school kids that made a choice to play football at UND, that seem like a reasonable thing to do before they ever set foot on campus. 

Part of me wonders if you would talk all this !@#$ to peoples face like you do on this website, I think I know the answer. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Beach and Cochran had FCS offers so they are going to be good.  

Correct.  And if an FBS school offers, especially Purdue.......you are pre-season freshman All-American (mop in hand at NDSU, poised for the NFL apparently)

Give our coaches credit for offering players based on what they think, regardless of the group think.  From the current commits, a few of these guys will have huge Sr. years and that's when a staff earns their rather small paychecks. (seeing commits thru to signing day)

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Why don't you continue to bash high school kids that made a choice to play football at UND, that seem like a reasonable thing to do before they ever set foot on campus. 

Part of me wonders if you would talk all this !@#$ to peoples face like you do on this website, I think I know the answer. 

Take it to PM.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, forksandspoons said:

Picked up another OL. Looks like a solid get. 

Maybe its just me, but OL that are on the lighter side always make me nervous. Maybe this is just because we have been waiting for guys like Bryce Blair to beef up over the past few season. Skill seems to be there, but needs to be up to size. I'll be interested to see how fast Donny Ventrelli can pack on the pounds as well.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Maybe its just me, but OL that are on the lighter side always make me nervous. Maybe this is just because we have been waiting for guys like Bryce Blair to beef up over the past few season. Skill seems to be there, but needs to be up to size. I'll be interested to see how fast Donny Ventrelli can pack on the pounds as well.

They will be entering our strength and conditioning program. That will bulk them up.

46 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Blair is an anomaly.  (just doesn't put on the pounds)  An OL prospect at 250 lbs today can easily project to 265 - 270 entering college and 280 - 285 after 1 year in college.  I think 285 is kind of the minimum for a player to be an effective pass blocker.  Blair is fine/good at run blocking, but in a pass block set 260 is too light and players at this weight get lifted and off balance too easy against a pass rush.

1 minute ago, gundy1124 said:

Blair is an anomaly.  (just doesn't put on the pounds)  An OL prospect at 250 lbs today can easily project to 265 - 270 entering college and 280 - 285 after 1 year in college.  I think 285 is kind of the minimum for a player to be an effective pass blocker.  Blair is fine/good at run blocking, but in a pass block set 260 is too light and players at this weight get lifted and off balance too easy against a pass rush.

Noah Mortel is the prototype.  If we can get these kids to look like Mortel after 2 years then UND is in business.  6'6 305.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Makes sense, I'll take your word for it. I'll be interested to see where Jeremy Jenkins is at when the new weights come out. Kid was already big and with a year in the program; well, we will see.

Always a fan of players who also wrestled in H.S.   That can be a useful skill when it comes to football.  Plus,there is almost a singular focus that wrestlers seem to be able to have in their training, and here's hoping those tools will translate into a player that evolves into a solid contributor here at North Dakota.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Blair's issues with gaining weight isn't UND's fault (or Blair's, for that matter). Both parties have worked at it. As said above, he's an anomaly. Although there has finally been a correction and you'll see a heavier Bryce in the fall.

OK, I've been out of the loop a while but see all these commits via Twitter.

Is this early? Seems like it to me, or I might just be out of sync.

Is the staff doing something earlier/better/right this year? 

Confused, but not upset. 

• UNDBIZ featured and unfeatured this topic