SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2017-18

OgieOgilthorpe

49 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

REA announcer said the 1993 GFC Title team was the GFC Knights, they were the Maroon and Grey. Knights wasn’t until the fall of 1994 (94-95 school year).

2-0 GFC 5:35 left 2nd period

What year did they get rid of the Redskins?  That’s what they were when I played. 

3-1 GFC with 4 to go 

2 hours ago, sioux rube said:

What year did they get rid of the Redskins?  That’s what they were when I played. 

3-1 GFC with 4 to go 

It was removed by the school board in June of 1991. I started Central that fall, I got what Redskin stuff I could get from the school store. I still have a jacket and hat that says GFC Redskins with the logo.

Grand Forks and Fargo keep upping the ante by going with a Minnesota bantam league.  Maybe West Fargo Sheyenne can keep up but the Bismarck schools are too far.  Going forward, Central, Red River, Davies and Sheyenne could withdraw and form their own league, and Wahpeton, MayPort, Watford City can join a depleted ND hockey tournament.  The Bismarck schools could own that league then.

5 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Grand Forks and Fargo keep upping the ante by going with a Minnesota bantam league.  Maybe West Fargo Sheyenne can keep up but the Bismarck schools are too far.  Going forward, Central, Red River, Davies and Sheyenne could withdraw and form their own league, and Wahpeton, MayPort, Watford City can join a depleted ND hockey tournament.  The Bismarck schools could own that league then.

Big Sky Realignment 6.2?

On 2/25/2018 at 10:34 AM, SiouxVolley said:

Keep dreaming 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:34 AM, SiouxVolley said:

You realize there is nothing stopping any North Dakota town from travelling over to Minnesota for youth hockey tournaments too.  They could even schedule a trip to one of the gazillion tournaments in Winnipeg each year if they want to increase their level of competition.  There is plenty of competition out there, you just need to schedule it and be willing to drive a few miles.

Bismarck youth hockey teams (as well other ND towns like Devil's Lake) are regulars in tournaments in Fargo and Grand Forks and those tournaments are full of Minnesota teams.  Moorhead tournaments are an option too.   Been to all three places multiple times and those tournaments are a cross section of ND, northern MN, Twin Cities Metro, and Canadian teams.  Travelling for youth hockey, unless you live in the Twin Cities Metro, is a fact of life.

Back to the topic, would be awesome to see the ND State High School tournament on Midco Sports next year.  The South Dakota and Minnesota tournaments have been broadcast the last few years.  BTW Midco, that's a good thing and a big feather in your cap.  Congratulations, and big thank you for bringing those tournaments to us.  You know what's not?  Dropping BTN.  Not a good idea, but that's another subject.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Yote 53 said:

Back to the topic, would be awesome to see the ND State High School tournament on Midco Sports next year.  The South Dakota and Minnesota tournaments have been broadcast the last few years.  BTW Midco, that's a good thing and a big feather in your cap.  Congratulations, and big thank you for bringing those tournaments to us.  You know what's not?  Dropping BTN.  Not a good idea, but that's another subject.

Yeah, I plan on dropping my sports package until CBS starts hockey coverage next year.  There may be unintended consequences by dropping BTN. 

2 hours ago, Yote 53 said:

You realize there is nothing stopping any North Dakota town from travelling over to Minnesota for youth hockey tournaments too.  They could even schedule a trip to one of the gazillion tournaments in Winnipeg each year if they want to increase their level of competition.  There is plenty of competition out there, you just need to schedule it and be willing to drive a few miles.

Bismarck youth hockey teams (as well other ND towns like Devil's Lake) are regulars in tournaments in Fargo and Grand Forks and those tournaments are full of Minnesota teams.  Moorhead tournaments are an option too.   Been to all three places multiple times and those tournaments are a cross section of ND, northern MN, Twin Cities Metro, and Canadian teams.  Travelling for youth hockey, unless you live in the Twin Cities Metro, is a fact of life.

Very true, unfortunately the downside is many parents cringe at hockey (especially being a goalie) due to the fact it is a very expensive sport compared to all the other options.   Double edge sword:  better competition leads to better results, leads to success, success spurs interest.  More travel is more expense.  I have no solution, just wanted to add that. 

Only a few ND cities have their Bantam teams playing top line Minnesota bantam teams.  That was what I was referring to, and Grand Forks does well against that competition.  SD schools would never get invited because their upside seems limited to SW Minnesota schools, which is a garbage league compared to the rest of the state. There are plenty of Minnesota teams that are not top notch.

