SiouxSports.com Forum

ND High School Hockey 2017-18

OgieOgilthorpe

Century has made a believer out of me.  They sure didn’t look like much when I saw them lose to South three weeks ago.

Central looked like they could name the score after they picked apart Red River last night.  They seem to be peaking.

I hope to make it home to catch the title in its entirety - crossing the river first to watch Moorhead in the Section 8AA semifinals.  Magical time of year.

14 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Sioux Rube,  do you think the combined teams in GF, Fargo, WF are in response to having to compete with the Bismarck super team?   I do, but I am far from the Holiday Inn Express today...

It’s a complete joke in Bismarck. They say they don’t have the numbers yet they have a U19 team that would be in the state high school tourney if they played a high school schedule. Like I’ve said before my last 2 years coaching Jamestown we had 11 girls in the team and finished 5th and 4th at state. In Bismarck it’s all about winning and not building the game. 

• Upvote 1

I agree 100%, I suspect or wonder actually if the GF combined, WF United, and Fargo North South are a direct response to Bismarck's selfish bullcrap.  Perhaps those schools just had a wain in interest because they knew the super team would be thumping them... '

It will always be little guy vs, big guy but this is a crappy deal, of course no one cares because it is girls. 

11 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

I agree 100%, I suspect or wonder actually if the GF combined, WF United, and Fargo North South are a direct response to Bismarck's selfish bullcrap.  Perhaps those schools just had a wain in interest because they knew the super team would be thumping them... '

It will always be little guy vs, big guy but this is a crappy deal, of course no one cares because it is girls. 

I can't speak for other towns, but there is zero chance Central would ever be able to field a separate girls team with the current high school boundary in Grand Forks. Boys hockey is a different deal due to the fact that GF produces such a large number of good players (the vast majority of whom live in the RR district) and a lot of them choose to go to Central despite not living in the district. You generally don't see that in any other sports. The disparity between Central and Red River is most obvious in girls team sports, such as basketball and volleyball. Unless the boundary changes to split Grand Forks east-west rather than north-south, the deck will always be stacked against Central and in favor of Red River.

22 minutes ago, UND92,96 said:

I can't speak for other towns, but there is zero chance Central would ever be able to field a separate girls team with the current high school boundary in Grand Forks. Boys hockey is a different deal due to the fact that GF produces such a large number of good players (the vast majority of whom live in the RR district) and a lot of them choose to go to Central despite not living in the district. You generally don't see that in any other sports. The disparity between Central and Red River is most obvious in girls team sports, such as basketball and volleyball. Unless the boundary changes to split Grand Forks east-west rather than north-south, the deck will always be stacked against Central and in favor of Red River.

Won't the Olympic results spur a growth of girls high school hockey in Grand Forks?

57 minutes ago, sioux rube said:

It’s a complete joke in Bismarck. They say they don’t have the numbers yet they have a U19 team that would be in the state high school tourney if they played a high school schedule. Like I’ve said before my last 2 years coaching Jamestown we had 11 girls in the team and finished 5th and 4th at state. In Bismarck it’s all about winning and not building the game. 

How much of that was your daughter dominating? Honest question. No snark. Go Jays.

She was a freshman I think when I was a senior. Remember seeing her name a good bit. 

55 minutes ago, MafiaMan said:

Won't the Olympic results spur a growth of girls high school hockey in Grand Forks?

I suspect it will help some, but even if it gets to the point where GF has enough players to  hypothetically field two teams, 80% or more of them will likely be at Red River, so it would still probably be necessary to have one combined team for the foreseeable future. Unless the boundary changes, anyway. And I'm not holding my breath that that happens anytime soon.

Before Curl was at Bismarck they were not dominate by any definition.  Look through the past champions and records.  Minus Curl they don’t win this year.  

I don’t understand why GF doesnt have a couple very high level girls each class.  It really only takes 2-3 about averages girls to have a very competitive team.