SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

16 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

This is where it's nice having Chaves.  After watching Beau Baldwin and his success at Eastern, Chaves will hopefully encourage Bubba to move on from Rudolph.

It's early in his tenure but so far I like Chaves. Time will tell of course.

6 minutes ago, shep said:

Is his last name one syllable or two? Chavez is a common name with 2 syllables or is it like Chives a one syllable word?

I just pulled up his intro press conference.  He said people get it wrong a lot, but said it rhymes with one of the most outstanding student athletes ever to play here, so thank you Jonathan Toews.    

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/11/2018 at 4:22 PM, nodak651 said:

This is where it's nice having Chaves.  After watching Beau Baldwin and his success at Eastern, Chaves will hopefully encourage Bubba to move on from Rudolph.

i doubt that bubba will look to chaves as to whether to fire rudy (or kostitch)

24 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

pretty sure that if chaves walked into bubba's office and demanded he fire rudy he would say no...regardless of the outcome.

Who said that he would demand it?  Two people CAN have a difficult conversation without becoming adversarial.  However, Chaves can, and should, make it clear that if Bubba is unwilling to make needed changes (assuming the offense doesn't improve), he may not be the right man for the job.

Should Chaves just sit on his hands if we have another season where we do not reach our potential offensively?  I would think that both he and Bubba have higher standards than that.  Coaching is a results driven career.  Period. 

• Upvote 3

33 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Who said that he would demand it?  Two people CAN have a difficult conversation without becoming adversarial.  However, Chaves can, and should, make it clear that if Bubba is unwilling to make needed changes (assuming the offense doesn't improve), he may not be the right man for the job.

Should Chaves just sit on his hands if we have another season where we do not reach our potential offensively?  I would think that both he and Bubba have higher standards than that.  Coaching is a results driven career.  Period. 

If we have another pathetic offensive season, Rudy at a minimum absolutely has to go.  Most of our games are against Big Sky Teams.....who aren't known for their defenses.  

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

2016: 9-3
The offense averaged 26.9 ppg (removing the 5 D/ST TD's), 386 yards/game and 5.5 yards/play.
The defense gave up 22.0 ppg, 355 yards/game and 5.2 yards/play.

2017: 3-8
The offense averaged 23.0 ppg (removing the 4 D/ST TD's), 386 yards/game and 6.0 yards/play.
The defense gave up 34.6 ppg, 453 yards/game and 6.1 yards/play.

The offense scored 4 less points/game, had a better yards/play and averaged the same amount of yards/game yet the team won 6 fewer games. I know why the defensive numbers are what they are but to continue to blame the offense for the issues isn't the answer. With the style of football UND is built to play, anytime UND puts up 21 points or more, they should win and they lost 4 games hitting that benchmark last season. I'm not saying the offense can't be better but I don't think it is as far off from what it's supposed to be as some think nor is it even close to what the biggest issue has been.

Gawd, I hate u with your new newfangled facts and all. :D Pitchfork nation needs a goat to scape. What the hell else are fanboy boards for anyways?

14 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

Hell didn't UC Davis have almost like 40 points on us by halftime? 

In the first half against UC Davic, the offense put up 312 yards of offense, averaged 9.75 yards/play and scored 17 points with TOP being 16-14 in favor of UND with one 3 and out (two for the whole game). How in the hell is it the offense's fault the defense gave up 38 points and 421 yards in one half??

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

2016: 9-3
The offense averaged 26.9 ppg (removing the 5 D/ST TD's), 386 yards/game and 5.5 yards/play.
The defense gave up 22.0 ppg, 355 yards/game and 5.2 yards/play.

2017: 3-8
The offense averaged 23.0 ppg (removing the 4 D/ST TD's), 386 yards/game and 6.0 yards/play.
The defense gave up 34.6 ppg, 453 yards/game and 6.1 yards/play.

The offense scored 4 less points/game, had a better yards/play and averaged the same amount of yards/game yet the team won 6 fewer games. I know why the defensive numbers are what they are but to continue to blame the offense for the issues isn't the answer. With the style of football UND is built to play, anytime UND puts up 21 points or more, they should win and they lost 4 games hitting that benchmark last season. I'm not saying the offense can't be better but I don't think it is as far off from what it's supposed to be as some think nor is it even close to what the biggest issue has been.

How many they scored vs how many they should have with any semblance of high level play calling are different. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

In the first half against UC Davic, the offense put up 312 yards of offense, averaged 9.75 yards/play and scored 17 points with TOP being 16-14 in favor of UND with one 3 and out (two for the whole game). How in the hell is it the offense's fault the defense gave up 38 points and 421 yards in one half??

Remember a big chunk of that was on one play

6 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The offense put up 312 yards of offense, averaged 9.75 yards/play and scored 17 points in the first half vs. UC Davis. TOP was 16-14 in favor of UND. They had one 3 and out (two for the whole game). How in the hell is it the offense's fault the defense gave up 38 points and 421 yards in one half??

That was a piss pour defensive game.  1st play of the game I think, we call a 3 deep coverage and our players can't cover a deep post....total horsecrap.  And all season, we never seem to double the stud on the other team that we all know is getting the ball when it counts.  

But more often, with the ebb and flow of games, I recall our offense being pretty poor until it didn't really matter in the game, then stats were padded later in the game.

• Like 2