SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (1-0) vs Hawaii (1-0) 11/12 9 PM (OUTRIGGER HOTELS RAINBOW CLASSIC Day 2)

SWSiouxMN

A 2nd half performance for the ages by Geno Crandall help to propel UND to a solid victory over Troy to open the season.  Now UND looks to make it a 2-0 start as they take on the Host Hawaii, who took down Ark-PB.  

Hawaii is lead by 3rd year coach Eran Ganot, who has done a solid job for the Warriors, especially navigating them through the sanctions laid on them by the NCAA by the actions of the previous coach Gib Arnold.  This will be last year of the scholarship reductions but they did score a victory last year when they were allowed to patriciate in post-season play.  They overachieved a bit last year due to the sanctions.  They were picked 5th in the rugged Big West preseason, but I wouldn't be shocked if they finished even higher.  

History: 3rd all time meeting between the two schools, the last meeting came in 2012 when UNDs furious comeback came up just short in a 71-66 defeat. The all time series is tied a one a piece. 

Players to watch: Jack Purchase Forward 6'9  215

The redshirt Junior is one of the better players in the Big West, the Auburn transfer from Australia is a strong inside-outside player.  Started off his season with 18 points, 4 rebounds, and 8 assists in their 82-70 win over Ark-PB.  

Gibson Johnson Forward 6'6 220

The senior provides them with a decent traditional big man, he had 19 points and 9 boards and 5 assists in the game against Ark-PB.  Avants is going to have to do a great job in keeping him off the boards and defending him on the inside.  

Looking at Hawaii, the strength of this team is definitely within their bigs, so UND is going to have to be strong on both ends rebounding the basketball.  Avants and Jones is going to have to play solid post defense and they both need to give UND some production from their bigs.  Jones was okay, but Avants needs to try and get more production offensively.  While Geno had an amazing performance, UND does need to get a little more from Stewart and Seales.  Buchanan and Kinsey provided a bit of a spark off the bench, hopefully they can do the exact same thing. I do think the one area where UND can take advantage is with the guards. 

The call:

I think Hawaii will be a similar test as Troy was in game one.  I don't think Geno will need to score 40 points in this one as Seales gets back into a bit of a rhythm, but I do think that Hawaii's bigs will be too much for UND to overcome and UND is still trying to figure itself out.  This game is the equivalent of house money.   Not the worst thing if UND loses, but they would have two solid victories if they can get one tonight.

Hawaii 79-72

Like to see Stewart show why he is starting...Buchanan and kinsey looked better vs Troy...juco McCauley like for him to show why he was a top 60 juco kid...Walters to show we have an ok backup 5...Jones to shoot the 3 ball like he did in juco where he hit a very impressive 45% from three as a high volume shooter