SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

33 minutes ago, nd1sufan said:

Maybe just maybe, spolier alert, UNDFB360 will post about how UND secretly beat out NDSU on all of their recruits and had to fend of last ditch efforts by Kliemen to flip them. And then when they stuck with UND, Kliemen gave them the middle finger. 

Doubt they'd do that since they know it would just continue to encourage FargoU fanboys to stalk and go after recruits on social media. There's anyway enough of that going on the way it is. 

8 hours ago, nd1sufan said:

Heard that 4 years ago when Bubba was hired. NDSU better watch out, Bubba will own the state, he is a ND boy after all. It hasn't happened yet. Maybe we just don't know it has happened yet. Maybe just maybe, spolier alert, UNDFB360 will post about how UND secretly beat out NDSU on all of their recruits and had to fend of last ditch efforts by Kliemen to flip them. And then when they stuck with UND, Kliemen gave them the middle finger. 

Weren't Bison fans gloating how they could take on the MVFC by beating up MAC teams and the Gophers while in the GWFC when accepted into the MVFC , then sh*t the bed the first 2 years going 6-5 (4-4), and 3-8 (2-6). You guys didn't become relevant until 2011. Even in 2010 you went 4-4 in the conference. So why are you acting like the MVFC is the SEC? We won the Big Sky in 2016, we won the GWFC in 2011, we won the NCC (over you guys) multiple times, we know how to win a conference and your conference is no different. We beat UNI while we were in DII, your conference mates aren't Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Army coach was talking about how his team didn't pass once in a game this year and averaged 3 passes. Here's the thing-the other team KNEW they weren't passing and still couldn't stop them. Sometimes execution is more important than play calling.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, shep said:

Army coach was talking about how his team didn't pass once in a game this year and averaged 3 passes. Here's the thing-the other team KNEW they weren't passing and still couldn't stop them. Sometimes execution is more important than play calling.

Sometimes predictability makes execution nearly impossible. 

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, iramurphy said:

This is as good of a thread to post this as any.  I attended the Army Navy game this year and watched the Army and Navy Bowl games.  Up to  the early and mid 1960's they were both National powers.  The Vietnam War certainly changed the thoughts of many athletes who might otherwise have considered attending one of the Academies and playing FB.  The 5 yr post grad military commitment and decreased NFL opportunities remained a factor.  Army, Navy and Air Force  also have height and weight requirements that have affected the size of their linemen.  The recent  frequent deployments to the Middle East hell holes for active duty military are not great selling points either.  The linemen for the Academies tend to be smaller than most FBS teams yet both Army and Navy have had two of the best running teams in then nation for some time. Air Force also has a multiple read option run game if I am not mistakes but I didn't see them this year.  They have athletic QB's and multiple RB's who are on the field at the same time. Army's QB Bradshaw can't pass worth a lick .  Navy's Malcolm Perry is very quick,and very fast but also doesn't pass very well.  Their other QB Zach Abey is a great athlete who can run and isn't a bad passer.  I think Studsrud would have been a much better QB with their multiple read option run game and is as good or better passer than these QB's. Take a look at the schemes these two teams run and I think that would be a very effective way to utilize our RB's. If you have an athletic QB who can pass, we would be a bitch to defend.  These teams utilize smaller more athletic linemen very effectively. Big athletic linemen would be even better but it would be a way to better utilize our stable of outstanding RB's.  Also a good scheme to utilize the athletic TE's.  I bet Gundy  could help Bubba draw up some nice sets where we have Johannesson, Olivera,  Santiago and Gordon on the field at the same time.  Heck, if we don't find a stud QB, put Santiago at QB and use him like Navy did with Perry.  It's a fun scheme to watch and tougher to stop. I rather see something like this than a single back running up the middle against 9 in the box.  This can get 9 in the box but still hard to stop. 

Execution and discipline goes a long way when running flex triple option football. The military academies are well versed in this. Unfortunately, the complete lack of a passing game does usually cost the military academies at least a couple games each and very season. It's a tough style to be successful with when you're suddenly down a few scores. 

