SiouxSports.com Forum

2019 UND Recruiting

UNDBIZ

9 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Nobody really knows how good kids are going to be until they get on campus and get a couple of years into the program. But, does it concern you that all 8 of UND’s commitments are from regions heavily recruited by area MVFC schools (NDSU, SDSU, UNI, USD), and none of them have an offer from any of those schools. I think 7 of the 8 have no other D1 offers. 

Does it concern you?

For me it depends on the recruit.  I wish they would get some more high-end MN and WI kids, yes.  The reality is they are not going to pull the high-end Illinois/Iowa kids until they win more and get better facilities, etc.  

The other reality is that there isn't a program in the country who is going to out-recruit NDSU right now.  We just happen to be the lucky ones that are in the same state as them and 75 miles away.  

So, UND needs to develop the diamonds in the rough, then win consistently, and keep fighting for top talent with a better resume.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Nobody really knows how good kids are going to be until they get on campus and get a couple of years into the program. But, does it concern you that all 8 of UND’s commitments are from regions heavily recruited by area MVFC schools (NDSU, SDSU, UNI, USD), and none of them have an offer from any of those schools. I think 7 of the 8 have no other D1 offers. 

I have no idea how good the kids are.  I trust the coaches but let’s be honest, how many MVFC teams recruit northern Minnesota and North Dakota?  

Historically the SD schools and UNI haven’t recruited in either spot.  

1 hour ago, nd1sufan said:

Yes, that is my concern.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, homer said:

I have no idea how good the kids are.  I trust the coaches but let’s be honest, how many MVFC teams recruit northern Minnesota and North Dakota?  

Historically the SD schools and UNI haven’t recruited in either spot.  

Yes, but the Bison certainly recruit those areas hard.  Unfortunately, at this point in time, we seldom win a recruiting battle against SU.  Not being negative, just realistic.   

• Upvote 1

With their success, NDSU has expanded their recruiting footprint, though they obviously still get a good portion of local talent. The South Dakota schools and UNI don't recruit ND and Minnesota outside of the MSP area, so not seeing some of these kids have other offers is not surprising. The majority of them have been to multiple camps and the staff has had plenty of time to see them. 

9 hours ago, UND1983 said:

You're an idiot.  That's all.

Get your head out of the sand.

2017: top 10 preseason to 3-8. Face reality; that was and is disastrous. 

Damn, there are so many losers on this board. I just proposed fair questions, not statements or predictions to 2018.  I have no problem stating how I see things, even if it happens to step on the figurative toes of some poor little sensitive UND football fan. 

9 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Sweet, let’s !@#$ on the recruits before they even make it to campus. Great idea.

I'm questioning their potential. That's not !@#$ on recruits or whatever in the hell you're trying to get at. Only time will tell.

If your recruit scouting reports were anything close to accurate, UND would already have a couple FCS national titles by now. 

Fact of the matter is the majority of UND's recruits have not been as good as the overly optimistic bunch on here thinks they are or will be. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

It is concerning. Anyone who says different is full of !@#$ or, to use @UND1983's elaborate vocabulary, an idiot. 

18 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I'm questioning their potential. That's not !@#$ on recruits or whatever in the hell you're trying to get at. Only time will tell.

If your recruit scouting reports were anything close to accurate, UND would already have a couple FCS national titles by now. 

Fact of the matter is the majority of UND's recruits have not been as good as the overly optimistic bunch on here thinks they are or will be. 

The thing about recruiting projects, which Bubba and Co have a penchant to do, is that your coaching staff has to coach them up. Nothing wrong with recruiting kids who need some time to develop (if you have the time to teach them), but for goodness sake, develop them. This will be a litmus test of this staff's ability to coach these kids. Many returning injured and lots of underclassmen who got plenty of playing time and experience early in their careers. Could be a great formula, or could be a struggle again. Will reflect more on the staff than the players, imho. That is what I read when I read UND-FB-FAN's posts.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Get your head out of the sand.

2017: top 10 preseason to 3-8. Face reality; that was and is disastrous. 

