SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season for attendance

SiouxVolley

Thought it would be interesting what kind of support TSL schools have for their volleyball.  Think now UND has made a name regionally for itself with its attendance and facilities so talent naturally wants to come here if no P5 offer is coming..

Avg attendance

Denver ~600

IPFW       472 -doubt they will be in the league

Omaha  1524 - inflated due to the Cornhuskers playing at Baxter and bringing most of the 5300 fans and Omaha hosting Kansas St and UNI

NDSU    762

ORU       580

SDSU    351

USD       540

WIU    <300

UND     1399

If UND can keep attendance at 1000 or higher, better recruits will want to come.  Like to see a 2000 average someday.

It's funny how recently we were hoping for a 1000.  On Thursday when I went I was disappointed because wasn't as busy in the lobby and I guess only like 1350 were there. 

I think next year we will be averaging over 1500 and have more than just the fargo school as an over 2000 attended game.  However it will be interesting to see how attendance does if we struggle with losing 4 starters.  

10 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

Nice article on UND's increasing volleyball attendance.  Think the upper limit is greater than UNI's, which has to compete with P5 schools. Wichita St is a better model, but we need some postseason victories.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4360243-und-volleyballs-success-attracts-impressive-fan-following

Yes, great article.  I love hearing Pryor's vision and philosophy.  I was a little skeptical with him at first, but last year's late season dominance made me a believer.

It is a great article.  I try go. and my family goes, and we all love it when we do. But we all go for free.  Because of Champions Club.  I think there at least should have been attendance v. paid attendance discussion.  Because that's really the next step needed.  Paid Attendance.  Yeah, that's great if you are getting great attendance but if no one is buying hardly any tickets, are you really helping the bottom line of the sports cost.  Trust me I like Volleyball, and I think it's great that we are continuing to do well, but I think it's important to put attendance into perspective with that sport right now.  Paid attendance is > than attendance, in the end.  With our athletic budget having been at the forefront of discussion for approximately the last 18 plus months, it's easy to gloss over the details and focus on the niceness of the story, but as those last several months have shown us, we had best be concerned about bottom line numbers. 

Now with that little qualifier out of the way.  I will be following and cheering for our success today.

36 minutes ago, the green team said:

It is a great article.  I try go. and my family goes, and we all love it when we do. But we all go for free.  Because of Champions Club.  I think there at least should have been attendance v. paid attendance discussion.  Because that's really the next step needed.  Paid Attendance.  Yeah, that's great if you are getting great attendance but if no one is buying hardly any tickets, are you really helping the bottom line of the sports cost.  Trust me I like Volleyball, and I think it's great that we are continuing to do well, but I think it's important to put attendance into perspective with that sport right now.  Paid attendance is > than attendance, in the end.  With our athletic budget having been at the forefront of discussion for approximately the last 18 plus months, it's easy to gloss over the details and focus on the niceness of the story, but as those last several months have shown us, we had best be concerned about bottom line numbers. 

Now with that little qualifier out of the way.  I will be following and cheering for our success today.

With the growth in popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging an nominal amount ($5?) for volleyball in the future for Champions Club members. I'd be more than happy to pay it, it is quality entertainment.

I will note that there were no free tickets for the NDSU game, so they at least got a little bit of revenue out of that one.

10 hours ago, jdub27 said:

With the growth in popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if they started charging an nominal amount ($5?) for volleyball in the future for Champions Club members. I'd be more than happy to pay it, it is quality entertainment.

I will note that there were no free tickets for the NDSU game, so they at least got a little bit of revenue out of that one.

I'm not worried about champions club being free.  Not many get multiple freebies to bring everyone in family.  I watch a lot of people pay in line.  I have feeling south dakota schools will be pay to watch as well.  

And I think most (like me) are much more likely to buy concessions or beer or a program knowing they didn't pay to get into game.  Speaking of program, I wish there was an insert with more stats and that it was updated for the Saturday matches.

Nice to see how strong UND volleyball is with its good attendance. Volleyball used to be an after thought in its DII days. It was football, hockey and basketball back then. Now volleyball has become our 5th well attended sport, we need to keep a strong coaching staff which we do and keep recruiting gems both local and non-local. Go Fighting Hawks!!