SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2017-18

OgieOgilthorpe

2 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

In girls hockey:

North/South 15

Jamestown 0

N/S had 67 SOG.

........and why do we play these games???

Not the same team I coached. They are building. Heck they have 21 girls on the roster but very young with only 2 seniors. Hell my 4 years coaching we had 11-13 players but those girls worked their butts off. Going to take a little time although it’s been 4 years now of not being competitive. New coach and the numbers are looking up. 

On 11/18/2017 at 8:52 AM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I completely agree about that being scary and their D core being way down this season...but just take a quick look at what south/shanley and other Fargo teams lost. And that's when they were already worse off last year. I see DL being down yes, but I see 4-5 teams being even worse off than last year too. I'm anxious to see what the new WF school will have to offer. They'll be a wildcard 

DL only beat a West bottom feeder by a goal last night.  Yikes!

10 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

DL is very young on the blue line. Could be a long season for the team formerly known as the Satans. 

I saw that; 4 freshmen and an 8th grader on the blue line, plus a first -year goaltender.  I guess the good news is that they only gave up one goal last night.  Should bode well for the future, though.  I think they've got some kids on their top line that can score.

2 hours ago, MoSiouxFan said:

DL only beat a West bottom feeder by a goal last night.  Yikes!

I Saw that...so maybe my #4 east preseason ranking was too high for them. 

Bott should be a little improved this season (but not much) and I also see the shots were 41- 9 in DL's favor. Goals are what count and only getting two against a team like Bott isn't a good sign, but that tells a little bit more of the story. 

7 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I Saw that...so maybe my #4 east preseason ranking was too high for them. 

Bott should be a little improved this season (but not much) and I also see the shots were 41- 9 in DL's favor. Goals are what count and only getting two against a team like Bott isn't a good sign, but that tells a little bit more of the story. 

Would like to see them overachieve and finish no. 4 in order to get home ice in the first round of the EDC Tourn., but 5 or 6 may be more realistic.  Depends on the development of their freshmen and sophs.

45 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Would like to see them overachieve and finish no. 4 in order to get home ice in the first round of the EDC Tourn., but 5 or 6 may be more realistic.  Depends on the development of their freshmen and sophs.

I'm anxious to see what the North hype is about. They were miserable last season, so even if they had returned every single player, I still don't think they would be any good. Same with south...they lost their top 6 scorers and don't have much else left so I'm curious how they're being ranked higher than last season after they were below .500 even with those 6 guys and their goalie. 

48 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

The only reason I had DL at 4 is because there really didn't seem to be anyone else below them that should be any better than last season. Any word on how Shyenne will be yet? 

16 minutes ago, OgieOgilthorpe said:

The only reason I had DL at 4 is because there really didn't seem to be anyone else below them that should be any better than last season. Any word on how Shyenne will be yet? 

Don't know anything about Sheyenne, but we should get a pretty good idea fairly quickly, as they play Red River next week.  They've got a boatload of seniors, so maybe they'll be a surprise, though they shouldn't have much experience since they're a startup team.  As far as I know, they didn't coop with West Fargo last year, and, even if they did, they would have roughly half of what was a weak West Fargo team from last season.

10 minutes ago, MoSiouxFan said:

Don't know anything about Sheyenne, but we should get a pretty good idea fairly quickly, as they play Red River next week.  They've got a boatload of seniors, so maybe they'll be a surprise, though they shouldn't have much experience since they're a startup team.  As far as I know, they didn't coop with West Fargo last year, and, even if they did, they would have roughly half of what was a weak West Fargo team from last season.

They played a JV schedule last year though right? 

On 11/22/2017 at 12:58 PM, OgieOgilthorpe said:

I'm anxious to see what the North hype is about. They were miserable last season, so even if they had returned every single player, I still don't think they would be any good. Same with south...they lost their top 6 scorers and don't have much else left so I'm curious how they're being ranked higher than last season after they were below .500 even with those 6 guys and their goalie. 

Looks like I  gauged North better most. They got absolutely pumped by century 12-2 last night.

10 hours ago, sioux rube said:

Thursday, November 30th
GF Red River def. WF Sheyenne 12-2
GF Central def. Fargo North 5-2
Fargo Davies def. Fargo South/Shanley 6-1
Minot def. Devils Lake 3-1
Dickinson def. Mandan 3-1

If you had WF Sheyenne and nine goals .... you lost! 

Dickinson seems to be the surprise out West so far. They've put together a few pretty solid showings so far. I'm anxious to see how they match up against Minot and the Bismarck teams. That would be a nice change seeing someone new like that in the mix of the top 3 in the West. When's the last time Dickinson put up more than 10-12 goals on someone, let alone 16?

Mandan isn't as strong as I was expecting them to be. Did they lose anyone early to Jrs?

Davies looks pretty strong as expected. I'm also anxious to see how well they match up against the GF teams. 

Doesn't appear Sheyenne is going to do any damage this year. 

Does South/Shanley have to play Moorhead this year like they usually do? That one would get ugly. 

As poor as they still are, it sure is a pleasant surprise seeing a little glimmer of hope from HB so far this season. I don't care that it was only against JV teams, because they played a lot of those last season and didn't show anything near a glimmer of fight like they have already this season. Positive start for them considering the fate I was anticipating for them. They've already scored more goals than all of last year!

• Upvote 2