Damn, there are so many losers on this board. I just proposed fair questions, not statements or predictions to 2018.  I have no problem stating how I see things, even if it happens to step on the figurative toes of some poor little sensitive UND football fan. 

The fact is that UND's recruiting over the past 5 years has always been at the same level if you look at the entire class.  Maybe a few slight fluctuations but never one class way better than another.  

2015 - 7-4

2016 - 9-3

2017 - 3-8

Last year's 3-8 record had very little to do with 'overall recruiting' based on my previous paragraph.  It showed their depth wasn't great, yes, but it also proved that they have never had that many injuries to expose that lack of depth...correct?  There are very few programs that are 3 deep across the board.  Most are 2 if they are lucky.  

Guys that started last year will never start again or if they do it's down the road when they are seniors.  

Would call that a good weekend.  Added some good local talent.  

For the record, I have no problem at all taking lineman that the NSIC schools wanted.  Those school's turn out All-American/NFL lineman all the time. 

Skill positions I would like to win battles over FCS schools.

42 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Would call that a good weekend.  Added some good local talent.  

For the record, I have no problem at all taking lineman that the NSIC schools wanted.  Those school's turn out All-American/NFL lineman all the time. 

Skill positions I would like to win battles over FCS schools.

Nsic schools turn out nfl lineman all the time?

4 minutes ago, Texas rancher said:

Nsic schools turn out nfl lineman all the time?

This past year I saw multiple OL get camp invites, IIRC.  I didn't say they were first ballot HOF.

I don't think UND has put an OL in the NFL since Chris Kuper.  

1 hour ago, UND-1 said:

The fact is that UND's recruiting over the past 5 years has always been at the same level if you look at the entire class.  Maybe a few slight fluctuations but never one class way better than another.  

2015 - 7-4

2016 - 9-3

2017 - 3-8

Last year's 3-8 record had very little to do with 'overall recruiting' based on my previous paragraph.  It showed their depth wasn't great, yes, but it also proved that they have never had that many injuries to expose that lack of depth...correct?  There are very few programs that are 3 deep across the board.  Most are 2 if they are lucky.  

Guys that started last year will never start again or if they do it's down the road when they are seniors.  

There was a combination of bad luck (out of staff's control) and poor recruiting (within staff's control) that factored into UND's disappointing 2017 season. UND's coaching staff needs to have learned a lesson or two from 2017 or else they aren't the crew for the job. Just cruising into 2018 without changing some of their methods would be a critical mistake.

I sure hope we never see injuries like we did in 2017, but I also hope the backups are more talented and better positioned than they were in 2017. 

I have no problem recruiting local kids; in fact, I prefer it. It's the coaching and development of those kids that needs to drastically improve. With all that said, a few talented out-of-area kids are also an absolute must for each recruiting class.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There was a combination of bad luck (out of staff's control) and poor recruiting (within staff's control) that factored into UND's disappointing 2017 season. UND's coaching staff needs to have learned a lesson or two from 2017 or else they aren't the crew for the job. Just cruising into 2018 without changing some of their methods would be a critical mistake.

I sure hope we never see injuries like we did in 2017, but I also hope the backups are more talented and better positioned than they were in 2017. 

I have no problem recruiting local kids; in fact, I prefer it. It's the coaching and development of those kids that needs to drastically improve. With all that said, a few talented out-of-area kids are also an absolute must for each recruiting class.

This!! Yes injuries suck, but next man up. Our depth was horrid on defense. 

19 hours ago, UND Fan said:

I assume there will be a few offers in the next few days.  Here is one:

RB Zander Gray, 6'1”, 225, 4.7, Omaha (North), NE Has offer from USD

Another:

WR Jayson Coley, 6', 160, 4.8, Country Club Hills (Hillcrest), IL Has offer from EIU

2 hours ago, UND-1 said:

Another FCS school offered.  He must be really good.

It's certainly not a bad thing; especially in this day and age, with widespread accessibility through various networks. The days of even 10 years ago when recruits could go under the radar is really quite over.