SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2017-18

OgieOgilthorpe

14 hours ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

RR pulled their goalie and scored with 22 seconds left to tie the game at 2 then scored early into OT. 

I'm pleasantly shocked at how DL is staying with the big boys (e.g., GFC and RR), despite having four freshmen and an 8th grader on defense,  a first-year goalie, and only one scoring line.  22 secs. away from pulling off a big one last night.  Haven't seen any of their games, but I have a hunch that their first-year goalie is a gem and is keeping them competitive in every game.  Hard to believe that they've given up more than 3 goals just once, despite playing the top teams.

5 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

I'm pleasantly shocked at how DL is staying with the big boys (e.g., GFC and RR), despite having four freshmen and an 8th grader on defense,  a first-year goalie, and only one scoring line.  22 secs. away from pulling off a big one last night.  Haven't seen any of their games, but I have a hunch that their first-year goalie is a gem and is keeping them competitive in every game.  Hard to believe that they've given up more than 3 goals just once, despite playing the top teams.

After seeing them play Jamestown in the WF jamboree I too am shocked. Haven’t seen them since but I agree their goalie must be playing lights out. 

52 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

After seeing them play Jamestown in the WF jamboree I too am shocked. Haven’t seen them since but I agree their goalie must be playing lights out. 

Playing Davies on the road will be a big test. Maybe these close games have given them some confidence. And yes I agree their goalie is keeping games within reach. 

1 hour ago, sioux rube said:

Don't know anything about him and don't know where he came from, but I'm also suspecting that they must have a very good coach to parlay young, inexperienced talent into a competitive squad.  And they've seemed to be very competitive ever since he took over.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, siouxczech29 said:

Looking at the ND HS Hockey site I noticed that Jackson Kunz has missed a few games.  Reading back a page it looks like he was injured during the Davies game.  Anyone have an update on his condition?

Heard he lost or broke a couple teeth and apparently hurt his shoulder as well.

3 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Don't know anything about him and don't know where he came from, but I'm also suspecting that they must have a very good coach to parlay young, inexperienced talent into a competitive squad.  And they've seemed to be very competitive ever since he took over.

He must be getting his feet under him now that he has a few years under his belt. It sure seems like he has figured out how to get the most out of a young and inexperienced team this season. Pretty impressive! I'll be even more impressed if they don't play down to the competition from here on out after these recent showings. I may have judged him too quickly 2 years ago when DL ended up losing like 11 of their last 12 games including 4-5 teams that they had beaten earlier in the year. I think injuries took a toll on that already shallow lineup but it still seemed like a good time to point at the coach a little bit. 

Did anyone hear what happened in the Central-EGF game? They must've had a few open netters or something because I'm pretty sure it was a tie game or at least 1 goal game going into the 3rd with Central leading in shots. 

1 hour ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

He must be getting his feet under him now that he has a few years under his belt. It sure seems like he has figured out how to get the most out of a young and inexperienced team this season. Pretty impressive! I'll be even more impressed if they don't play down to the competition from here on out after these recent showings. I may have judged him too quickly 2 years ago when DL ended up losing like 11 of their last 12 games including 4-5 teams that they had beaten earlier in the year. I think injuries took a toll on that already shallow lineup but it still seemed like a good time to point at the coach a little bit. 

Did anyone hear what happened in the Central-EGF game? They must've had a few open netters or something because I'm pretty sure it was a tie game or at least 1 goal game going into the 3rd with Central leading in shots. 

Didn't watch the game but saw the highlights on the WDAZ last night EGF had a PP goal or 2 and also killed at least 1 5-on-3 so maybe special teams part of the difference. Looking at EGF Hockey account on Twitter it was 2-1 EGF going to the 3rd and Central was outshooting them 18-17. Wave scored 57 seconds into the 3rd, and then again with 13:38 left and 9:35 left for the 5-1 win.

Century and BHS tonight. Should be a good one. I was pretty disappointed with how Century did in the Holiday tournament but maybe they'll bounce back tonight in their biggest west game of the year. 

DL and Davies should be a good one as well if Devils Lake can continue playing like they have against the big dogs recently.  If they do play up to the competition again, they should give Davies a run for their money. 

Red River at EGF.  Pretty even game.  EGF did kill off a 5.  Went to ot 0-0 with EGF on PP.  They got another pp later and RR got one with neither scoring.  20 seconds left scramble in front RR net and player covered puck.  Coby Stauss scored on penalty shot for 1-0 EGF win.

• Upvote 4