SiouxSports.com Forum

2018 Season

shep

2017 is over. We can b7tch about it all we want, but it's over.

I'll use Brian Kelly at the other UND as an example of what I hope Bubba does next year-make some coaching changes but with them a concept change on how the team plays. Kelly was on his last legs last year and needed a good season to save his job. May be true for Bubba too. Along those lines, won't matter who the AD is-Kennedy will decide.

Hopefully we don't have the injuries next year and that in and of itself means the team will be better.

Add some RSFr who make a difference and get increased size and strength of all those who played a lot this year. With that, guys like Rastas and Blubaugh will not be starters and will be nice depth for the D. On O, hoping the Oline (which at times gave Studs some time today) will be better and I really think that the QB will be better next year. The speed at WR should improve as well with RSFr's.  Still need to figure out how to put Brady, Santiago and JJ on the field a LOT!

Playoffs next year and a couple of W's along the way OR BUST!

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Old School Guy said:

Watching the Miami vs. ND game.  I love the "turnover chain" implemented by The U. It looks silly to adults but if young players buy in and force turnovers to get the honor of wearing the chain. I say go for it. Its about motivating your players. Bring the chain the North!

Unfortunately, most of the guys on our D are too small for a chain like that. Gonna have to settle for a bracelet!

• Upvote 1

So, off-season homework list:

- getting everyone healthy and strong
- resetting the team culture; personally, as a fan I will not stand for any off-field issues
- seven mountainous, mean, nasty, villainous offensive linemen 
- finding a group of four starting LBs that actually combined weigh over 850 pounds (about 950 would be good)
- having the young secondary reflect on their seasons (good and bad) and grow from there
- having a real two-deep and start on a three-deep 
- figuring out how to go beyond the offensive White or Blue group plays*, and especially on first down

*See NFL Challenge at 1:00 mark and 2:37 mark.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Midwestern Hawk said:

If we can get everyone back, have a great offseason, find a qb, I think we can have a great season in 2018.

I have heard that Kruse, Ott, Larson will all be standout contributors next season for us.  

How about McKinney and Greibel? Are they going to contribute?

2 things I heard in the last two weeks:

Carson Wentz sat for 3 years before getting a starting job at that school south of us.

Aaron Rodgers was NOT recruited much out of HS and went JUCO for 2 years.

I think sometimes we get too excited about flashy recruits when it's these types of guys who can make your team. Of course, both are QB's and that makes their progress more noticeable. Anyone on the current roster that may be under the radar that we never talk about?

12 hours ago, shep said:

2 things I heard in the last two weeks:

Carson Wentz sat for 3 years before getting a starting job at that school south of us.

Aaron Rodgers was NOT recruited much out of HS and went JUCO for 2 years.

I think sometimes we get too excited about flashy recruits when it's these types of guys who can make your team. Of course, both are QB's and that makes their progress more noticeable. Anyone on the current roster that may be under the radar that we never talk about?

When he committed I thought DE Carl Engwall was gonna be a good get for us, I think he's been banged up most of the time since he got here, or maybe he's just stuck behind the depth or isn't that good.  I am excited for the DL trio of Seguin, Ott, and Morrison.  Would be nice for some of our better recruits to force themselves onto the field at a young age simply because they are that talented. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, SkoHawks said:

When he committed I thought DE Carl Engwall was gonna be a good get for us, I think he's been banged up most of the time since he got here, or maybe he's just stuck behind the depth or isn't that good.  I am excited for the DL trio of Seguin, Ott, and Morrison.  Would be nice for some of our better recruits to force themselves onto the field at a young age simply because they are that talented. 

With the fr DL I've heard that Honerlaw is also really good. Less heralded and a steal.

7 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

With the fr DL I've heard that Honerlaw is also really good. Less heralded and a steal.

Big enough? 

I started looking at BS team rosters to see who brings lots of players back (SUU is one and EWU too) I noticed, having looked at 3 teams so far (SUU, PSU and EWU) that many if not most true freshmen linemen are the same size as our guys in that 230-260 range. I know this isn't a scientific study, but it caught my attention.

2 hours ago, shep said:

Big enough? 

I started looking at BS team rosters to see who brings lots of players back (SUU is one and EWU too) I noticed, having looked at 3 teams so far (SUU, PSU and EWU) that many if not most true freshmen linemen are the same size as our guys in that 230-260 range. I know this isn't a scientific study, but it caught my attention.

He came in at 6’3” 250lbs. I’m curious to see where Morrison and Ott are at weight wise by spring ball.

• 3 weeks later...