SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

4 hours ago, Dale said:

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Rain Slater has decommited from UND and is going to the university of Manitoba

Bubba needs to learn how to recruit in the US and leave Canada to Berry.   I just shake my head and wonder about stuff like this, surely we can find enough talented players without going out of the country.   

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, gundy1124 said:

Serious question.  Isn't Canadian College football a total joke??  I have never seen a game on, ever.  I don't watch the NFL draft that close, any Canadian College players taken?  

About as often as German league players. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, CBass79 said:

Hey Guys,

New to the forum and, as i am a transplanted North Dakotan out here in Seattle figured it would be a good time to join up and see if anyone will be making the trip to the Pacific Northwest for the game. It will be my 2.5 year old son's first game (he will be decked out in Green and White, of course) and i played for Coach Berg and am hoping to run into him as well. Would love to see some of my fellow Midwesterners and UND fans.

Cheers,

Ryan

Will definately be there. My kids last year plus the trip to Utah last year was a blast and great Utah fans. How are the Washington fans? Hear its one of the best college atmospheres in the country with the water/boats. Hope the tail gateing is good? UND alumni put on a great one for us last year in Utah. You be sitting with the UND crowd?

13 hours ago, Dale said:

Long time lurker, first time poster...

Rain Slater has decommited from UND and is going to the university of Manitoba

There is a real possibility this is grades related just like Z. Williams a few years ago.  The timing lends to that, also.  

Not 100% sure obviously but been told that may be the reason.  Too bad, the kid is a solid football player.

9 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

Serious question.  Isn't Canadian College football a total joke??  I have never seen a game on, ever.  I don't watch the NFL draft that close, any Canadian College players taken?  

There are several U of M players in the NFL

David Onyemata was taken in the 4th round by the Saints a couple of years ago.

Geoff Gray is on the Browns roster

Israel Idonije who played for the Bears, Browns and Lions and is recently retired pro is a U OF M grad

Plus tons of CFL players.  It’s certainly a program that can produce pros

13 hours ago, UND1983 said:

I have an extemely hard time believing that.  Think about it for a minute: when's the last time you heard a kid say NOTHING to anybody about being held up by his current school when wanting a transfer?  So apparently he is sitting at home kicking the couch cause UND won't release him.  Lol, cmon.  

Next point: does Bubba seem like the type to screw over a kid?  

Final point: he doesn't need to be fully released to transfer to another school.  He would just have to sit out a full year, right?  A school doesn't own a kid for 4 years.  Absurd.

If UND wasn't releasing him he would have appealed.  Anybody hear about his appeal or see the paperwork?  

All three points are spot on.  If Grady really wanted to play football he would be playing this season somewhere.  If he could just show up, not go to school and not go to practice not work in the off-season and not really be committed he probably would be playing somewhere.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dale said:

There are several U of M players in the NFL

David Onyemata was taken in the 4th round by the Saints a couple of years ago.

Geoff Gray is on the Browns roster

Israel Idonije who played for the Bears, Browns and Lions and is recently retired pro is a U OF M grad

Plus tons of CFL players.  It’s certainly a program that can produce pros

4-5 guys, say over 4 years in the NFL draft??  That's about one half of one percent of draftees, negligible.  I think most Canadian kids understand if they have NFL aspirations, you get into the NCAA.

This site is so funny....programs and coaches are open  to criticism....which is good....with the exception of the 'holy grail' of UND sports....hockey....I've been temporarily suspended and threatened with banishment for speaking critical of that program and speaking Ill of 'the baby jesus '...(small J)...his highness David Hakstol...

the name of the site tells all....if truly supportive of UND...should want to drop reference  to it and unify ALL  behind the new UND moniker and symbol...that old name 'ain't ever coming back'

Two  area programs overly riddled with  arrogance, self indulgence and  self import....NDSU  football and UND hockey...

