SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Idaho is NOT better than Sam Houston. If UND can get a win versus Sam Houston, then the Idaho game should also be a win.

Also, a loss versus Northern Arizona? Maybe with injuries late in the season I could see loss of progress. 

Depth concerns.  And teams have been known to beat better teams and lose to worse teams.  Besides, we won't know for sure which of the two will be better until the end of the year! 

26 minutes ago, AJS said:

Just for the sake of conversation and to dig even further into my list of concerns: My hope for fall camp at a minimum would be for the following to emerge.

O-Line: Feel fine with Mortel, Tobin, Rooney, Aplin & Nguon. Need at a minimum one guard and one tackle to emerge as a real quality depth player,

Safety: Need Lenny / Canady to be the guys and adequate starters. At a minimum one quality back up.

OLB: Need one guy to be a solid 4th (after Palmberg, Turner, Lawrence)

D-Line: Need two of the freshman to be ready from Day 1

Don’t sleep on Shannon.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, zonadub said:

Why is everybody (except Goon) picking Idaho? Just because they were FBS last year? Is there something in their pre-season analysis that says they are the team to beat this year in the Big Sky? Just asking?

I think it's because they were FBS last year and because it's on the road.  We know we aren't going to go undefeated and are more likely to lose on the road verses at home, so the Sam Houston, Idaho, and NAU games in most peoples eyes are the most likely games that could be losses.  Some are saying Montana too.  Although we have Montana at home and they are going through some changes and have some concerns of their own.  To me that game is almost a must win game.  An improved Sac St road game certainly is no gimme either.  None of our games other than the first one are a gimme. 

1 hour ago, zonadub said:

Why is everybody (except Goon) picking Idaho? Just because they were FBS last year? Is there something in their pre-season analysis that says they are the team to beat this year in the Big Sky? Just asking?

Gut feeling for me. 

2018 season

MVSU------W----pick a score---this is a game that will not give any indication on how good or bad 2018 will go (Delta Devils are terrible----but its a win and counts toward a possible playoff appearance)

Washington-----L-------Need to make this somewhat respectable (not into moral victories at all), but this is a tough road game against a Pac12 team (and a very good program)------a complete collapse in this game wouldn't be a good sign for 2018 (but still early season and plenty of time to rebound)

SHSU----------L----------This is a winnable game (if UND can control the line of scrimmage and keep Sam's offense on the sideline)----I think this game will be the game that will determine how the season will go for UND (injuries pending)-----gut tells me its a loss on the road

Idaho St.--------W------At home this should be at least a 14 point plus W-----Idaho St. was 4-7 last year and not a good defense at all

Northern Colorado------W----another bad defensive team a year ago, should be a W------need to put this game out of reach in the 3Q

Montana-------L--------This is another game that is winnable (going with the Grizz and their tradition of winning)---UND finds a way to win this game its an early step into the playoffs------24 point loss last year, & I think the Grizz will be better (so will UND)

Sacramento St.-------W-----This wont be easy, the Hornets had the 5th best offense in the country last year and on the road out west is always tough, need a W, good, bad, ugly, just find a way to get the W in this one

Weber St.--------L-------This could be a top 5 team in the country and will take a great effort to pull off an upset at home. Keep it close and see if you can find a way to win this late in the game.

Idaho-------L----------Hard to say how this will go, on the road, giving the edge to the Vandals

Portland St.------W--------Should be an easy win

Northern Arizona------W----------I have this as a win, but will come up a bit short for a playoff bid?

6-5 overall

(4-5  games that could either way), best case will be 8-3 and a playoff lock.

Worst case would be 3-8 or 4-7 (not likely unless injuries are heavy). Need to start building program into winning seasons, this year will be interesting, plenty of competitive games that could go either way (I'm thinking at least a year away----just my prediction)

33 minutes ago, SkoHawks said:

2018 Prediction: 11-0, #1 seed, get upset in the first round of the playoffs.............Just trying to find out a more demoralizing way of ending this season than 2016 and 2017 combined..

First round?

Wouldn't we be eating popcorn, drinking beer, watching 16 other teams playing and trying to be able to play us in the next week or so?

2 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

First round?

Wouldn't we be eating popcorn, drinking beer, watching 16 other teams playing and trying to be able to play us in the next week or so?

true, technically 2nd round.......doesn't make me feel any better.....

I do feel like we will go 9-2 or 8-3 and put ourselves back on the map in the regular season. I'm just hoping it was a combination of extremely bad luck on injuries and being too early in the upcoming to have enough depth.  The depth chart having young OL in it hopefully says more about the strength of the 2016 class, as well as the potential of the 2017-18 classes more so than our OL being weak.  DL should be back after somewhat of a disappointing 2017.  ILB is worlds better, OLB has enough athletes to be good.  More experience at CB.  RB as good as it ever has been, QB competition should lead to better QB play.  WR has the provens in Toivonen/Wanzek/Stanley(hopefully) plus Maag ( who I thought was a huge get since he committed and I watched his tape.....hopefully Kenny Golladay 2.0, but stays 4 years.  And we've added the speedsters in Izzy/Greibel/McKinney, now's the time for them to produce.  TE's.......potentially the best kept secret in FCS since we don't use them enough in the passing game.

8 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I am worried about the reaction of some of the posters on this site if we lose the Sam Houston game. Too many people here seem to think that this is THE game that will set the tone for the season, and if we lose the game than all hope is lost for the year. Can the Hawks win? Absolutely. But be realistic about the chances. Losing the game does not mean the end of the season, or end of our playoff hopes. 

This.