16 hours ago, iramurphy said:

This is as good of a thread to post this as any.  I attended the Army Navy game this year and watched the Army and Navy Bowl games.  Up to  the early and mid 1960's they were both National powers.  The Vietnam War certainly changed the thoughts of many athletes who might otherwise have considered attending one of the Academies and playing FB.  The 5 yr post grad military commitment and decreased NFL opportunities remained a factor.  Army, Navy and Air Force  also have height and weight requirements that have affected the size of their linemen.  The recent  frequent deployments to the Middle East hell holes for active duty military are not great selling points either.  The linemen for the Academies tend to be smaller than most FBS teams yet both Army and Navy have had two of the best running teams in then nation for some time. Air Force also has a multiple read option run game if I am not mistakes but I didn't see them this year.  They have athletic QB's and multiple RB's who are on the field at the same time. Army's QB Bradshaw can't pass worth a lick .  Navy's Malcolm Perry is very quick,and very fast but also doesn't pass very well.  Their other QB Zach Abey is a great athlete who can run and isn't a bad passer.  I think Studsrud would have been a much better QB with their multiple read option run game and is as good or better passer than these QB's. Take a look at the schemes these two teams run and I think that would be a very effective way to utilize our RB's. If you have an athletic QB who can pass, we would be a bitch to defend.  These teams utilize smaller more athletic linemen very effectively. Big athletic linemen would be even better but it would be a way to better utilize our stable of outstanding RB's.  Also a good scheme to utilize the athletic TE's.  I bet Gundy  could help Bubba draw up some nice sets where we have Johannesson, Olivera,  Santiago and Gordon on the field at the same time.  Heck, if we don't find a stud QB, put Santiago at QB and use him like Navy did with Perry.  It's a fun scheme to watch and tougher to stop. I rather see something like this than a single back running up the middle against 9 in the box.  This can get 9 in the box but still hard to stop. 

I couldn't agree more with your assessment.  I watched most of the game too - and what struck me was the absolute misuse of our talented group of running backs (even with our line troubles).  Bubba's endorsement of a clueless O coordinator frustrates me to no end.  So many things are possible and still have a ball control clock eating offense.  Time for this coaching staff to get a clue.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Irish said:

I couldn't agree more with your assessment.  I watched most of the game too - and what struck me was the absolute misuse of our talented group of running backs (even with our line troubles).  Bubba's endorsement of a clueless O coordinator frustrates me to no end.  So many things are possible and still have a ball control clock eating offense.  Time for this coaching staff to get a clue.

From this article: http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/4380449-vikings-offensive-humming-shurmur-line-second-chance-head-coaching-job

I found this to be interesting...

Zimmer said a key for Shurmur has been tailoring the offense to the strengths of the players available. After Bradford was hurt, Shurmur adapted to backup Case Keenum, and has effectively utilized his greater mobility. After Cook was lost, Shurmur turned to Latavius Murray and Jerick McKinnon, dubbed by the "two-headed monster" by receiver Stefon Diggs.

"(Shurmur is) good at what he does because he does a lot of studying as far as what works for his guys and what's going to put us in the best position to be successful," Diggs said.

Tight end Kyle Rudolph agreed.

"Pat's not trying to reinvent the wheel," Rudolph said. "He just finds out what we do well, and if we can do it five or six times a game instead of one or two, then we get more cracks at it."

"a key for Shurmur has been tailoring the offense to the strengths of the players available" - Almost sacrilege in the Sioux camp.  

I'd sure like to hear what people think this would have looked like at UND last year.  In my mind it wouldn't look like running a dive into 8 or 9 in the box with our 185 lb running back.  

• Upvote 1

If Rudolph is having a difficult time in the big sky ....he has absolutely ZERO chance against the 3/4 of the mvfc teams and all the fbs teams they have scheduled. 

Last year, Santiago didn't touch the ball offensively more then 16 times in a game.  This includes 7 touches vs mont st, 9 vs sac st and 8 vs e wash.   Simply incredible!   Johanneson  could of just as well been up on the catwalk with me as much as he was used. Izzy and the TEs are welcome as well.  It's a great place to take in a game ....

The predictability and lack of reading opposing D's ( using the talent the proper way) is astonishing given this is D1.  It actually should come with ease to run up and down on a big sky team, regardless of personnel. UND can make an opposing teams D look like the Baltimore ravens.  No way in hell that should happen with the talent they have.  

Bubba likes what he sees so no changes will be made....HUGE MISTAKE! 

Offensively....I think the optimistic few will believe next year will be better.  Unfortunately, I will label myself as a pessimist....

• Upvote 1

That's part of what bothers me so much about Rudolph. He's so intent on "his system" and running it exactly the way he wants that he disregards the personnel that he has and the strengths of the team. Can you imagine an actual screen play to Santiago or Oliviera? 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Execution and discipline goes a long way when running flex triple option football. The military academies are well versed in this. Unfortunately, the complete lack of a passing game does usually cost the military academies at least a couple games each and very season. It's a tough style to be successful with when you're suddenly down a few scores. 

Thus you need a QB who is an adequate passer.  This type of running game can open up the passing game.  Need to be creative with the kids we have.