For hockey, ND should have an AA league like in football, where schools more than 800 or 1000 play.  All others should be ‘A’, which would mean MayPort and Wahpeton and Watford City and maybe Crosby would join can play in that league and have a separate championship.  Grafton is the only team that has broken through the upper tier line and that’s is not happening again for quite a while.  Let schools choose if they want to compete at AA.

There's different levels of traveling.    For Bismarck to play a AA Bantam schedule just isn't a legitimate possibility.  Playing Bantam A is a palatable option for them.  This year Minot's Bantam A team was better than (beat them twice this weekend) Fargo's AA team.  Bantam A isn't the end of the world.   GF is up an entire level from either.

I can't see having high schools leave the state league.

9 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

Only a few ND cities have their Bantam teams playing top line Minnesota bantam teams.  That was what I was referring to, and Grand Forks does well against that competition.  SD schools would never get invited because their upside seems limited to SW Minnesota schools, which is a garbage league compared to the rest of the state. There are plenty of Minnesota teams that are not top notch.

For hockey, ND should have an AA league like in football, where schools more than 800 or 1000 play.  All others should be ‘A’, which would mean MayPort and Wahpeton and Watford City and maybe Crosby would join can play in that league and have a separate championship.  Grafton is the only team that has broken through the upper tier line and that’s is not happening again for quite a while.  Let schools choose if they want to compete at AA.

It's coming.....It's just a matter of how they split the divisions. Right now they are looking at two, ten team, divisions.....AA&A.

20 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

It's coming.....It's just a matter of how they split the divisions. Right now they are looking at two, ten team, divisions.....AA&A.

Are you in the know or just channeling your inner nostradmus?  or inner starman as the case may be?

6 minutes ago, iluvdebbies said:

That would be a tough split.   The bottom of the top 10 would be screwed.  You throw a Jamestown, Mandan, Dickinson... in the top group and they may go literally years without winning a league game.  Would it be based on attendance or historical quality of team?

58 minutes ago, SiouxVolley said:

South Dakota hockey teams are not very good, and they are getting worse.  The state changed the age bands to comply with USA Hockey, a mistake, IMO, because it will make it even harder to compete with ND and MN teams and SD should want access to playing good, competitive programs from ND and MN.  The problem is the youth teams, when they travel out of state, play down as much as they can.  You have programs like Sioux Falls who will send their top teams to Minnesota B2 tournaments.  Sioux Falls has a HUGE number of kids playing in the program.  I'm talking about the same size or maybe larger than FYHA, but you would never know that by looking at the quality of play.  I understand Sioux Falls now fields "Gold" teams that play MN A, but we'll see how long that lasts.  It just seems to be a race to keep everybody the same in that state so everybody can be even for state league play.  It's a very insulated hockey culture and any player that aspires to play at a high level, the only option is the AAA Jr. Stampede. 

SW Minnesota is getting a lot better at hockey.  In recent years you've had Luverne coming out.  LDC won Section 3A this year and they have some good young players coming through.  If you look at the Minnesota youth A rankings you will see a surge of southern Minnesota towns in the rankings the last several years.  Hockey is a numbers game and there are more kids playing in southern MN towns.  Would not shock me to see a Class A champ from Section 1A or 3A in the next few years.  Class AA is for the Metro schools, Section 7AA and Section 8AA.  Unless something seriously changes in Rochester, the farthest south a AA contender could come from would be Lakeville or Farmington, and I consider those Metro.

For every other ND town not named Grand Forks or Fargo I agree that there is nothing wrong with Bantam A hockey.  Technically, it is all supposed to be A hockey and then breaks down into AA/A for MN State tournament play, but we all knew what was going to happen once the cat got out of the bag.  I was just saying in my original post that NoDak towns have the opportunity to travel east to play just like anybody else.

59 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

That would be a tough split.   The bottom of the top 10 would be screwed.  You throw a Jamestown, Mandan, Dickinson... in the top group and they may go literally years without winning a league game.  Would it be based on attendance or historical quality of team?

I was talking with an AD who  has been in on the discussions......he told me Jamestown has quite a few, co-ops which gives them a large enrollment. So if it was strictly enrollment they might be top ten. It will be a tough call.....but I think it happens eventually. What the criteria wil be....who knows.