SiouxSports.com Forum

Bring Back the Interlocking ND

zonadub

As I watch other college football games this season, I have noticed that by an overwhelming percentage, most (not all, of course) flagship schools in their respective states have the initial of the state on their helmet. (think Minnesota, Wisconsin. Nebraska, Alabama. Arizona, Oregon, Washington, even South Dakota) This is also true of the jerseys of the state schools that sponsor hockey.

The 'State U' teams like NDSU have the logo or their mascot on their helmet. (Jackrabbits, Sun Devils, etc). Of course, Montana goes their own way and MSU has an M, the Griz have their team name.

The interlocking ND is infinitely better than the post office logo UND currently uses. As for confusion with the other ND? They don't have the letters on their golden domes.

bring back the ND

image.png

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

The Hawk logo is staying and the hockey only fans will just have to suck it up. They are the only ones who constantly bitch and moan about the Hawk logo. I doubt you are going to hear much of a peep at the Betty during basketball season, but it seems like the REA is the only arena where the logo is a problem. 

• Downvote 8

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

The interlocking ND is infinitely better than the post office logo UND currently uses. As for confusion with the other ND? They don't have the letters on their golden domes.

It had virtually nothing to do with helmets on the field, and virtually everything to do with merchandise and marketing. That's a none too subtle distinction, especially since the latter is where the money is to be made.

Dislike the new logo all you want, but don't kid yourself into thinking the interlocking was ever going to be a long-term solution, ESPECIALLY once UND went to D1.  Using another school's logo is a high school move, not something big time college programs do.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, darell1976 said:

The Hawk logo is staying and the hockey only fans will just have to suck it up. They are the only ones who constantly bitch and moan about the Hawk logo. I doubt you are going to hear much of a peep at the Betty during basketball season, but it seems like the REA is the only arena where the logo is a problem. 

I am not a hockey only fan. Actually a football first fan.

we have a regular golf group with alums from Notre Dame, Michigan, Iowa State. None of them care about their hockey teams. After football, they follow basketball and even the Michigan grads don't care about the hockey team.

The Notre Dame alums had an interlocking ND front license plate that was often confused with North Dakota. (big border patrol presence here in southern Arizona, some transfers from the northern border) Some of them would ask when they were at UND.

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

The Notre Dame alums had an interlocking ND front license plate that was often confused with North Dakota. (big border patrol presence here in southern Arizona, some transfers from the northern border) Some of them would ask when they were at UND.

FFS, just last night you said there wouldn't be any confusion. You just proved my entire point.

Thank you?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

FFS, just last night you said there wouldn't be any confusion. You just proved my entire point.

Thank you?

OK, you win. I can't tell the Minnesota 'M' from the Michigan 'M' from the Maryland 'M' from the Missouri 'M' from the Montana State 'M'  either.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, zonadub said:

OK, you win. I can't tell the Minnesota 'M' from the Michigan 'M' from the Maryland 'M' from the Missouri 'M' from the Montana State 'M'  either.

Okay, I'll play along.

We first have to concede that single letters present a materially different scenario than two-letter combinations. Even then, the Minnesota M is markedly different from the others, and Maryland's includes a turtle. Color and secondary marks help distinguish the others, as does context. And who's to say what fans of those schools think is confusing or not.

With two-letter combos, it's much easier to differentiate. There are on-center interlocks, off-center interlocks, side-by-side, top-and-bottom, diagonal up, diagonal down, script, italicized. Putting a block N right squarely over a block D is hardly the only solution, but it happens to be Notre Dame's registered trademark. Use it and there will be confusion, as you know first-hand.

If the goal is avoiding confusion, you have to do something. Picking a unique logo is a good start.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, zonadub said:

..........says the man who is color blind! ;)

7 hours ago, zonadub said:

North Dakota had the interlocking ND first. Notre Dame copied UND.

i remember seeing a picture of a Minnesota vs North Dakota football game from the 20's or 30's where the band at halftime formed then interlocking ND.

Notre Dame trademarked the logo first so that makes them owner of the logo. 

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

Okay, I'll play along.

We first have to concede that single letters present a materially different scenario than two-letter combinations. Even then, the Minnesota M is markedly different from the others, and Maryland's includes a turtle. Color and secondary marks help distinguish the others, as does context. And who's to say what fans of those schools think is confusing or not.

With two-letter combos, it's much easier to differentiate. There are on-center interlocks, off-center interlocks, side-by-side, top-and-bottom, diagonal up, diagonal down, script, italicized. Putting a block N right squarely over a block D is hardly the only solution, but it happens to be Notre Dame's registered trademark. Use it and there will be confusion, as you know first-hand.

If the goal is avoiding confusion, you have to do something. Picking a unique logo is a good start.

My grandma confuses our new logo with the dove on the front of the  Portals of Prayer daily devotional.  

• Upvote 3

So I have a question. What's the difference between the "like" and "upvote" button?

Signed,

Confused and conflicted

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, darell1976 said:

Notre Dame trademarked the logo first so that makes them owner of the logo. 

And that is the reason why the interlock will not come back. 

I know some don't like the new logo; however, the "ND" is in there. Not my fault that not all can see it. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, runaroundsioux said:

So I have a question. What's the difference between the "like" and "upvote" button?

Signed,

Confused and conflicted

I feel like the "upvote" is the "like (ie: Facebook)" and the "like" is the "love (ie: Facebook)" .... so if you like something, upvote it.... if you love it, like it.... we're clear, right? :unsure::lol:

3 hours ago, FGHTNSX Hawkey14 said:

I don't think trademark should be a problem now, as it wasn't before. I believe we actually have an agreement w Notre Dame (but don't hold me to that)

When did Notre Dame get the trademark? Decades ago most likely. Did ND ever tell UND to stop using it? It would seem no 

It means a lot to the athletes who wore it.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 1:13 AM, darell1976 said:

"Stupid childish comments like that constantly are getting old."  UND-1

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On November 12, 2017 at 1:14 AM, NoiseInsideMyHead said:

It had virtually nothing to do with helmets on the field, and virtually everything to do with merchandise and marketing. That's a none too subtle distinction, especially since the latter is where the money is to be made.

Dislike the new logo all you want, but don't kid yourself into thinking the interlocking was ever going to be a long-term solution, ESPECIALLY once UND went to D1.  Using another school's logo is a high school move, not something big time college programs do.

People are still trying to bring the nickname back. A waste of time or do you think they should  keep trying?  If Standing Rock would have voted this would  not be an issue. 

What does the state think of the Fighting Sioux Indian head? It's coming off the Highway Patrol cars. Should we have a replacement for that on the cars? How about the Bison Head. Hooven just made the Bison the national animal. NDSU the states flagship U in progress.

• Downvote 2

On 11/13/2017 at 5:22 PM, moser53 said:

People are still trying to bring the nickname back. A waste of time or do you think they should  keep trying?  If Standing Rock would have voted this would  not be an issue. 

What does the state think of the Fighting Sioux Indian head? It's coming off the Highway Patrol cars. Should we have a replacement for that on the cars? How about the Bison Head. Hooven just made the Bison the national animal. NDSU the states flagship U in progress.

You sure about that? Brand New car!

IMG_20171115_070749.jpg