Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
shep

2018 Season

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This just confirms all the conjecture on this topic previously.

UND football is grossly underfunded and I will continue to maintain my stance on this despite what others (mainly hockey goons) have to bitch about. When HPC phase II is funded and construction started maybe I'll step back a bit. 

The football program continues to be underfunded. I’m not talking about rings or phase II, I’m talking about day to day operations.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, UND1983 said:

Interesting timing.  All the belly aching can stop now.

 

UND Hockey wins National Championship April 9th, 2016; Receives their Championship rings September 28th, 2016.  172 days later.

UND Football wins the Big Sky Championship November 12, 2016; Recieves their Championship rings May 30th, 2018.  564 days later

Did the Basketball or Volleyball teams ever receive rings for 2016?

Not trying to be ani-hockey, I am a UND hockey fan like everyone else.  But seems a little unfair that funding for hockey rings was instantly available and other sports had to wait a year and a half later and maybe still waiting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

The football program continues to be underfunded. I’m not talking about rings or phase II, I’m talking about day to day operations.

What kinds of things do you mean?  How much underfunded?  How can we help as fans(football only funding)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND Hockey wins National Championship April 9th, 2016; Receives their Championship rings September 28th, 2016.  172 days later.

UND Football wins the Big Sky Championship November 12, 2016; Recieves their Championship rings May 30th, 2018.  564 days later

Did the Basketball or Volleyball teams ever receive rings for 2016?

Not trying to be ani-hockey, I am a UND hockey fan like everyone else.  But seems a little unfair that funding for hockey rings was instantly available and other sports had to wait a year and a half later and maybe still waiting.

I thought I remembered seeing the basketball teams got rings.  I'd assume volleyball did as well.

I believe REA "donated" for hockey rings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND Hockey wins National Championship April 9th, 2016; Receives their Championship rings September 28th, 2016.  172 days later.

UND Football wins the Big Sky Championship November 12, 2016; Recieves their Championship rings May 30th, 2018.  564 days later

Did the Basketball or Volleyball teams ever receive rings for 2016?

Not trying to be ani-hockey, I am a UND hockey fan like everyone else.  But seems a little unfair that funding for hockey rings was instantly available and other sports had to wait a year and a half later and maybe still waiting.

I am very glad they found the money for the football team. Football is more my thing.  I also saw someone tweet a picture of their volleyball ring just a few months ago. However was it not posted here that the hockey team does not get rings for winning a conference championship? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top of the Hill for Hockey and Football are National Championships.  With BB and VB the most they are going to achieve are conference championships,.  I think that is the difference.  I don't think Hockey should be receiving Conference Championship rings, and I not sure Football should either.

Do other FCS Teams give out Rings for Conference championships?  

More expensive for FB to give out rings that the others 4 combined based on number of players on the teams.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Big Green said:

Do other FCS Teams give out Rings for Conference championships?  

I know EWU did for the year they tied us for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND Hockey wins National Championship April 9th, 2016; Receives their Championship rings September 28th, 2016.  172 days later.

UND Football wins the Big Sky Championship November 12, 2016; Recieves their Championship rings May 30th, 2018.  564 days later

Did the Basketball or Volleyball teams ever receive rings for 2016?

Not trying to be ani-hockey, I am a UND hockey fan like everyone else.  But seems a little unfair that funding for hockey rings was instantly available and other sports had to wait a year and a half later and maybe still waiting.

This is one of many, many inequalities amongst the programs. It doesn't help anyone to be "careful" and caution against criticizing UND's untouchable hockey program. The inequality is so obvious it is disturbing. We shouldn't stand for it just because "UND is UND and hockey is UND". It needs to change some in light of UND's division I aspirations.  

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, UNDBIZ said:

I thought I remembered seeing the basketball teams got rings.  I'd assume volleyball did as well.

I believe REA "donated" for hockey rings.

Of course REA did ...

Got to love that entitled 52% ...

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I know this is pure fantasy, but do we really have to mention Grady ever again? If the dude wanted to be playing football, he'd be playing. From what I've been told by guys on the team that knew him: 

  • He didn't take his final exams after the season was over his freshman year. That's the move of someone who doesn't plan to be back or to go somewhere else.
  • He doesn't need the scholarship $.
  • He had a child at home and wanted to be more present. 
  • He had a second chance and didn't even show up.
  • He stiffed some of his teammates on paying rent and just left his stuff in the apartment (XBox, etc.). Didn't reply to voicemails, texts, etc. from the guys that thought of him as a friend.

He was a great talent. But to blame the coaching staff for not retaining him seems unreasonable. He DIDN'T want to be here. End of story.

 

2 hours ago, Ozzie82 said:

Thank you. 

So are you saying the Grady Train is warming up to come back to GF?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Siouxperfan7 said:

UND Hockey wins National Championship April 9th, 2016; Receives their Championship rings September 28th, 2016.  172 days later.

UND Football wins the Big Sky Championship November 12, 2016; Recieves their Championship rings May 30th, 2018.  564 days later

Did the Basketball or Volleyball teams ever receive rings for 2016?

