SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

5 minutes ago, Feff said:

Some of Keaton's best games and best moments came when we were down and utilizing a catch-up, hurry-up kind of offense. I remember one game 2 years ago I think it was, that he put the team on his back and carried the offense because most of the time they were hurrying up and he was controlling much of the playcalling at the line. Was he the best passer? No. But I think he was another example of the offense just not playing to a strength. 

NAU game probably right?  Yes think that was the game he put the offense on his shoulders and carried them, and I think he might have even gotten a little dinged up at one point but stayed in.   It's amazing what happens if you just try it.  Not that we need or want that type of offense all game long, but for cripes sakes keep the defense guessing at least a little bit.  Like Geaux_Sioux said.....man it sure seems like it would be easy to scheme against us as a D coordinator and player.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, geaux_sioux said:

Our offense doesn’t really play to any of the players’ strengths from what I’ve seen. Need more back shoulder throws to Wanzek down the sideline. TEs passes and screens to lighten the load on the OL. 

Seriously can you imagine how easy it is to play LB against us? TE in the game, no passing threat. Santiago in the game, a gap it is.

Keaton was at his best out of the pocket, whether we called a roll out or he scrambled from a drop back pass.  

I think Kett. is a more suited drop back guy, but also throws well on the run.  If we can't pass protect adequately with drop back........hmmm.....maybe slide the protection and roll outs??  Really, children figure things out by trial and error.

• Upvote 1

the thing is our offense didn’t really change once last year. Didn’t change when we were getting blown out by SD, not when we knew our playoff hopes were gone, and even the last few games where we as fans just wanted a win or two or at least some excitement to come watch. Just the same old boring offense. I’m not saying fire up the original PlayStation on the sideline, throw in NFL Blitz and take some plays from there. I’m saying maybe try some different formations, see what you have in an Alex Cloyd, a screen game, or what your most dynamic player can do in the slot. Just wanted to see something. 

• Like 1

One of the frustrating things in my book is that there is a lot to like about Bubba - bleeds Sioux Green, does a great job of promoting the Football Program, overall enthusiasm.  However, we have, in my opinion, the most talented stable of running backs we have ever seen.  Sadly, in my head here is Rudolph's reaction to any suggestion we get Santiago the ball in space, put all three on the field at the same time, use the tight end more, or just adjust to what the defense is giving us:  - Coaching malpractice in the first degree. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Irish said:

One of the frustrating things in my book is that there is a lot to like about Bubba - bleeds Sioux Green, does a great job of promoting the Football Program, overall enthusiasm.  However, we have, in my opinion, the most talented stable of running backs we have ever seen.  Sadly, in my head here is Rudolph's reaction to any suggestion we get Santiago the ball in space, put all three on the field at the same time, use the tight end more, or just adjust to what the defense is giving us:  - Coaching malpractice in the first degree. 

Supposedly it’s changing a bit .. cross your fingers!  Been told in spring ball they had multiple formations with Brady and John including John at wide out .  Will find out soon enough what’s changed

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ND1 said:

Supposedly it’s changing a bit .. cross your fingers!  Been told in spring ball they had multiple formations with Brady and John including John at wide out .  Will find out soon enough what’s changed

If this truly is the case, I almost hope we don't see it until Sam Houston....should piss pound MVSU no matter what we do and don't have a chance against Washington so maybe hold that close to the vest until we have a game we could really benefit from throwing in some surprises. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, shep said:

I can't imagine anything they come up with will be so outstanding that it has to be kept secret for a couple of games. Just use the personnel you have to the best of everyone's ability and the other team won't stop it even when they know it's coming.

Quaint idea.... don’t tell anyone! Can’t wait for the season to start!

11 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

If this truly is the case, I almost hope we don't see it until Sam Houston....should piss pound MVSU no matter what we do and don't have a chance against Washington so maybe hold that close to the vest until we have a game we could really benefit from throwing in some surprises. 

A screen pass should not be seen as some crazy surprise play.

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

NAU game probably right?  Yes think that was the game he put the offense on his shoulders and carried them, and I think he might have even gotten a little dinged up at one point but stayed in.   It's amazing what happens if you just try it.  Not that we need or want that type of offense all game long, but for cripes sakes keep the defense guessing at least a little bit.  Like Geaux_Sioux said.....man it sure seems like it would be easy to scheme against us as a D coordinator and player.  

why is it that bubba says he chose rudy because he was one of the hardest 0-coordinators to plan and coach against?????????

2 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

why is it that bubba says he chose rudy because he was one of the hardest 0-coordinators to plan and coach against?????????

This made me sad when I read it.  I think it speaks to the mentality on this coaching staff which shows in our inability/refusal to attack anyone's weakness and lack of game time adjustments to our schemes. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2018 at 11:30 AM, SIOUXFAN97 said:

The 1990's called, they want their offensive scheme back-

• Upvote 1

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 7:27 PM, Irish said:

Guess what happens when you have great RB's and crap OL play?   No matter how talented the RB they will fail with a bad OL.  As much as I think John Santiago is a great back he can't  be successful without some blocking.  Brady and James can still make positive gains with a crumby OL.  A good OL makes an average back look great, so why the hell is UND not recruiting and developing offensive linemen?

34 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

Their offense is not archaic at all. 

... nor is it exceptional. 

Now before Bison fans go bonkers, that's a compliment. As I have begrudgingly stated before ... 

NDSU does nothing exceptional on offense, but what they do they do exceptionally well. 

On ‎7‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 12:35 PM, gundy1124 said:

I was told Keaton would have been All American if we did hurry up, check with him, screens with lots of play action and dink n dunk passing game with TEs.  Not fibbing, very good source had that opinion. 

We did none of that, didn't play to the strengths of the most important offensive person on the field.

NAIA or D2?  Whomever said that didn't have a clue Gundy.  Didn't develop here much beyond his Soph year.  Great kid. I would agree we didn't utilize his strengths and we also didn't try and minimize his weaknesses.  I believe Herm Edwards said if you don't adjust your game plan to your players you will fail.  I don't think we have done that very well.  I said before with our talent at RB and lack of depth and strength in the Oline, we need to have a run option package that gets quick reads and as you have said get the ball to our playmakers in space.  Easier said than done but power running game requires power up front first and foremost.