I'm on the pretty opposite side of the spectrum on this game in particular, because I don't really think UND has a shot. Far from impossible, but just can't picture them going down and beating them type deals. That being said, if they can be competitive, I think that's a good sign for the rest of the year.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

I am worried about the reaction of some of the posters on this site if we lose the Sam Houston game. Too many people here seem to think that this is THE game that will set the tone for the season, and if we lose the game than all hope is lost for the year. Can the Hawks win? Absolutely. But be realistic about the chances. Losing the game does not mean the end of the season, or end of our playoff hopes. 

Agreed!

1 hour ago, Ozzie82 said:

I think there are a number of us that think we can pull off the upset, but if we don't....won't feel like the season is lost by any means.   It will definitely set a great tone if we do pull off the upset.  If we lose, it will depend how the game goes.  If they spank us 45-17 well yeah that will set a pretty bad tone and will be an eye opener that we still have quite a ways to go.  If we lose 45-38 I will be disappointed but at the same time pretty hopeful for the rest of the year if we took a take a top 5 team to the 4th quarter on the road.  All is not lost if we lose though....totally agree.  

8 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our style of play is just as much a problem for them as their style of play is for us

I would feel much better if we lose by a score of 17-14.  That would mean pressure on the QB, Stopping the Run and DB's playing tough.

1 minute ago, Nodak78 said:

I would feel much better if we lose by a score of 17-14.  That would mean pressure on the QB, Stopping the Run and DB's playing tough.

I agree.  Not stopping the run and not getting home on blitzes killed the defense last season . Should be much better this season with everyone healthy.

WAS going to wait until MV St. game was in the books, but it is an entertaining thread today, so I will share this early....SHSU is very concerned about the matchup for their lack of depth/experience at key spots and the fact that those starters may realistically only have a half a game under their belt coming into OUR game.  They hope Washington will have kept us in some ice-packs til about Wed./Thurs. the week of our game. On their upside they are confident of the probable speed/quickness advantage, but concerned on the physicality side. An in all...they ABSOLUTELY expect  a close one and hope it is at a track meet pace with high score and are GLAD it is at home. .......Doubt I will get much more intel/ details til post game (which will also be interesting to get their honest take on UND)....Nothing earth shaking, just some pre-season thoughts/info.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Stand4Anthem said:

2018 season

MVSU------W----pick a score---this is a game that will not give any indication on how good or bad 2018 will go (Delta Devils are terrible----but its a win and counts toward a possible playoff appearance)

Washington-----L-------Need to make this somewhat respectable (not into moral victories at all), but this is a tough road game against a Pac12 team (and a very good program)------a complete collapse in this game wouldn't be a good sign for 2018 (but still early season and plenty of time to rebound)

SHSU----------L----------This is a winnable game (if UND can control the line of scrimmage and keep Sam's offense on the sideline)----I think this game will be the game that will determine how the season will go for UND (injuries pending)-----gut tells me its a loss on the road

Idaho St.--------W------At home this should be at least a 14 point plus W-----Idaho St. was 4-7 last year and not a good defense at all

Northern Colorado------W----another bad defensive team a year ago, should be a W------need to put this game out of reach in the 3Q

Montana-------L--------This is another game that is winnable (going with the Grizz and their tradition of winning)---UND finds a way to win this game its an early step into the playoffs------24 point loss last year, & I think the Grizz will be better (so will UND)

Sacramento St.-------W-----This wont be easy, the Hornets had the 5th best offense in the country last year and on the road out west is always tough, need a W, good, bad, ugly, just find a way to get the W in this one

Weber St.--------L-------This could be a top 5 team in the country and will take a great effort to pull off an upset at home. Keep it close and see if you can find a way to win this late in the game.

Idaho-------L----------Hard to say how this will go, on the road, giving the edge to the Vandals

Portland St.------W--------Should be an easy win

Northern Arizona------W----------I have this as a win, but will come up a bit short for a playoff bid?

6-5 overall

(4-5  games that could either way), best case will be 8-3 and a playoff lock.

Worst case would be 3-8 or 4-7 (not likely unless injuries are heavy). Need to start building program into winning seasons, this year will be interesting, plenty of competitive games that could go either way (I'm thinking at least a year away----just my prediction)

You saved me some typing, but flip the Montana game.  The year we didn't play Montana, they were crappy, and the last 2 games we did play them, both on the road, we didn't have a prepared QB and could not have played worse.  Montana isn't that good and we get them at the Alerus, just about guaranteeing this is a W.  

1st game - too easy

2nd game - too hard

Sam H. - Nothing leads me to believe we have the maturity, preparation, experience, or the schematics to go down and make this close.  I have a feeling Sam H. is going to take out the NDSU poundings on us.

at 1-2 we play better to finish the year at 7-4.  If our losses can be quality ones, especially against Sam H. and Washington, then we get in.  If they aren't, then we are out of the playoffs.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

I think we should expect to win versus ANY FCS opponent. If UND loses to Sam Houston State, so be it, everyone outside of UND expects that. But those within the program need to expect to win or else ... well, you all know but only some will actually express it. 

Realistically (ie conservatively) UND will be expected to go approximately 6-5 this season (5 to 7 wins). That would mean no playoffs for 2nd consecutive season during year 5 of current coaching regime. I don’t think UND football, given its alumni base, fans, facilities, and tradition should ever consider a non-playoff season a successful season. If lack of playoffs becomes the norm, well, yeah ...

Fan inside me says UND surprises, wins 8 games, and makes postseason. 

Realisitically/conservatively looking at schedule, though, I see UND missing playoffs making it 4 of 5 previous seasons a dud ...

• Upvote 1