3 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

Santiago should average 80 yds receiving next year if they use him right. Just like the Saints with Kamara.

We all said that last year.  Didn't happen.  The result is bubba has put himself in a position where the fan base will have little patience for anything that looks like coaching ineptitude.  In my opinion, lack of patience with this coaching staff is a good thing for the program.

4 hours ago, Irish said:

I'd sure like to hear what people think this would have looked like at UND last year.  In my mind it wouldn't look like running a dive into 8 or 9 in the box with our 185 lb running back.  

"Dive" is a fullback play in our offense.  We didn't run "dive" after norberg was injured. We ran inside zone, outside zone, power and counter with a sprinkling of some other concepts. Apparently we weren't comfortable running dive with our fullbacks  after norberg was injured.

I hear what you are saying philosophically, but we did not run "dive" with Santiago or any other tailback.

Inside zone, outside zone, power, counter etc have gap progressions for the running back reads. I could go into the specifics of those progressions if you'd like.

But, carry on...

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Longtime fan said:

If Rudolph is having a difficult time in the big sky ....he has absolutely ZERO chance against the 3/4 of the mvfc teams and all the fbs teams they have scheduled. 

Last year, Santiago didn't touch the ball offensively more then 16 times in a game.  This includes 7 touches vs mont st, 9 vs sac st and 8 vs e wash.   Simply incredible!   Johansson could of just as well been up on the catwalk with me as much as he was used. Izzy and the TEs are welcome as well.  It's a great place to take in a game ....

The predictability and lack of reading opposing D's ( using the talent the proper way) is astonishing given this is D1.  It actually should come with ease to run up and down on a big sky team, regardless of personnel. UND can make an opposing teams D look like the Baltimore ravens.  No way in hell that should happen with the talent they have.  

Bubba like what he sees so no changes will be made....HUGE MISTAKE! 

Offensively....I think the optimistic few will believe next year will be better.  Unfortunately, I will label myself as a pessimist....

I knew it was bad from watching, but these numbers are stark - At this point I couldn't be more disappointed in Bubba - he's the one who should know better and watched this unfold - and then decided not to make any changes.  Rudolph is just a lost cause.

42 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

"Dive" is a fullback play in our offense.  We didn't run "dive" after norberg was injured. We ran inside zone, outside zone, power and counter with a sprinkling of some other concepts. Apparently we weren't comfortable running dive with our fullbacks  after norberg was injured.

I hear what you are saying philosophically, but we did not run "dive" with Santiago or any other tailback.

Inside zone, outside zone, power, counter etc have gap progressions for the running back reads. I could go into the specifics of those progressions if you'd like.

But, carry on...

Thank you, professor, for that lesson in terminology.  Would it be more plain to you if I had said "Santiago up the middle"?  No need to go into specifics unless you have a pent up lecture you want to get out.

4 minutes ago, Irish said:

Thank you, professor, for that lesson in terminology.  Would it be more plain to you if I had said "Santiago up the middle"?  No need to go into specifics unless you have a pent up lecture you want to get out.

You just keep waxing philosophically about football bud. 

The only lecture I have is that you seem to not know what you're talking about again.

28 minutes ago, UNDvince97-01 said:

You just keep waxing philosophically about football bud. 

The only lecture I have is that you seem to not know what you're talking about again.

Look - other than using "incorrect terminology" to describe the infamous "first down Hawks - Santiago up the middle for 1.  Second and 9." play (a play every fan recognizes instantly) my main points here have been that Rudolph had a very talented group of running backs and used none effectively.  He refused to split Santiago out to try get him the ball in space or any other deviation from his "plan".  Tight ends were forgotten.  He refused to adapt to his talent.  In addition, his game calling never leaves anyone off balance - he is very predictable - and that to be a great team this has to change.   I would venture to say this is a sentiment shared by a majority of posters on the football thread.  How am I wrong?  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Irish said:

Look - other than using "incorrect terminology" to describe the infamous "first down Hawks - Santiago up the middle for 1.  Second and 9." play (a play every fan recognizes instantly) my main points here have been that Rudolph had a very talented group of running backs and used none effectively.  He refused to split Santiago out to try get him the ball in space or any other deviation from his "plan".  Tight ends were forgotten.  He refused to adapt to his talent.  In addition, his game calling never leaves anyone off balance - he is very predictable - and that to be a great team this has to change.   I would venture to say this is a sentiment shared by a majority of posters on the football thread.  How am I wrong?  

You're not wrong.  Everyone knew what you were referring to.  I wish we would open it up more and just go for broke throwing some Heil Larry's.

• Like 1