Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
shep

2018 Season

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, Parkers Pros said:

Until we get our O-line beefed up we are going to struggle some with our offense. I think this year we will see a change in our strategy. I think the coaching staff sees that we are struggling to recruit hogs but we are able to recruit big receivers who can block downfield. I see them working to get our playmakers the ball in space this year. We have speed and I would take Santiago out in space against anyone. I could be wrong but remain optimistic that they will utilize our strengths. Wait and see I guess.

I think there will be a few more adjustments on offense this year too.  Bubba knows it was his decision to keep Rudy and it's not just Rudy's butt if the offense stinks, it's his as well.  He gave up his position coaching responsibility to get more involved with the offense.  I'm hoping this translates to some good changes on offense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, BigGame said:

Yes, god forbid players have any personal responsibility for F"ing up.

I am not a fan with leveling 100% blame on coaches when a player does something they were not coached to do.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

I think there will be a few more adjustments on offense this year too.  Bubba knows it was his decision to keep Rudy and it's not just Rudy's butt if the offense stinks, it's his as well.  He gave up his position coaching responsibility to get more involved with the offense.  I'm hoping this translates to some good changes on offense.  

If anyone knows "What types of plays and schemes give defenses fit" wouldn't Bubba know from trying to defend them most of his career........

I, too, think we'll see a more fitting offense for our personnel this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

rudy and kostitch...no one else.

Bubba is wearing a head set.  Buck stops with him.  He can over rule any coach at anytime and  he hired these guys..  Overall I like what Bubba has done, but can't let him off the hook for any issues with Football team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of the time I feel like consistent play execution is a big issue for the offense.  It is also apparent we don't have the horses up front for some of the run game schemes and they need to make some adjustments.  You can have a great offensive play call but if timing is off even a little the play is blown.  One guy misses his assignment the play will likely fail.  Consistency is huge and I think it was a major problem last season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, BigGame said:

A lot of the time I feel like consistent play execution is a big issue for the offense.  It is also apparent we don't have the horses up front for some of the run game schemes and they need to make some adjustments.  You can have a great offensive play call but if timing is off even a little the play is blown.  One guy misses his assignment the play will likely fail.  Consistency is huge and I think it was a major problem last season.  

While the play calling and offensive overall scheme needs to improve from the coaching standpoint,  I definitely agree with this as well.  The OL is as strong as it's weakest link, because like you said if one guy wiffs on his block or misses his assignment that play gets blown up and the coordinator looks like an idiot for calling that play.  

I can't remember with injuries and everything last year, who was starting or mostly playing at OL the last two games.  And of those, who were seniors that are no longer on the team? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sioux94 said:

While the play calling and offensive overall scheme needs to improve from the coaching standpoint,  I definitely agree with this as well.  The OL is as strong as it's weakest link, because like you said if one guy wiffs on his block or misses his assignment that play gets blown up and the coordinator looks like an idiot for calling that play.  

I can't remember with injuries and everything last year, who was starting or mostly playing at OL the last two games.  And of those, who were seniors that are no longer on the team? 

SUU:

OL 53 APLIN, Grant OL 62 TOBIN, Ryan OL 67 ROONEY, Patric OL 68 BLAIR, Bryce OL 72 COX, Mat

EWU: 

LT 79 MORTEL, Noah LG 53 APLIN, Grant C 67 ROONEY, Patric RG 62 TOBIN, Ryan RT 72 COX, Mat

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, forksandspoons said:

SUU:

OL 53 APLIN, Grant OL 62 TOBIN, Ryan OL 67 ROONEY, Patric OL 68 BLAIR, Bryce OL 72 COX, Mat

EWU: 

LT 79 MORTEL, Noah LG 53 APLIN, Grant C 67 ROONEY, Patric RG 62 TOBIN, Ryan RT 72 COX, Mat

 

So based on those guys that played and are remaining it might be something like

LT - Mortel,  LG - Tobin,   C - Rooney,   RG - Blair,  RT -  ?   

Obviously some of those guys might not have been much ahead of some of the others and might get beat out.  Anybody have an predictions on who the starting OL will be and/or thoughts? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Sioux94 said:

LT - Mortel,  LG - Tobin,   C - Rooney,   RG - Blair,  RT -  Bubba

 

Wait maybe I should have put this :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lineman are hard to recruit. Good ones are tough to find and average ones are even tougher to develop and seeing as we are a developing program, we could use a drop down stud or a legacy kid from a former lineman that can play at this level. I believe that good players beget good players. Winning makes recruiting easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

We are way off the radar without a single mention. Time to win some big games and make people look at us again.

Really sucks basically starting over again as far as our reputation and respect goes.  The only damn good thing about this is we are the hunter again and not the hunted and some teams may overlook us.  Let's upset Sam Houston and get a nice jump on getting back into the conversation again. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

There will likely be a lot of shuffling of the teams between 15-25 with some dropping out and new ones outside the top 25 coming in.  As it stands right now we play 4 teams on our schedule that are in the top 25.  We need to beat Montana, Weber, and Sacramento State.  Montana and Weber are at home, and I hope Ketteringham plays big against his former team on the road.  We also play NAU who likely has a good chance at being in the top 25 when it's all said and done.  Could be a huge game at the end of the year against NAU, will be a tough one at the road.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Obviously his guy doesn’t understand how college football scheduling works. Games are scheduled u0 to 8-10 years in advance.  I way of knowing how good the opponent is going to be. 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/most-shameful-college-football-games-2018

6. North Dakota at Washington, Sept. 8

Non-conference games like this one aren't going to help the Pac-12's collective strength of schedule. Washington ranked in the top 20 in scoring offense and in the top five in scoring defense among FBS teams last season. North Dakota tied for ninth (out of 13 teams) in the Big Sky while sputtering to a 3-8 record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

Obviously his guy doesn’t understand how college football scheduling works. Games are scheduled u0 to 8-10 years in advance.  I way of knowing how good the opponent is going to be. 

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/most-shameful-college-football-games-2018

6. North Dakota at Washington, Sept. 8

Non-conference games like this one aren't going to help the Pac-12's collective strength of schedule. Washington ranked in the top 20 in scoring offense and in the top five in scoring defense among FBS teams last season. North Dakota tied for ninth (out of 13 teams) in the Big Sky while sputtering to a 3-8 record.

I'm hoping Washington and their fans are thinking this exact same thing going into the game and are extremely over confident.  Not that it is likely we pull off an upset, but I have a feeling.....or am certainly hoping we give them a better game than the Griz gave them last year.......63-7.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

U-Dub (as they call it) fans are all aflutter about 2018 Chick-fil-A Kickoff game against Auburn. 
https://www.seccountry.com/auburn/auburn-and-washington-to-meet-in-the-2018-chick-fil-a-kickoff-game 

 

 

U-Dub fans ... focus on War Eagle ... it's all about Auburn ... trip to Atlanta ... nothing to see the week after ... it's all about Auburn ... Auburn ... 
https://media1.giphy.com/media/rou0CTAp6Z8VW/source.gif 

;) 

 

PS - The Washington fans I know I've told (based on Montana last year) that I want 59.5 points or don't even talk to me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

It’s no small coincidence that after Chaves was hired the 2016 Big Sky Champs got their rings. He deserves credit for making things right.

I hope you are correct as it would bode well for the football program.  He came from a football school and I hope his focus remains there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×