14 minutes ago, John W. said:

This site is so funny....programs and coaches are open  to criticism....which is good....with the exception of the 'holy grail' of UND sports....hockey....I've been temporarily suspended and threatened with banishment for speaking critical of that program and speaking Ill of 'the baby jesus '...(small J)...his highness David Hakstol...

the name of the site tells all....if truly supportive of UND...should want to drop reference  to it and unify ALL  behind the new UND moniker and symbol...that old name 'ain't ever coming back'

Two  area programs overly riddled with  arrogance, self indulgence and  self import....NDSU  football and UND hockey...

The reason you get suspended is because you go completely off topic in order to rip hockey and Hakstol, as you're doing now. The only reason you do it is to get a response and drive the thread into the dumpster. Do not respond with another off topic post here or you'll be suspended again. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

So tell me....I want to know...where should I respond to be critical of hockey and coach Hak....??  I did mention FB which is why I responded here...

let eat me know the appropriate spot....and I'll happily attack arrogance there!!!!

1 hour ago, John W. said:

So tell me....I want to know...where should I respond to be critical of hockey and coach Hak....??  I did mention FB which is why I responded here...

let eat me know the appropriate spot....and I'll happily attack arrogance there!!!!

I think you and moser53 should start up your own site and post there. 

• Upvote 4

9 hours ago, John W. said:

I concede I was critical of Coach Hak too...you know , when he was UND"s coach. Let it go!

9 hours ago, John W. said:

Gotta be killing you that after your tirade about him getting fired, they come back and make the playoffs with a very young team.  

12 hours ago, John W. said:

I would think if you want to be critical of coach Hak you would go to a Flyers fan website.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There's no question the current offensive philosophy needs a lot of work. It's far too reliant on a basic inside running game, that quite frankly, when you have average at best offensive linemen, will not work.  There needs to be a greater emphasis on the passing game. I'm not saying open this thing up like Sam Houston State does,  but the quarterback position and offensive formations/calls associated needs to open up some.  

People joke that all three RBs should be on the field at the same time; I don't think that's a joke at all. I seriously think an innovative offensive coordinator would find a way to have that happen consistently for UND's offense. Swallow your pride for wanting to be this "basic smash mouth team" that you aren't and actually put a little thought into the offense. The best players need to consistently be on the field.  I really question if this offensive staff can do that. 

It's too complicated, which in football is bad.  Really bad.  Way too many variables built in.

I've seen this "complicated offense" notion a lot here.

What's complicated about turning around, handing the ball to a RB and hoping he breaks one?

It seems the QB did not have the option to audible out of a play and once heard Z got scolded for doing that. So that takes away another potential complication.

9 minutes ago, shep said:

I've seen this "complicated offense" notion a lot here.

What's complicated about turning around, handing the ball to a RB and hoping he breaks one?

It seems the QB did not have the option to audible out of a play and once heard Z got scolded for doing that. So that takes away another potential complication.

The opposite.  They have 3-4 options at the line for each play and they must check to the right one.  As they do that the OL/TE must check immediately as well.  Too many variables in a short time to play fast, IMO.  Audibles are a part of football but when they change every week it has to bog down the players eventually.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

There's no question the current offensive philosophy needs a lot of work. It's far too reliant on a basic inside running game, that quite frankly, when you have average at best offensive linemen, will not work.  There needs to be a greater emphasis on the passing game. I'm not saying open this thing up like Sam Houston State does,  but the quarterback position and offensive formations/calls associated needs to open up some.  

People joke that all three RBs should be on the field at the same time; I don't think that's a joke at all. I seriously think an innovative offensive coordinator would find a way to have that happen consistently for UND's offense. Swallow your pride for wanting to be this "basic smash mouth team" that you aren't and actually put a little thought into the offense. The best players need to consistently be on the field.  I really question if this offensive staff can do that. 

Exactly.

In order to succeed with the level of play calling..... UND would need 5 starters on the line that are NFL ready.   

• Upvote 1