Not trying to be ani-hockey, I am a UND hockey fan like everyone else.  But seems a little unfair that funding for hockey rings was instantly available and other sports had to wait a year and a half later and maybe still waiting.

Have to remember that their fund comes heavily because they put butts in seats. Can’t fault them for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Have to remember that their fund comes heavily because they put butts in seats. Can’t fault them for that.

Football averaged just under 10,000 in 2016 and just over 10,000 in 2017 which for UND’s #2 sport is pretty damn good. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Football averaged just under 10,000 in 2016 and just over 10,000 in 2017 which for UND’s #2 sport is pretty damn good. 

Agreed, I’m not slighting football, and am a big fan. Referring to other sports. I’m a UND fan in general but some sports generate more, and those sports have earned having bigger budgets. I do agree football needs more funding, just not sure where it comes from or how it is all allocated out.

my point was that hockey certainly earns their budget. Not trying to slight any other programs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Football averaged just under 10,000 in 2016 and just over 10,000 in 2017 which for UND’s #2 sport is pretty damn good. 

It’s simply not good enough. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LkvlleUNDFan said:

I know this is pure fantasy, but do we really have to mention Grady ever again? If the dude wanted to be playing football, he'd be playing. From what I've been told by guys on the team that knew him: 

  • He didn't take his final exams after the season was over his freshman year. That's the move of someone who doesn't plan to be back or to go somewhere else.
  • He doesn't need the scholarship $.
  • He had a child at home and wanted to be more present. 
  • He had a second chance and didn't even show up.
  • He stiffed some of his teammates on paying rent and just left his stuff in the apartment (XBox, etc.). Didn't reply to voicemails, texts, etc. from the guys that thought of him as a friend.

He was a great talent. But to blame the coaching staff for not retaining him seems unreasonable. He DIDN'T want to be here. End of story.

I can't bring up Grady?  It's a forum for UND football right? He was a scholarship player right?   Seems like the possibility is warranted. Can I talk about Torrey hunt or demon Taylor?  Just because you don't like Grady  (he didn't take his exams, he didn't need the scholly money, stiffed his guys from rent, he had a second chance)....etc. doesn't mean that they didn't exist in UND football. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, darell1976 said:

Football averaged just under 10,000 in 2016 and just over 10,000 in 2017 which for UND’s #2 sport is pretty damn good. 

Not really.   Look at the seasonal numbers hockey vs football and you'll see who brings in the most.   I'll grant you, hockey has a built in advantage due to the number of games, but that's just way it is.   Hockey pays the bills.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CMSioux said:

I am very glad they found the money for the football team. Football is more my thing.  I also saw someone tweet a picture of their volleyball ring just a few months ago. However was it not posted here that the hockey team does not get rings for winning a conference championship? 

Is this or is this not true?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TRex said:

Not really.   Look at the seasonal numbers hockey vs football and you'll see who brings in the most.   I'll grant you, hockey has a built in advantage due to the number of games, but that's just way it is.   Hockey pays the bills.

Hockey also has had stellar seasons basically every year (except last season) where football has had average to poor with the exception of 2016, and 2011 (in the DI era). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I’m not slighting football, and am a big fan. Referring to other sports. I’m a UND fan in general but some sports generate more, and those sports have earned having bigger budgets. I do agree football needs more funding, just not sure where it comes from or how it is all allocated out.

my point was that hockey certainly earns their budget. Not trying to slight any other programs.

Since football is underbudgeted would that reflect their low win counts in the past 10 years? Or are they underbudgeted because of their low win count? Chicken or the egg argument.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, TRex said:

Not really.   Look at the seasonal numbers hockey vs football and you'll see who brings in the most.   I'll grant you, hockey has a built in advantage due to the number of games, but that's just way it is.   Hockey pays the bills.

Which means it is all that matters, right?

If that is how we are going to look at it, we should just move back down to Division II.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, siouxfan512 said:

Agreed, I’m not slighting football, and am a big fan. Referring to other sports. I’m a UND fan in general but some sports generate more, and those sports have earned having bigger budgets. I do agree football needs more funding, just not sure where it comes from or how it is all allocated out.

my point was that hockey certainly earns their budget. Not trying to slight any other programs.

If you under-fund a sport, it will never be able to "earn a bigger budget". Your thinking is self-defeating and not practical for an intercollegiate athletics program of our size and scope. Most schools have one big revenue sport to help fund the others. Hockey is ours. If we don't use the windfall from hockey to build our other programs, they will never achieve anything.

If we are going to continue clinging to this hockey-only doctrine, we might as well drop back down to Division II.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

What kinds of things do you mean?  How much underfunded?  How can we help as fans(football only funding)?

My apologies for the vague post, but I’m not able to answer all of your questions nor am I am willing to publically answer the ones I can. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is one of many, many inequalities amongst the programs. It doesn't help anyone to be "careful" and caution against criticizing UND's untouchable hockey program. The inequality is so obvious it is disturbing. We shouldn't stand for it just because "UND is UND and hockey is UND". It needs to change some in light of UND's division I aspirations.  

When the FB team wins a national championship not just a conference title then they should get rings pronto too.  Until then they need to get their program in order and stop whining about Hockey.  They need to have a bit of playoff success before they start complaining.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×